View Full Version : combining projects. to one track

Alfred Tomaszewski
May 17th, 2004, 09:22 PM
i want to combine projects to one track. how would i go about doing this. do i export each one and then combine the files? and if so what do i export it to? if not then what is the best way.

thanks in advance.

and thanks to Jeff for the compression help yesterday. It helped a lot.

Jeff Donald
May 17th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Your method will work fine, export to full resolution (double check the export video and audio settings) Quicktimes. Open a new project and import both Quicktimes and you're good to go. Oh, you're welcome, I'm glad it worked out. The more I use Compressor, the more I like it.

Alfred Tomaszewski
May 17th, 2004, 09:52 PM
would exporting it to dv streams be alright?

Jeff Donald
May 17th, 2004, 09:59 PM
It should be OK. I think it might be slightly lower quality, but I don't remember.

Alfred Tomaszewski
May 17th, 2004, 10:03 PM
doesnt exporting to a quicktime movie compress the file? what about exporting to a final cut pro movie?

Jeff Donald
May 17th, 2004, 10:09 PM
FCP movie would be fine also. DV is what requires compression. I don't remember about QT, but I don't think so. I'll look it up when I'm at my office tomorrow. It's hell when you start to get old.

Ignacio Rodriguez
May 17th, 2004, 10:35 PM
DV is a a form of compressed video. QuickTime is an architecture that can contain DV25, DV50, DVCPROHD and many other forms of video including the venerable Cinepaq, the controversial Sorenson and the bandwidth-saver H.263. An FCP Movie is the same thing as a QuickTime movie. As I understand it, a DV stream is just a a dump of the Firewire DV video and is the same thing qualitywise as a QuickTime file with the DV codec but can be somewhat smaller. I think iMovie uses DV stream files instead of QuickTime files natively, but can import and export QuickTime DV.

So Alfred, assuming your project has DV25 content then as long as you make the QuickTime movie using the DV25 codec you should not loose any quality at all, especially since FCP will only recompress frames that need it, like the results of transitions, color corrections, speed changes, and so on.