View Full Version : Dirty tapes question

Tony Marino
June 7th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Hello could someone please answer this question about mini dv tapes. I'm going to purchase a brand new GL2. I will edit some of the tapes I make via firewire with my GL2 and my friend's VX2000. My concern is that my friend's camcorder has been used so much and has never been professionally cleaned. Is it possible to pickup dirt from his camcorder on my tapes then damage my camcorder by playing those tapes in it?

I thought about getting a cheap camcorder just to use for that purpose but if I can save the $350 it will help.

Also in an unrelated question does anyone know if warranty companies will cover head repairs or other repairs from wear and tear? I called the company and got a different answer every time. I read on this board that no warrany companies will cover wear and tear.

Thank you,
Tony

Ken Tanaka
June 8th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Hello Tony,
I think nobody's replied yet because none of us really know with certainty. My thoughts are that if your friend's VX2000 still records and plays properly it can't be in too bad of shape. I would not be overly concerned about contamination.

When you get your new GL2, however, you should consider running a cleaning tape before recording for the first time. It will help ensure that any manufacturing oils or debris are removed. Follow the cleaning tape's instructions -precisely-.

Manufacturers' warranties generally cover workmanship defects. You'll have to get a copy of a specific third-party warranty, such as Mack's, to ascertain what it covers. Don't rely on the word of a phone clerk.