View Full Version : GL2 and iPhoto

Steve Garfield
July 23rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
Will the GL2 work with iPhoto out of the box, or do I have to install the Canon DIGITAL VIDEO SOLUTION DISK?

Jeff Donald
July 23rd, 2002, 05:02 PM
This question is being asked all over the web (iPhoto support of camcorders) and the answers presently is a qualified no. It appears not to recognize any FireWire cameras, still or video, at this time. I'm sure future upgrade will address this. In most case the storage card (smart media, compact flash, memory stick, secure media, etc.) can be read by an external reader. Apple's site has a list of compatible cameras and card readers http://www.apple.com/iphoto/compatibility/

Jeff

Steve Garfield
July 23rd, 2002, 06:20 PM
Thanks.

That was a great reply with a nice link over to Apple.

The GL2 has a USB interface too, in addition to Firewire.

You'd think that it would be supported by iPhoto like all their digital still cameras.

Joshua Wachs
July 23rd, 2002, 07:01 PM
You can get a cheapo card reader for your mac w/ either usb or fwire interface that'll work great w/ iPhoto. I got one for my camera and leave it plugged in cause I was sick of plugging cables in and out of my camera to dload.

Food for thought.

-- Schwa

Steve Garfield
July 24th, 2002, 06:26 AM
The Canon GL2 has a USB cable which allows you to directly connect the camera to the Mac.

Canon includes some software that allows you to view the images you have on the camera before downloading, and the ability to print out in a number of ways.

For anyone who's interested, here's how you can connect a GL2 to a Mac running OS X without using the Canon software:

How to Get Still Images from your Canon GL2 onto a Macintosh with OS X
1. Connect power adapter to camcorder
2. Connect camcorder to mac with usb cable
3. Slide power switch to play
4. Slide tape/card to card

Canon_dv is mounted on the desktop with three folders:
DCIM
MISC
TITLE

Mac OS X sees the camera and puts up a dialog:
---
Download to: Pictueres, Movies, Music
Automatic Task: None, build web page, format

Hot plug action: Image Capture application

Items to download

Steve Garfield
July 24th, 2002, 06:31 AM
cont.

Items to download: 1

Download some/Download all
---

Click download all and your pictures go into your pictures folder.

---

To finish
1. Drag Cannon_DV icon to trash
2. Turn off camcorder
3. Detach USB Cable

Joshua Wachs
July 24th, 2002, 08:06 AM
That's actually good news. Run iPhoto and it should ask you if you want to dload to it by default.

Then that other app won't load.

Steve Garfield
July 24th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Cool.

I told iPhoto to open up when a camera is attached and it opened when I attached my GL2 in CARD mode.

Imported the pics.

No problem.

Thanks,
--Steve

Michael Westphal
July 25th, 2002, 06:26 PM
BTW, on my Pismo Powerbook, the GL2 appears as a disk icon when connected. You get the same folders as in OSX. No software required.

As an additional FUN note. I've been able to copy 640x480 JPEG images TO the camera for copying to tape -- My company logo and copyright info for one. Kewl stuff. (You have to name the file correctly for it to be recognised, "AUT_0001.JPG" for instance.

Michael

Joshua Wachs
July 25th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Great tip Michael.

Also with OS X and iPhoto, since iPhoto's import is rather limited - all or nothing - opening that disk and dragging the images you want into the iPhoto window is a much nicer way to import.

-- Schwa