View Full Version : need help, quick!

Chris Shepard
June 27th, 2004, 05:18 PM
OK this is my problem. I have a GL-1 that I use as my primary camera but my business partner has the camera with him on a trip. I need to get some footage layed to tape off FCP but the only miniDV cam I have right now is a P.O.S. Canon ZR40. I figured I should have no problem recording to this but when I was ready to print to tape I realized the only way to have this camera record from DV in was to use the remote. I lost the remote months ago!!!!!! I've tried using a universal remote but can't get it to work anyone have any suggestions on what to do short of buyiung a new camera?

Rob Wilson
June 27th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Chris,

I'm not a FCP expert but... You shoudn't need the remote to record to the cam. I'd check and be sure that FCP recognizes that that cam is there. The 1394 procall should allow FCP to control the cam. Might want to check Canons web site and download the latest drivers for it...

Jeff Donald
June 27th, 2004, 05:48 PM
No drivers are necessary in Mac OS X. The remote is needed to put the camera into record pause so the files can be recorded to tape.

Canon's remotes are semi-universal. If you have a friend, relative or neighbor with a Canon remote you may be able to get the camera into record mode.

K. Forman
June 27th, 2004, 05:49 PM
If all else fails, you could buy a cheapie Mini DV for a couple hundred or so. Then you would have a deck.

Kevin King
June 27th, 2004, 10:24 PM
I use a ZR45 as my capture deck. Just plug in the firewire, put the cam in VCR mode. Check your device control options in your NLE - make sure device control is turned on and use your normal "print to tape" feature. Your NLE should kick off the camera to record and end the recording when your timeline is complete.