View Full Version : FCPHD problems on G4

Mike Avery
May 28th, 2004, 06:59 AM
I installed FCP 4.5 on my G5 and G4. It works great on the 5, but locks up and quits on my 4.

I capture video with no problem, but when I try to work with it (save, move, edit, etc), I get the spinning ball....then it quits.

It doesn't lock up or crash the whole system...just Final Cut.

Any ideas?

Mike Avery

Richard DuPree
May 28th, 2004, 08:13 AM
I'm having a similar problem. When capturing longish clips (30 min.) the spinning pinwheel of death won't stop when capture is terminated. I usually cannot force quit successfully (FCP just doesn't want to let go!!), so I must reboot. The captured file is entitled "untitled-av" and will not play as a standalone Quicktime file. I have given these problem captures up to 1 hour to complete their mysterious process but to no avail. Shorter captures seem to work okay.

Anybody out there have a clue? I need some help.

Jeff Donald
May 28th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Have either of you tried trashing the three FCP preference files?

Mike Avery
May 28th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Sorry Jeff,

First thing I did was trash those files. I also did repair permissions, though I'm not quite sure what that does.

Mike Avery

Richard DuPree
May 28th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Yes. Just did it. It works. Many thanks.

Jeff Donald
May 28th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Richard, I'm glad it worked and thanks for posting back.

Mike, yours is ounding more like an install issue. what OS (exact version) and QT are you using?

Mike Avery
May 28th, 2004, 10:00 AM
OS 10.3.2 and QT 6.5

FCP4.1 is still installed, it works fine.

Thanks Jeff,

Mike Avery

Jeff Donald
May 28th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Mike, unless you have a reason not to, I would install 10.3.4, repair permissions and see if that doesn't help. The combo updater is here. (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxcombined1034update.html)

Mike Avery
May 28th, 2004, 10:49 AM
No reason not to that I'm aware of.

I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Mike Avery