View Full Version : GL1 First Timer.. plz help

Shawn Rogers
June 28th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Hey, I just recently bought a GL1 off Ebay and need to know just about everything about the camera you guys can tell me.

1 The camera should be arriving soon in the mail, is there anything I should do before starting it up and shooting?

2 Although I’m pretty sure I know most of the basic features, let me know of the more advanced ones and when I’m going to want to use them.

3 I know there are multiple modes in which I can shoot with this camera. What should each be used for, and what are its advantages?

4 Are there any accessories I should think about getting? I’ve heard it’s always a good idea to keep a UV filter on at all times. Also I’m looking for good audio quality, if you don’t think the GL1 mic is good enough, what kind of external mic should I think about getting?

5. There is also a large selection of different filters to put on. What is each one for?

6. Any suggestions on the type of tapes I should use? (Brand names)

7. I have a very nice PC, and an old Imac. What software should I use to edit my video. I don’t need anything to great, just something that can hold my clips and get them off my tape so I can shoot more, till I can take them to my friends house on a disk, (he has Final Cut Pro). Also what kind of wires should I use to transfer the video from the camera to both my PC and Mac?

Any other type of info you can give a beginning GL1 user would be great.

- Thanks

Alex T. Hurter
June 28th, 2004, 05:27 PM
You might want to do some searches on various topics that have been posted. You should look at the websites of the manufacturers of the products, they will offer lots of information as well.

Shawn Rogers
June 29th, 2004, 12:30 AM
yes, the Canon site tells me some, but not as much as a person with the camera and some experience could. Still looking for some answers to my questions, thanks.

Ken Tanaka
June 29th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Shawn,
You've presented a large bouquet of questions in a single post. The problem is that your questions span several areas of DVInfo, although all are answered many times.

As the GL1 has been out of production for nearly two years it will be harder to come across folks who are still using the camera. (I owned one but sold it quite some time ago.)

Many of the answers regarding the basic usage of the camera will be answered when you actually get it in your hands, experiment with it and read the manual.

Selection of editing tools is best done based on your preferred computer platform and what you can spend. There are excellent nle's on both platforms. Browse the Mac and PC sections to get some guidance on this topic.

Filters and other accessories are also best selected to solve specific problems or to meet specific needs.

Get the camera in your hands, read the manual, shoot a bit and browse around in the forums for a while.

Shawn Rogers
June 30th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Yes, there are a large amount of questions. Can no one answer any of them? It seems that people are only willing to tell me where I can find the information rather than give it to me. This forum being one of the foremost on information for the GL1, I figured someone would be able to save me some time and at least answer some of the questions I posted. Can no one answer any of them?

Robert Mann Z.
June 30th, 2004, 09:25 PM
1 The camera should be arriving soon in the mail, is there anything I should do before starting it up and shooting?

charge the batteries

2 Although I’m pretty sure I know most of the basic features, let me know of the more advanced ones and when I’m going to want to use them.

it doesn't have any

3 I know there are multiple modes in which I can shoot with this camera. What should each be used for, and what are its advantages?

the auto modes basically do the aperture and shutter control for you...each setting represents the ideal for that purpose

4 Are there any accessories I should think about getting? I’ve heard it’s always a good idea to keep a UV filter on at all times. Also I’m looking for good audio quality, if you don’t think the GL1 mic is good enough, what kind of external mic should I think about getting?

uv is good to have, the problem with external mics and the gl1 is no on board vu, xlr or mic placement attachemnts

5. There is also a large selection of different filters to put on. What is each one for?

there are hundreds, each has it's purpose, the question should be what are you going to use the camera for?

6. Any suggestions on the type of tapes I should use? (Brand names)

i use fuji

7. I have a very nice PC, and an old Imac. What software should I use to edit my video. I don’t need anything to great, just something that can hold my clips and get them off my tape so I can shoot more, till I can take them to my friends house on a disk, (he has Final Cut Pro). Also what kind of wires should I use to transfer the video from the camera to both my PC and Mac?

try this question in the nle forum

Any other type of info you can give a beginning GL1 user would be great.

learn to hold the camera steady

Jeff Toogood
July 1st, 2004, 06:18 AM
I'd also suggest running a head cleaner through it before you use it.

Rob Lohman
July 1st, 2004, 06:53 AM
The reason not a lot of people are directly responding to your
questions is: because a lot have been answered a lot of times
already. There have been tons of people before you with the
exact same questions.

Do not expect a forum to give you all the answers you seek
overnight. Some investigation, reading and searching is YOUR
job as well!

There is no quick fix. There is no shortcut to reading the manual,
reading forums thoroughly, testing and playing with your camera
and just shoot.

The manual CLEARLY explains what each shooting mode does
and does not do. You can easily record a tape with tests with
various settings and see what does what. This way you will
learn and remember 10x better than if someone lists it all out
for you.

More advanced things like filters should not be on your mind
right now. Take it slowly and one step at a time. Learn the
basics first and get comfortable with your camera, capturing
and editing and then start "worrying" about those things.

Windows comes with a product called Movie Maker that allows
you to easily capture stuff of your camera etc. However, this
will most likely not be compatible with a Mac and FCP.

If that is what you need you will have to get a DV Converter
software to convert DV AVI to DV QuickTime. There are plenty
about.

As for NLE's this question has been asked a zillion times before
and the answer is basically: we can not tell you.

An edit application is highly personal. What works great for you
might not be good for you. It basically depends on:

1) budget
2) platform you are on
3) features you need
4) features that would be nice to have
5) type of camera
6) type of shooting you do
7) do you need to exchange the footage or projects to others

The best tip I can give you is browse around the NLE forums
and see what is out there (most use FCP on the Mac and
Vegas or Premiere on PC) and get trial versions of the packages
AND TRY THEM OUT YOURSELF! There is no substitute for that.

In my opinion everyone has given you very good pointers and
information. Now it is your turn to start reading and taking your
time to learn and try stuff (including the camera!).

Good luck.

Joe Cirino
July 6th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Get the camera. Drop in a tape. Shoot auto and practice. When you grow out of that, start with manual. Then ask questions. Really, its all about experimenting and developing your questions from that point.

Good Luck. It does not happen over night.

Joe

Graham Bernard
July 6th, 2004, 11:53 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Cirino : It does not happen over night.

Joe -->>>

Joe! Got that RIGHT!

Grazie

Joe Cirino
July 7th, 2004, 12:34 AM
"Joe! Got that RIGHT!"

LOL, and I might add, especially without a camera yet. LOL