View Full Version : AT897 Mic with GL-2

May 19th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Does anyone use an AT897 microphone with a GL-2?
If so, I wonder how you like it?

Thanks,
Dan

Pete Bauer
May 20th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Since it is my first "real" mic, I not able to make comparisons to other mics, but my setup is:
- GL2, usually with WD-58H 0.7 adapter
- AT-897 mounted w/Beyer EA86 hotshoe shockmount, sometimes with a big Lightwave EQ-104 fuzzy (note: this shorter fuzzy is the right size for the 897, NOT the longer EQ-106).
- Sign XLRPRO

Importantly, even when using the WD-58H at max wide-angle, the fuzzy does not intrude into the frame.

From my limited amateur mucking about with this setup, I'm quite happy with the audio quality. Seems to give me a clean, pretty uncolored recording. I've tried just a little bit of "proximity effect" to get that deeper radio-guy voice in the recording by voicing over from about 6 inches from the mic. Works pretty well. It is still my voice, but has a richer sound than recording from a greater distance.

I'll try to comment on "hotness" though. I try to keep the manual audio gain on the GL2 at not more than around 2/3 up. Recording not-so-loud sounds such as a person talking from 20' across a quiet room requires me to gain up the Sign to max or near max in order to get the level all the way up to the -12dB line in the viewfinder. I don't know if more experienced folks would shrug their shoulders, or would consider my setup is a little "hard of hearing." Many folks have written here on DVInfo.net that the Senn Me-66 is a hot (some say too hot) mic, so if that kind of issue is a concern, you might want to compare the two mics directly.

I personally haven't found this to be a problem; I just gain up if needed and it sounds good...especially after a quick run through a noise filter in Adobe Audition to lose any slight amplifier noise. If I recall correctly, Audition shows recorded silence as about -55 to -58 dB in my setup, but that would be mostly a reflection of the GL2 amplifier, wires, XLRPRO etc that are all between the mic and the tape, and any slight background noise in the house that I don't notice with my own ears. But perhaps someone who actually knows how to use all this stuff properly could weigh in?

Overall, this amateur feels like he got a pretty darn good mic for the price!

May 21st, 2004, 07:07 AM
Thanks Pete. Your response was very helpful. How does this mic compare to the on-board mic and How do you like that wide angle lens?