View Full Version : Just purchased a second GL2

Bill Hardy
May 7th, 2004, 04:08 PM
After careful consideration after a year with my present GL2 I have decided to order its mate; a second GL2. My cam has been so reliable and has given high quality images even in low light as long as I take the time to adjust settings correctly. Sure it has a tendency to overproduce reds but I have yet to see a bride in bright red wedding dress. Now I will have 2 GL2 cams and a Panasonic PVDV953 three chip cam as a catch all cam for my May 22nd wedding. All of the lighting is yellowish incandescent, I mean giant ceiling chandeliers. I may choose to dim all of the chapel lighting to a low minimal glow. The chapel is large and can seat up to 300 people. I may then set up a couple of hallogens with barn doors to keep guest agitation to a minimum and perhaps even give more ambiance. I thought it strange when at my last gig an official demanded the banquet halls neon lights turned off and made me use my own hallogen lights on stands because he said the guests preferred it, as most were in the dark and most of the light was concentrated where the action was. The resulting video was incredible. With barn doors this seemed to make the guests even more comfortable. Go figure...

Just thought of something: I should turn up the chandelier lighting to it's brightest (a wall variable wall switch controlls brightness) and white balance the GL2 during a rehearsal. This way I can determine if extra lighting is not needed during the actual wedding. If the dull yellow incandescent lighting can be white balanced correctly then I may go with it after all. Hey I can even try both ways and present the hallogen/incandescent footage to the bride and groom and let them decide.