View Full Version : New VL-3

Vishal Gurung
July 16th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Ok so i ordered a new VL-3 canon light for my camera from B&H and will be filming a wedding reception in fairly low light. Would anyone here have any experience using this light @ wedding receptions? would it be enough perhaps? thanks in advance :)

Rob Wilson
July 16th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Vishal,

It will work well for the typical low light reception IF you're within about 3-4 ft of your subject. Used it that way myself with good results. I've found that it's a little easier on the subjects eyes and less obnoxious to others in the vicinity than most other lights. Especially nice that it's on the cam and powered by the cam batt.

Vishal Gurung
July 16th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Phew rob, thanx much. i kinda figured that and i convinced my partner it was enough but i just wanted to confirm it. I do like that it's a less obnoxious on ppl's eyes and esp if it's a dance floor, no one wants a strong light in their face. Appreciate your prompt response. cheers!

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2004, 01:40 AM
It is ONLY for very very close work . .You will not be able to light from one side of the table to the other! It is only 3 watt. You wont be able to film the couple dancing their first dance use the Vl3 unless you embarrassingly follow them from 3' away!

Worst purchase I made and left feeling out on a limb? The Canon Vl3 . . If you are only interested in very close work .. not wanting full figure shots . .the Vl3 will do it .. oh yes, as you know it takes its power from the on board battery too! Positive features? Its got the auto switch off and level needed auto .. . I found I left it on all the time while in low light .. oh yes before I forget . . you will also get that "pooling" of light effect that will show viewers that they are being lit with a tiny light . . .

IMHO The Canon VL3 is a piece of kit that puts the "con-sumer" into the XM2 being classified as a "pro-sumer" camera . .

Will I use it in the future . .yeah . .I guess I will .. when my 20watt PAGlight C6 falters!

.. oh yeah it takes up space in my bag too! .. not a lot . .but then it is only 3 watt .. Can you replace the bulb? Good question Grazie . . . .

Maybe I'm being to hard on it? . . .errrr . . . . no! Best thing about it? It is better than nothing and as you also point out it is less obnoxious on people's eyes. Well, who is paying for this gig? What is better people - not a lot will - squinting as a result of a 20 watt OR images that your client can't see? . .- BUT seriously please understand its limitations and don't over estimate its power.. . . I did and I suffered for it . . .

Last resort if you film and the levels ARE too low, speak with the Bride and the organisers to have the house lights switched back on .. last resort here . . but if it makes for a video you do it!

. .please remember, I'm only passing on my experience . . I don't want you to fail .. .

Grazie

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Having re-read your original post "will be filming a wedding reception in fairly low light" - get some lighting! . . The XM2 is not as good as a Sony in these conditions. Getting a PAG will make your cammie JUMP up! Are you doing this gig for money? Will the client be happy with gloomy pics? Are you going to be able to shot the whole thing within 3 or 4 feet? Do you have enough battery power to do the event using the VL3 all the time on?

Vishal, are you thinking of making money from your XM2? You are getting a portfolio of work together . . the CV starts NOW!

Look please take these comments in a way that I'm NOT wanting you to fail .. your comment about "convincing" yourself is very dangerous . . I've done this and have failed .. . lighting IS everything in these wedding circumstances .. .

Yer wanna link to the PAG? I'll give it . . or you can do a search hereabouts

Best regards,

Grazie

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2004, 02:06 AM
What's new about it? . . .

Grazie

Alan McCormick
July 17th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Just received the PAG C6 this week Grazie and can't wait to get out and use it. Chinatown, London next Sunday is the first wedding for its use.

The only thing I do not like is the hotshoe fitting, it "cheapens" the product IMHO, the other thing is I have the dm-50 shotgun mic (hotshoe fitting) only so will have to sell that and get an XLR and MA200? Wish I had waited and got the MKE300D or senni66 etc. Ah well I will see how the Cam mic works now if I cannot use the wireless mic.

Money, money, money but you only realise you need this stuff when you get better and better and know you need to improve your game <g>

Chris Hurd
July 17th, 2004, 02:58 AM
<< What's new about it? . . . >>

It's new to him.

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Alan - the hotshoe tiny slivery thingie is not good - it's not good for me. . . I've told the owner of PAG . . he says they're developing an alternative .. developing and alternative? I could have made one within 30 minutes!?! . .. . The PAG is brilliant . . literally! Good price and effective for my purposes .. Anything else would need me making standalone tripod lighting rigs . .. .

Chris . . well hulloo sailor . .. nah, I thought Iwas missing something when he said NEW . . new as in this VL3 is actually better than the one I've got ..

Grazie

Alan McCormick
July 17th, 2004, 09:42 AM
totally agree about the silver thingy, I will add my view to Alan Lavender too if I can find his email

Vishal Gurung
July 17th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Whoa! i got to sleep for a few hrs and all these replies! i feel so honored! hehe. .Thanks Graham for your candid answers, believe you me i'm taking your experience seriously- altho i did have to reread your 'it's PANTS' comment to effectively translate it to Canadian'ese hehe ;) . I'm assuming that means its POS? :)

- Yes i am doing this gig for money
- i've just does a search for the PAG and hot diggidy dang is it EVER expensive. I don't think i can afford one of those :|
- Would anyone be able to suggest an alternative then? The wedding is barely a scant 2 weeks away. An alternative, *read cheaper* solution would be MUCH MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Hire lights?

How much you spending on the VL3? Do a search here for what alternative "budget-wise" systems .. .

Grazie

Vishal Gurung
July 17th, 2004, 11:51 AM
hmm bought the VL3 from B&H so like $41+ shipping... yeh the budget's already pretty tight as it is unfortunately... i was thinking of renting lights but so far haven't been able to find any onboard cam lights for rent or the lights that ARE for rent are those stand up ones which is pretty useless unless you want to light up the WHOLE place :) so yeh... i'm a little loss for ideas here

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2004, 11:55 AM
What price you got on the PAG?

Vishal Gurung
July 17th, 2004, 11:59 AM
from what i see on B&H it's $350 USD.. which equals to about a quadrillion CDN. Actually approx $450CDN... which is about almost $400 too much lol. Oh geez... this is going to require some creative thought. Mebbe rent a stand up light and reflect the light off a light disc? lol yes i know.. that's a dumb idea :|

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Look, do some tests with your VL3. See if you like the effectiveness of it . . . what's the job worth? Is it near to the cost of the gig? Well it is a gig that is gonna give you an investment for future work.

As soon as I got my PAG I was home and dry . . PAG just works. It is professional kit for the miniDV guy . . that's me . . And it charges and doesn't deplete OR rely on your cammie power source. My advise - IMHO? Get the PAG . .but do your experiments with the 3 watts first . .if you're happy with it . . . . .

How much you being paid for the Wedding GiG . .don't tell me . . but it is your call . .your monaey and your further reputation you need to think about . . .PAG C6 is for me . .

Grazie

Vishal Gurung
July 17th, 2004, 12:14 PM
hmmm thanks for your great advice Graham. Definitely taken into consideration. Yeh i reckon i'll have to fool around with the VL3. The Pag does seem like a viable option for future weddings. I'm not getting paid much to be honest, after equipment rentals and labour costs i'd be lucky to make a couple hundred quid (to be a little brit) hehe. The Pag unit does look really good, but in terms of wedding reception, wouldn't it be a tad TOO bright for ppl wanting a dark time on the dance floor?

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2004, 12:21 PM
"TOO bright for ppl wanting a dark time on the dance floor?" . .yeah . .but then you don't film them! Simple as that! BUT the people who ARE paying for your work want to be seen . . another thing you are being paid, this does give you a lot of licence in getting what your clients want yes?

. . PS . I've "modified" my comment regarding the connection to the hotshoe - might I suggest you do the same in your quote . . thank you.

Grazie

Vishal Gurung
July 17th, 2004, 12:25 PM
true enough.. uh i didn't realize i was making comments to a hot shoe? but anyways thanks for your advice once again. I've certainly got some decisions to make! :)

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Sorry Vishal - NO not the hot shoe . .you need a shoe connection that will slide into the Hotshoe - a plastic extension then under the PAG light is a silvery sliver connector that tightens INTO this plastic extention .. this is what I was getting at . .

Grazie

Vishal Gurung
July 17th, 2004, 12:32 PM
ohhhhhhh ok... i think hehe.. man, am i ever coming off green here? geez. alright i gotta run, thanks again for all the advice and taking the time to respend everyone esp Graham. Cheers and have a good one!

Vishal

Joe Calalang
July 17th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I'm in the same situation. I have a wedding this coming weekend and I'm also concerned about low light at the reception. The couple wants me to get table shots of the guests. I know....that's boring but it's their money. Using the VL3 shouldn't be a problem there since they couple will pose with them. My concern is the first dance and father/daughter dance.

I'm thinking of getting someone to use a spot light on the couple - a la Fred Astair! Hehehe! At least I won't be blinding them and it'll look sorta professional like those tango competitions!

Graham Bernard
July 17th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Do a test. Turn the lights down low. Do some filming. Turn on the VL3. Now in addition turn on your room light ( 100 watt ). If you like it without the 100watt lamp . . then, there you go. If you don't like what you get, then you need more light . . It aint Rocket Science! Maybe you'll get more ambient light, than when you just turned off the 100 watt lamp .. . you may get lucky!

Regarding across tables shots, it will be dependent on the ambient light levels, how BIG the tables are [ how far the reach of the 3 watter just is ] , the reflectivity of the surfaces giving you more illumination .. anything else?

Again, tried and tested circumstances will only tell you how good or bad the end results will be . . .

"Using the VL3 shouldn't be a problem there since they couple will pose with them." and how close will you be to these setups?

The first dance has to be well done .. gloom aint good! I've had the lights turned down and that was it! My XM2 just went on strike! Yeah there was grain when I up the gain . . more than my boss would have liked. He uses Sony's that have excellent low light performance. Luckily I was a number 2 cameraman then and I followed the main man around getting slightly off tangent shots . . . hey you might get away with there being enough "lighting" on the dance floor, being the couple's first dance together . . . and you know just how important that is? Yeah?

I was taught to go Manual Focus. Focus on a point just beyond midway on the dance floor, so that any dancing couple stays in focus, and forcing the cammie not to focus hunt, looking for something to focus in on. Low light really demands a lot of careful manual focussing .. but once "mastered" it is very rewarding . . BETTER yet with more than 3 watts of lighting . . .

Please don't shoot the messenger here!

Grazie

Vishal Gurung
July 17th, 2004, 06:15 PM
hmm well along with the VL-3 i've ordered another portable smaller 3w light as well.. which doesn't need to be connected to the hot shoe.. that being said, if we need extra light we'll have to resort to using both lights on one subject.. kinda have to use what we have.. and mebbe hope for the best, but you're right i'll have to have it tested out first ..

Jeff Toogood
July 17th, 2004, 08:28 PM
I have used a Sony 10W/20W switchable light. It runs on the same batteries as the PD-170/VX2100 and last over an hour fully charged.

Works great, when you don't need the full 20W, you can switch it back to 10W.

Just a thought, I picked mine up on ebay for about $80 US.

Vishal Gurung
July 18th, 2004, 01:03 AM
hmm jeff, what was the producty #/name of that sony light?

Jeff Toogood
July 18th, 2004, 06:28 AM
The model number is HVL-20DW2