View Full Version : Your comments on the Schriber 568 w/ Canon GL-2

May 21st, 2004, 07:53 AM
I'm doing some microphone comparisons for the GL-2. I need something which
has a longer distance than the on-board mic, has a wide enough pick up pattern for two or three people if necessary, and has pretty good sound quality for documentary videography.

If you are using the Schriber 568 with a GL-2, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Dan

David Billingsley
May 21st, 2004, 03:34 PM
I had the Schriber 568 shotgun mic but there were a few things I did't like - so I returned it in favor of a Sinn ME66.

What I liked:

Price

What I didn't like:

Weight (Heavy)

On/Off switch (too easy to operate - easy to turn on inadvertently)

Hiss - Level of hiss on long range setting unacceptable - short range OK.

Hope this helps - HAVE A GREAT DAY!

dave b.

May 22nd, 2004, 09:07 AM
Thanks for your input Dave.

How do you like the ME66? Do you use this with the GL-2?
Does it have an omni and super-cardoid option?

Thanks,
Dan

David Billingsley
May 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
I like the ME66 and yes it is being used with a GL-2.

How I use it:

1) On camera via LightWave mount and Sign Video Adapter (ME66 is XLR)

2) On boom via 25' XLR cable to Sign Video Adapter to GL-2.

3) On Boom via 25' XLR cable to Sound Device 302 field mixer to Sign Video Adapter to GL-2. Sometimes I include a SENN Evol 500 wireless mic via the SD 302 mixer also.

Remember - if you want to go to a PRO mic you will need a XLR adapter to interface to the GL-2 Mini stereo mic input. Two good brands are BeachTec and Sign Video. The ME66 mic out is hot and the adapter lets you control the mic output going to the GL-2.

The ME66 is a set length mono shotgun mic. The XLR adapters allow you to take a mono mic output and send it to both right and left channels on your GL-2.

This setup has worked very well for me. I have done some documentries containing lengthly interviews and the ME66 on a boom works great. (This is a retirement hobby)

Any good pro mic will give much better results than the GL-2 mic. The closer the mic is to the source - the better - very important.

I would recommend purchasing Jay Rose's book - "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video". It will be a great help in learning to capture better sound - which is much more difficult than video.

There are many good pro mics available - the ME66 is in the good bang for the buck class ($400). You can go as high as the $1400 range.

Hope this helps - HAVE A GREAT DAY - dave b.

May 23rd, 2004, 12:09 AM
Thanks David. Extremely informative and very detailed.
:)
Dan

Mustafa Davis
June 8th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Dan,

I have the Schriber and its an OK mic, but really only OK. Like dave said...this sucker is heavy and the on-off switch has decided to sneak to the off position a few times on its own. And the HISS...the neverending hiss.

Overall, I would say that if you are going to do any serious work, you gotta move up in the mic world a bit.

I bought the Audio Technica 897 (from DVinfo.net sponsor "Zotzdigital") and I love it. It is light, no on-off switch, and the sound is very crisp.

I use the Sign Video XLR-PRO adapter with it.

Hope this helps, better late than never.

Jeff Price
June 10th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I went through two of the Schreibers before getting the Sennheiser. The hiss of the Schreibers was really annoying. I talked to one of their engineers and they said it was news to them. However, an internet search shows that it is not that uncommon of a complaint....