View Full Version : Lumiere HD

Steven Galvano
May 24th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Can someone explain the major differiences between LumiereHD and the conventional way we have been capturing/demuxing/converting for months now?

Seems liek its streamlined - but I cant quite get a handle on the workflow.

Thanks!!

Steven GAlvano

Heath McKnight
May 24th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Steven,

Have you gone to Lumiere's site? (http://lumierehd.com/) There's a really cool series of QuickTime movies (http://lumierehd.com/workflow.php) that explain it as it happens. If you ask me, as a user of shareware software, it's MUCH MUCH MUCH faster and there is at least one less step than what I've been doing.

As far as recommendations go, Apple (http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/) recommends Lumiere HD and Heuris (which costs $499 to $5000 and no one talks to you) only.

And at the HDV Roadshows, pretty much everyone said Lumiere HD was great.

(And no, Frederic isn't paying me. ;-))

Hope this helps,

heath

Frederic Lumiere
May 31st, 2004, 03:54 PM
Heath,

New QuickTime Training movies will be added shortly, including a DVCPRO HD specific workflow.

Heath McKnight
May 31st, 2004, 04:16 PM
Excellent!

hwm

Frederic Lumiere
June 4th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Heath,

We just released the software and updated the QuickTime movies.

Thanks for your patience!

Frederic Lumiere
June 4th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Heath,

We just released the software and updated the QuickTime movies.

Thanks for your patience!

Heath McKnight
June 4th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Cool!

heath

Christopher C. Murphy
June 5th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Anyone else having problems with the Install? I can't get past the 2nd screen!!

Murph

Bryan Suthard
June 5th, 2004, 08:17 PM
My install of 1.1 from early today went fine. Already editing in FCP now. OSX v. 10.3.3.

Christopher C. Murphy
June 5th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Can you say SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED.

Yes, speed. The encoder is so fast my G5 dual machine is actually MAKING NOISE!!! (it's suppose to be quiet) I'm totally serious...it's so fast! We've been waiting for this for over a year.

Kudos to all involved with LumiereHD. We can now take a breath....our solution has officially arrived. The HD10u on a Mac is 100% possible with LumiereHD. If you own a Mac and want to edit HDV - get this application NOW! There are no other solutions available that come close. (they actually suck compared to this software)

LumiereHD ROCKS!!!!!!!!

I'm now going to enjoy my HD10 edting experience!

Murph

Heath McKnight
June 5th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Murph,

Have you thought about writing copy for ads? :-)

heath

Christopher C. Murphy
June 6th, 2004, 06:36 AM
LOL! That's kinda funny you said that because my office used to be directly across from the audio booth at WMUR-TV! For almost 4 years I heard every single voice-over produced for the station...commercials, promos...you name it. (I've also done my own fare share of commerical v.o's too)

I guess that my brain switches to promo mode when I get excited about telling people something. After reading your post I went back and read what I wrote and you're right!

FYI to everyone - I am not promoting LumiereHD or any other product because I'm getting paid or anything. I was a beta tester and have watched the product grow and have waited for the official release. If you read my posts often I'm always shouting about the HD10, G5's or whatever...I just like when products work the way they're suppose to.

LumiereHD does what it claims to do and I paid for another product that didn't, so support please LumiereHD and other DVi sponsors!

Murph

Steven Galvano
June 6th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Sounds great!

MY HD10 project will probably be about 60 mins (have 80 hour of raws) so the 10bit uncompressed HD step will translate into a 320 gig file.

Any words of wisdom?

Steven

Christopher C. Murphy
June 6th, 2004, 08:52 AM
We could do a P2P setup and share your file.

It's definately possible. I have setup computer to computer FTP sites (secured with password) and downloads 100's of gigs worth of video from my buddy in California. I'm over in New Hampshire, so we just let it go all day and night when we have to transfer stuff.

This is giving me a great idea. Who wants to start a "HD Stock Footage" sharing system? I'd love to have access to stock footage and I'd freely give away tons of stuff I capture.

Let me know and we can setup something! It would work simply by doing FTP sites on our computers that are password protected and only accessable by HDV'ers. I've got broadband (3 megs a second from Comcast download and 300k upload).

This would be really, reall cool! I'm going to make a new thread regarding this topic.

Murph

Louis Grimaldo
June 7th, 2004, 07:31 AM
i am having a problem with the 3rd part of the installation. i am unable to produce an XML file.
Does anyone know if you need the Apple 2-MPEG component? I am hoping that is my problem.

Frederic Lumiere
June 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Louis,

It sounds like you have an outdated QuickTime MPEG-2 Component.

Apple had an issue with the earlier version...it expired. Very strange.

You can download the latest version for QuickTime 6.5

Take a look at this post:

http://lumierehd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3

Make sure you reboot your system after reinstalling the new component.

Frederic Lumiere
July 30th, 2004, 11:59 AM
The most common issue with HDV Mac users is an outdated version of the MPEG-2 Playback Component for QuickTime.

You can test the component by opening a demultiplexed .m2v file in QuickTime. If you get an error, you most likely need to update the component.

If you own Final Cut Pro 4+ or DVD Studio Pro 2+ you can update the component for free on the Apple website:

[url]http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/mpeg2playback/update/[url/]

Bob England
July 31st, 2004, 09:50 AM
I purchased Lumiere HD a few days ago and installed it on my desktop PowerMac and activated it from there. I have since decided I would rather run the software on my PowerBook. How do I deactivate/uninstall it from my PowerMac so that I can install/activate it on my PowerBook? The documentation does not cover this at all.

Frederic Lumiere
July 31st, 2004, 10:49 AM
Bob,

I sent you an email.

Frederic

Frederic Lumiere
August 3rd, 2004, 05:28 AM
Louis,

Was your issue resolved?

Louis Grimaldo
August 3rd, 2004, 07:39 PM
Thanks for your inquiry Frederic. My issue was resolved as I had bought a version of Final Cut Pro 4 that could not be upgraded to 4.1. You cannot import XML files with FCP 4. I later bought a version of FCP 4.1 and also upgraded my Quicktime MPEG-2. The only problem that I have had is when I download long clips I have an audio drift problem but I am editing a narrative film so it really is not that much of a problem as I now break up my clips. The quicktime training videos you have on the site has been a huge help with any problems I run into. Lumiere is a great product. I am looking forward to the latest release of Lumiere.

Frederic Lumiere
August 11th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Louis, the latest release 1.1.3 will improve audio synching issues on long clips.

Frederic Lumiere
August 24th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Louis,

There is a bug with Apple's QT MPEG2 Component where it misrepresents 29.97 fps clips to FCP as 30 fps clips.

Therefore, even with the new version of Lumiere HD, which will be out within days now, you will loose 1 frame every 1003 frames. There are work arounds but they aren't pretty.

Apple is now aware of the issue and we should see an updated component hopefully soon.

Frederic

Christopher C. Murphy
September 1st, 2004, 06:01 PM
Frederic,

I'm totally bummed. I captured tons of footage, and followed everything exactly the way I should have...yet, I have audio/video sync problems after about 30-60 seconds of video!

I am using Sony Excellence tapes, and I converted to DVCPro HD codec. This stinks because I've been just started getting PAID for using the HD10u for shoots!!

The sync issue could kill me...it's performances, interviews and lots of lips moving! Argh!

Murph

Frederic Lumiere
September 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM
Murph,

Based on the MPEG-2 QT Component bug, you will loose 1 frame every 1003 frames.

Now, you could do a few things:

- You could drop the clips on a 30 fps sequence but you will have a duplicated frame every 1003 frames (or in that neighborhood). But this can help bring the whole thing back in sync.

- You can also razor cut the clips and resync every so often

- Finally, we have a beta currently in QA and you could use this but it will require re-demuxing.

Frederic

Christopher C. Murphy
September 2nd, 2004, 01:10 PM
Frederic, I'm totally game on the Beta!! I've got 4 hours of video to capture, and obviously don't want "sync Hell" when preparing for editing.

Can you email me the beta info? Thank you!

Murph