View Full Version : New GL2 has territorial pit bull driver?

Bill Hardy
May 14th, 2004, 04:58 PM
My old GL2 works beautifully with my 17" Powerbook and firewire 800 external hard drive. I can plug the cam in with the HD and capture video onto the exterior HD no problemo. When the new GL2 is switched with the old, using the same firewire chord and the same GL2 settings, it will not let the Final cut express software come up. Same thing with iMovie. The system profiler acknowledges both the old GL2 and the exterior firewire 800 HD at the same time but comes up with "not found" when the new cam is plugged in. It cannot find the ext HD or the cam. BUT get this; when I unplug the Exterior HD the system profiler recognizes the new GL2 and Final cut express will let me capture from the new cam. Something in the new cam is saying it does not allow any other HD to be plugged in or it will cause havok. Guess I will have to return the unit for an exchange after my May 22nd wedding. Bummer. The new cam plays back and records fine. Hope this is not with all the newer units...

Ken Tanaka
May 14th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Actually, there is a familiar ring to your saga, Bill. Have you researched this over at the Apple support site?

Bill Hardy
May 14th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Yah, just got back from there and here are some replies to a guy with the same problem:

Since I connected a 320 GB LaCie BigDisk Extreme via FW 800, my Canon GL2 will not connect properly. The system freezes when I hook up the GL2 and turn it to VCR mode. Have tried everything suggested by LaCie + anything that I can think of - no banana. Everything work just fine when I disconnect the BigDisk and connect the camera to the FW 400 port in the front or in the back.

Any idea where to go next?

Mac G5 dual 2 GHz; Mac OS X (10.3.x); 1.5 GB DDR SDR

William B. Gates
Level 3

I have found the problem but not the solution guys. It IS THE CANON GL2. I bought a GL2 about a year ago and it was so compatable with my firewire 800 external HD and my 17" Rev "A" Powerbook that I ordered another GL2. The new GL2 hogs the firewire port. As long as the external HD is plugged in it wont let FCE start up. System profiler detects no firewire inputs at all. My old GL2 and external HD both appear on the system profiler. It may be we are just getting defective cams. The new GL2 records and plays back fine however. I am sending mine back to exchange it after my May 22nd wedding. It is Canon's problem, not Lacie's or Apple's in my opinion. I'd better try my new Panasonic PVDV953 to see if it is OK. If it is I may hold off sending in the new GL2, since either my old GL2 or the 953 may be used with the exterior HD. I mean I had to force quit with the new GL2 plugged in. My 17" would not restart until I unplugged it. Very scary episode.

17" Powerbook; Mac OS X (10.3.x); 1 Gig RAM

William B. Gates
Level 3

Boo-yeah!...the Panasonic PVDV953 allows FCE to capture with the external firewire 800 HD plugged in. I think I will save the postage bucks on sending the new GL2 in for an exchange. Canon, shame on you. However, don't feel bad about the GL2 Firewire speed of 100 MB/sec because the PVDV953 gets the same according to system profiler. I suspect this is a standard for all DV cams.

Bill Hardy
May 14th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Here is the link to that discussion; hope it works:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@91.nNwnaaajmOR.2@.6890efc1

You may need to be a member to get there. Others have indeed had the same problem. I am using the name William B. Gates in the last few entries of that thread which was posted here.

That poster's idea about the plug in firewire PC card seems like a good idea. Why not give my Powerbook card slot some use? Anyone know of any compatable brands that look nice?

Ok, looks like MacAlley has a nice one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=3365&Item=MACFHBUS2