View Full Version : GL2 - Full Manual Control

Miguel Lombana
June 8th, 2004, 06:52 AM
I hate to bring this one up again but I have to...

OK I've gotten good at shooting full manaul on the GL2, atleast indoors. Outside presents a new challenge, gettting to the ND Filter fast enough to not kill my ccd's!

Anyway, I just need a bit of reassurance, I just shot a Bat-Mitzvah for a promo reel of a DJ company that I know. I was in full manual running 1/60; f1.6 and gained up 12db.

Now this is where the heat of the question comes in, even with my light on at about 25w - 30w, I had to gain up that much. The footage looks good (no real grain) due mostly to the "Barry Preset" and it's shifting the sharpness down a couple of notches. But even in that scenario, I never got to half way on my exposure meter, so I was running fairly underexposed the whole time.

Based on experience from the true "guru's" am I running everything the way it really should run, or should I be doing something else like playing with the AE Shift. Is there anything that I should be doing or trying to get more of a proper exposure?

Just trying to perfect this skill and all the help here just can't be beat. One thing that I should mention which is why I'm questioning my ability, the guy that actually video'd the event was running a Sony 250 and I asked if my light (NRG Varalux Pro @ 25w) was getting in his way, he was running without a light during most of the shoot and he responded with "his camera wasn't even seeing the need to gain up"...

Now I know that cam is similar to the PD150 and Sony has better low-light than the GL2, but a 12db difference? You see where I'm coming from... this makes me wonder if I'm suffering from equipment envy or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance,
MIGUEL

Ming Dong
June 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM
<<<-- ...gettting to the ND Filter fast enough to not kill my ccd's!...-->>>

Other than pointing directly at the Sun (which the manual warns against) can our GL2 CCDs be damaged by bright light?

Also, I don't think our ND filter will "save" our CCDs anyway. Isn't ND Filtering done electronically, after the light has already been captured by the CCDs?