View Full Version : Yellow LCD on my XM2

Mogens Dahl Pallesen
July 21st, 2004, 02:31 AM
I have seen 2 times that my LCD display is yellow.
In replay mode I have a pure black screen with yellow text and symbols (when replay is stopped). The blue background has gone. In recording mode the color is very yellow and not so bright as it should be. There is nothing wrong with the result on the tape, but it is very annoying.

The first time was ½ year ago. After some days/or a week or so, when I turned the camera on, it was OK again. Now I have seen it again and this time it seems to be permanent. The camera is 1½ year old and has only been used about 10 hours.

I think it must be a hardware defect in the lcd or in the connection betwen the lcd and the camera - but I would appreciate to hear if anyone has experienced a similar flaw.

Hans Henrik Bang
July 21st, 2004, 03:11 AM
Hej Mogens

(I better keep in in english :)

It definately sounds like a hardware problem. You have a total failure of blue color. Since the background is usually blue, it will then turn black, and what used to be white will now be yellow.

If the problem exists in both the viewfinder and LCD, blue is lost somewhere internally in the camera, but usually it would be your LCD display only, probably indicating a bad connection to the display. Might be the ribbon cable connecting the LCD to the camera, since this is susceptible to mechanical wear during opening and closing of the LCD.

Unless you are very skilled in repairing such things, you might need a professional to look at it. Warranty in Denmark is 2 years, so you should still be covered.

Hans Henrik

Mogens Dahl Pallesen
July 22nd, 2004, 03:06 AM
Hej Hans Henrik,

Thank you for your ansver. I guess I have to contact Canon support to get them to repair.

It is only on the LCD I have the problem - not in the viewfinder. So I agree that it must be the LCD itself or the ribbon connection to the camera.

Hans Henrik Bang
July 23rd, 2004, 10:21 AM
Canon has a pan European warranty. I don't know where you bought yours, but I bought mine in Germany. I wrote to Canon and asked them about the warranty. They said that in case of repairs, I should send the camera to:

Canon IT-service
Hørskætten 26
2630 Tåstrup
Denmark

Mogens Dahl Pallesen
July 24th, 2004, 03:03 AM
OK - thanks for the contact to Canon. I did the same - bought it in Germany.

The fault is quite strange. My daughter used the camera a couple of days ago and it was OK again and still is. No matter how I twist the LCD - the thing is working OK now. It seems to be the same as the last time. After some time lying without beeing turned on the fault dissapers - strange!

Hans Henrik Bang
July 27th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Of course the worst kind of fault... You can be sure that if you send it in for repairs, it will work flawlessly during Canons testing.

A couple of days after the warranty runs out, the problem will surely resurface :(

Probably overly pessimistic, but I would certainly see if I could get it looked at, possibly check if you can reproduce the problem with a bit of careful physical manipulation of the camera.

Good luck with it anyway.