View Full Version : Low light stuff

Eugene Kosarovich
August 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM
For those of you that have a PDW-700/800 and a PDW-F335/F355, how does the low light performance compare? Is there a full stop of difference?

Same question for a PDW-EX1/EX3 and a PDW-F335/F355.

Also, do they all have the same type of noise filters like the PDW-F335/F355 has?

Is there any chance Sony will do a firmware upgrade where the low noise filter can be tied to the gain setting? I mean, for instance, I always want Low Noise 1 set for +9dB or greater, and it would be great to tie that in so flipping my gain switch did both instead of having to go in a menu which is rather cumbersome in a dynamic shooting situation.

Thanks.

Ben Ruffell
August 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I have the 700 and the EX3. I have used the 350 extensively in the past.

The 700 is very sensitive. I reckon it's about an 800 iso.

It is a huge improvement over the 300 series.

On both the 700 and the EX3 I have used gain with no problems. On the 700 during a nighttime breaking news event I had 12db gain with no noticable loss in image quality.

During the day I need ND filters to keep the exposure in a reasonable range.

Alister Chapman
August 10th, 2009, 02:39 AM
The 700 is around 2 stops more sensitive than the f350. it's also a lot lot quieter. It has a low noise mode that is a high frequency noise filter and is usual to have this on all the time as it makes no noticable difference to sensitivity, resolution or dynamic range. As has been said even at 12db gain the 700 pictures are perfectly useable. One of the biggest problems I have with the 700 is that at times it is just too sensitive requiring the use of additional ND filters.