View Full Version : GS400 is also gone here!

Frank Granovski
May 24th, 2004, 05:05 AM
This Spanish Panasonic site had the GS400 listed, but it's gone!

http://www.panasonic.es/vergagr.asp?codegam=01&coderang=EN&codeprd=310

What's happening? Pana's pulled the plug? Why? What was wrong with it? Are we now only getting another Japanese Domestic? And it won't be called the GS400? Was it because of the "4" meaning death (in Japanese)?

Patricia Kim
May 24th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Arguments in favor of a foreign (non-Japanese) gs100 relative: no more 953s being produced, no more gs100s being produced, not producing something in the msrp $1500 range leaves the field to Sony and damages Panasonic's rep for having intro'd the first under $2k 3ccd cam. Same line of argument generally applies to a Japanese model.

Arguments against the intro of a foreign gs100 relative: according to supervideo (sorry, but this is the only source where I've seen this point made) - Panasonic's sales of the 953 weren't great - maybe enough so to be discouraging (my speculation there)? If the profit margin isn't there, is it worth it to Panasonic to keep its hand in - or better to try for greater market share with those smaller, cheaper cams it's come out with recently?

Arguments against the intro of a Japan only gs100 relative: the money is in the smaller lipstick cams. [Interesting that Pana has not, apparently, stopped production of the sv-av100, which records stills, mpeg2 and 4 (I think) to an SD card. There's even a variant introduced this year that purports to play mp3 files. What next.] - In any case, if there is a Japan only gs100 upgrade, I would still doubt it would be named the gs400. Why take chances, even if you pronounce it "yon-hyaku" instead of "shi (death)-hyaku"?

Tom Koerner
June 9th, 2004, 11:59 AM
I figured it was worth a shot:

Dear Mr. Koerner

Re:
Thank you for your inquiry. We regret that at this time we do not have any information on th PVGS400. We would ask that you please keep checking our website for updates at: www.panasonic.com

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support

There was a postscript about breaking my legs for asking too many questions, but i think it got a little graphic for the general public.