View Full Version : New G5s announced

Jeff Price
June 9th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Apple unveiled their new line of G5s today. Max power is now dual 2.5 GHz with liquid cooling. Other than the equivalently faster front-side bus there seem to be no other major changes. Of course the dual 2 just dropped in price.

On the rumor side of things comes a report to not look for 3 GHz processors or G5 laptops anytime soon.

Ken Tanaka
June 9th, 2004, 10:39 AM
The 3GHz "no time soon" is not a rumor; it's a quote (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/06/09/apple/index.php?redirect=1086773843000). It looks like Steve just got a bit ahead of himself (and his company) again. <shrug>

Mark Sloan
June 9th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Well, maybe that and EVERYONE is having problems with the move to 90nm processors. Intel, AMD, Motorola, and IBM are all having issues. At the smaller size they're having current leakage issues and that makes all sorts of problems...

Jeff Donald
June 9th, 2004, 04:17 PM
It should be noted that the 2.5 GHz G5 processor is built on 90 nm technology. The real issue is more on IBM's end in manufacturing the chips. In a conference call back in April, IBM revealed they were having "issues" with manufacturing the new chips. IBM felt confident they would get things improved this fall. So, perhaps new G5's by the holidays or at MacWorld.

Ken Tanaka
June 9th, 2004, 07:06 PM
It should also be noted that the price of the dual 2GHz Macs has significantly dropped with the new model introduction.

Jeff Donald
June 9th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Some minor improvements, along with the price drop, too.

Ray Echevers
June 10th, 2004, 12:18 PM
The 1.8 dual also dropped $500 in price.
Dual 1.8 - $1999
Dual 2.0 - $2499
Dual 2.5 - $2999

I should've waited.....

Jim Shields
June 11th, 2004, 01:42 PM
...I understand the new 1.8 doesn't have PCI-X, while yours (the older model) does. So you have more options for expansion.

Harrison Murchison
June 11th, 2004, 02:09 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Shields : ...I understand the new 1.8 doesn't have PCI-X, while yours (the older model) does. So you have more options for expansion. -->>>

Yes the new dual 1.8 is great for those who have no plans to add in high bandwidth cards.

If I had purchased a 1.8 previously I wouldn't be remorseful especially in a environement where I need that extra bandwidth that PCI-X provides.

Ray Echevers
June 11th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I just noticed all the differnces the "new" dual 1.8 has.

80GB HD instead of 160GB
256MB Memory instead of 512MB
Up to 4GB of Memory instead of 8GB
PCI slots instead of PCI-X slots

Now I don't feel bad at all!

I'm not sure if my SuperDrive is 4x, but I heard the new ones are 8x.

Jeff Donald
June 11th, 2004, 02:31 PM
All three new G5's have 8x SuperDrives. I believe yours is 4x. slight improvement, but I would still rather have your "older" model. Faster DVD burners are on the horizon.

Deniz Turkmen
June 11th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Will there be a huge speed difference between the 2.0 and the 2.5?

Since I'm editing wedding videos and feature films with final cut hd and authoring on dvd studio 3, I was thinking about getting the 2.5.

The liquid cooling system in the 2.5 sounds cool, but since it's the first time apple has integrated it into one of thier systems, I'm afraid there could be problems with it. From what I hear, apple let's it's customers be thier beta testers.

Harrison Murchison
June 11th, 2004, 03:28 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Deniz Turkmen : Will there be a huge speed difference between the 2.0 and the 2.5?

Since I'm editing wedding videos and feature films with final cut hd and authoring on dvd studio 3, I was thinking about getting the 2.5.

The liquid cooling system in the 2.5 sounds cool, but since it's the first time apple has integrated it into one of thier systems, I'm afraid there could be problems with it. From what I hear, apple let's it's customers be thier beta testers. -->>>

I think so. The design of the processors is the same so a %25 increase in clock is going to translate into a real world 5-10% increase in productivity.

I don't think Apple will have any problem with the cooling system. It's not like some extreme methods where there are external tanks.

The 2.5 duallie would have you set for some time.

Boyd Ostroff
June 11th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I think it goes without saying that you pay a big premium to get the latest and greatest new Mac, and of course there is no track record yet for a new product. Generally speaking, you get a lot more bang for the buck on the slightly slower machines. But if you absolutely need the speed increase, can afford it, and are willing to take a chance then go for it. Just don't get upset when they release a new model 6 months later that is faster, cheaper, and has all the bugs fixed.

Or at least this is the pattern I've observed - and participated in - during the past 20 years that I've owned Macs...

Harrison Murchison
June 11th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Normally that's the case. The initial launch of the G5 Powermacs had only a 200Mhz per processor delta between the midrange system and the top end.

Now we have a 500mhz delta. I'm afraid that's just too much to give up for $500. I really don't expect the new dual 2Ghz to sell that much.

Dean Sensui
June 13th, 2004, 01:45 AM
As was mentioned at barefeats.com, the price of a faster Mac is about 20 percent higher for a 20 percent increase in speed.

The initial cost is a one-time charge.

But the savings in speed and time is perpetual.

If you're using your Mac to make a living and time is money, this is money repeatedly saved.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions.

Bernard Ong
June 17th, 2004, 11:43 AM
guys...

may i ask whats the diff between PCI-X and the normal PCI slots?

and also.... is it true that the new batch of G5s are meant to be more stable than the old ones?

thks

Jeff Donald
June 17th, 2004, 12:37 PM
See point 6 on this page (http://www.apple.com/powermac/architecture.html) at Apple's website. I've not had any stability issues with the several first generation G5's I have contact with. I don't own one, but the school I teach at has several. they all perform flawlessly.

Deniz Turkmen
June 17th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know when in July the 2.5 is supposed to be released? I don't want to order it until there's a more solid date than sometime in July.

Dean Sensui
June 17th, 2004, 04:29 PM
"Does anyone know when in July the 2.5 is supposed to be released?"

My order status says "on or before July 30".

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Jeff Donald
June 17th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Apple will start shipping, when they start shipping. In other words they will not pre-announce a ship date. They just start shipping.

Bernard Ong
June 17th, 2004, 08:17 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : See point 6 on this page (http://www.apple.com/powermac/architecture.html) at Apple's website. I've not had any stability issues with the several first generation G5's I have contact with. I don't own one, but the school I teach at has several. they all perform flawlessly. -->>>

thks...
are the number of slots same as the old models of G5?

Jeff Donald
June 17th, 2004, 08:56 PM
The "New" 1.8GHz has 3 PCI slots, the other "New" models have PCI-X slots. If you go with the stock video card you will have three slots of the respective type, as noted above. However, If you opt for the Radeon 9800 XT, you'll lose a slot. The card is so wide to accommodate the needed heat sinks etc., it overlaps onto an additional slot.

Bernard Ong
June 17th, 2004, 09:40 PM
thanks!!