View Full Version : Shooting Sports

Alan McCormick
June 7th, 2004, 04:49 AM
I am looking for some tips prior to my next "adventure" with the XM2, it will be a new style of filming for me so would appreciate any tips from those who have been there before.

Scenario: -
I am a sole Cam "unfortunately.
There are various sports being played on a heat by heat basis leading up to the final. All at different venues and the sports are spread out over 7 seperate days and vary from Football (soccer to our US friends), Netball, Hockey, Archery, Athletics ..... As you can see a diverse selection, each with there own potential problems.

Now, I am not aiming to shoot start to finish in any shape or form but want say 10 second clips to capture the atmosphere of the events.

Tripod, handheld??? I guess a mixture of both but would appreciate a heads up from anyone.

Really looking forward to this and have some ideas that I would like to consolidate before starting, preparation being the key.

Many thanks in advance.

ps - I am very happy with my XM2 skills now, a lot more than I was last October. Manual exposure and focus are coming more natural now with "very little" spoilt shots but I can see these shoots as being a different kettle of fish.

Steve Olds
June 11th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Alan,
I like a good mono pod, not a $19.00 pod from the discount store. When using hand held I have used the mono pod to help steady my shots by using my body. Sometimes I can use my waist line (belt) to rest the pod on or a leg, or under my arm pit.
This may not work for you but I use it alot. Good luck!

Steve