View Full Version : Audio question

Stewart McDonald
June 3rd, 2004, 09:04 AM
I'm planning on making a short movie, and wondered about the audio. If I am to enter it into a competition, is the audio from the standard GL2 mic gonna be a problem? Isn't there any post-production techniques I can use to get rid of the slight noise? Or am I going to have to sell a kidney to get a better mic?

Thanks

Tim Brown
June 3rd, 2004, 04:06 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of production sound.

There is a tremendous amount of work and know-how that goes into clear dialog and consistent background tracks, and to be honest with you I'm certain I'm not the person that can completely answer your question - I have only been in the video world for a short time, and there is so much to learn so I can only offer you advice based on my own experience.

It's all really a matter of what you find acceptable. There are people whose profession is recording audio with hard-drive recorders and mics costing many thousands of dollars. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that this is what you need. I'm saying that you should have a basic understanding of what production sound involves, so you can make an informed decision. Your the one making the decision, and the more knowledge you have, the greater your advantage when you compete for the Palme d'Or.

For starters check out the http://www.equipmentemporium.com/articles.htm. This is where I went first to learn the basics and of course "Now Hear This" for production audio on this forum.

Hope this helps, and most importantly have fun!!!

Robin Davies-Rollinson
June 3rd, 2004, 04:17 PM
Do yourself a favour and invest a few bucks in "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video" by Jay Rose.
Read it and you'll be the one posting the answers on this forum ;-)

Robin.