View Full Version : Just ordered a GL2 - need project suggestions

dstinson
July 25th, 2002, 09:25 AM
I'm a beginner.

Currently, I have a sony PC-100 and Vegas Video. I just ordered a GL2 for some reason ;).

I'm a wiz at the computer side - but I need some suggestions for video projects - like what do I do with my new equipment. E.g. film my kids bday - but I did that and the end result seems boring.

Are there any web sites that anyone can suggest? Books or maybe you have feedback.

Thanks!

EK.

Barry Goyette
July 25th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Back in my photo school days, one of my favorite assignments was to pick a photograph that you really liked (something published, an ad, or an editorial shot from a magazine) and try to copy it. It was a great assignment in that it taught you to think about everything that went into the shot from the lighting, camera, on down to the physical subject of the photograph. Inevitably you fail at outright duplication, but many times what you come up with is more interesting than the original.

I think this might be a great way to start a small video project...find something on tv that you like, and try to make something like it...you'll learn a lot in the process--and it helps eliminate the "what do I shoot now" block.

Don't feel bad about the copying "thing". It's a time honored technique used by artists of all types (walk throught the louvre in paris on certain days and you will see students with their easels positioned in front of great master paintings trying to duplicate and learn the techniques of their heroes.)

One more thing. Make sure its something that you can reasonably pull off (don't do "crocodile hunter" if you don't like lizards). In my case, I have a lot of friends who are musicians, so I've been playing around with music videos, and its a lot of fun.

good luck.

Barry

dstinson
July 25th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Thanks Barry, that's a great idea.

Can't wait to get the new GL2 in.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Barry Goyette
July 25th, 2002, 10:21 AM
I got my gl2 a few days ago, and I think you'll like it. I've posted a few observations and tips under the "gl2 resolution" thread. Take a look.

Barry

Michael Wisniewski
July 25th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Hi,

I know what you mean, just started this whole thing myself and had a devil of a time bridging the creative and technical gap.

Here's some books I've found useful for doing that:

1. The Little Digital Video Book
-----------------------------------
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201758482/qid=1027620046/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-9525869-2383364

2. The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0941188701/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/102-9525869-2383364

3. Myth and the Movies: Discovering the Mythic Structure of 50 Unforgettable Films
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0941188663/qid=1027619785/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-9525869-2383364

Well I'm not a great videomaker by any means, but I feel more confident about my chances after reading these three books.

dstinson
July 25th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Awesome! Those look like some great books. I'll check it out.

Thanks again.

EK