View Full Version : More Sound Questions

Alan Houghtaling
May 17th, 2004, 09:39 PM
I have a couple of audio questions for some of the experts out here regarding the GL2 - Probably pretty basic for most of you, but I'm a newbie -

1.) Is an XLR adaptor needed in order to have separate audio tracks or does the camera itself already have that?

2.) There seems to be a split opinion out here as to whether the XLR is necessary when only running short lengths of cable - For interview sessions in a documentarty, what are your thoughts on this? Will an adaptor that goes from a mic (say the AT897) right to the camera really have that much of a difference in post? I guess the bigger question is what are the overall perks of getting an XLR adaptor?

3.) Also, at this point I'm thinking of going with the AT 897 after much research, most of it on this site - Any thoughts on a companion clip on system that won't break the budget (under $200) - I'll be documentarty work this summer, with interviews and some run and gun stuff if that helps

And I also just wanted to say thanks for everyone who posts out here - I don't even have my camera yet and this site has already been an unbelievlably valuable asset to have access to - Hats off to everyone out here!

Ken Tanaka
May 17th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Alan,

1) The GL2 can intrinsically record two separate audio tracks, and it normally does so straight from its stereo mic (which is actually two mics). Adding an XLR adapter will have the practical effect of splitting those channels into separate mediums.

2) The principal advantages of using XLR cables and connectors are (a) a far more secure physical connection between components, (b) compatibility with professional-grade audio components, and (c) inhibition of line noise through the use of balanced transmission. I strongly recommend using XLR, even for relatively short runs.

3) Best to pose this question separately in the Now Hear This section to get opinions on lavs. You'll probably find 10+ pages of current posts on the topic. Be sure to specify whether you're looking for a wireless or a wired system.