View Full Version : About the ND filter

Marco Iannaccone
July 9th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Does it actually make image quality decrease noticeably?

Should I avoid it when possible?

K. Forman
July 9th, 2004, 04:47 PM
I haven't noticed any decrease in image quality, and it helps to cut the light... without having to screw anything on.

On the downside, you don't have multiple choices of gradients. In situations like that, it doesn't hurt to have several grades in screw on filters. And they help protect the lens.

Marco Iannaccone
July 9th, 2004, 04:56 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : I haven't noticed any decrease in image quality, and it helps to cut the light... without having to screw anything on. -->>>

I haven't noticed, too, but... wanted to ask to someone who had the camera for a longer period.
So... it seems I can normally use it without woring at all, right?

<<<-- On the downside, you don't have multiple choices of gradients. In situations like that, it doesn't hurt to have several grades in screw on filters. And they help protect the lens. -->>>

Yes, sure, but it's useful anyway, and.. well... my question was just aout image quality loss with it :-P

Thanx! :-)

Ken Tanaka
July 9th, 2004, 11:16 PM
No, the internal ND filter is not an electronic effect. That is, it's mechanical and imposes no "degradation" on the image. Of course, it does alter exposure properties.

Marco Iannaccone
July 10th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Well, yes.

Anyway...does anyone know the exact light reduction factor of the internal ND filter, and, so... the difference in stops?

Thanx

Joris Beverloo
July 12th, 2004, 01:35 PM
I just tried the ND filter. right now it is dark outside so I used a lamp to test it. I aimed the GL2 at a lamp when I had the setting to auto, after that I swicthed to manual and then it takes over the settings from auto mode. Being: 1/150 and f8.0
Now put on the ND, put the camera on auto, let it adjust and switch manual again. Now the settings are: 1/50 and f4.8
Now I am no expert on stops or math, but this should be the difference of the ND filter if I am correct in my test setup.

Graham Bernard
July 12th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Some ND and F stop equivs .. any good?

http://www.tpub.com/content/photography/14209/css/14209_71.htm

http://www.cybercollege.com/tvp013.htm

Grazie