View Full Version : Viewfinder or LCD?

Alex Chan
July 21st, 2004, 08:09 PM
I am new to GL2, I just bought it.
Got a question about whether we should trust the viewfinder or LCD when we shoot? Casue sometime it might look bright enough on LCD but the actual video is darker.

So an experience to share on this topic? Thanks.

Ken Tanaka
July 21st, 2004, 09:53 PM
Hello Alex,
That's an excellent question, particularly for newcomers to shooting with the GL2 and similar cameras.

To some extent, the answer depends on the context of what you mean by the word "trust".

If you are questioning whether or not the vf or lcd images reflect the true color and exposure qualities of your image, the answer is no. Their resolutions and color accuracies are not up to that job.

The most reliable and productive ways to use these on-camera displays is to consider them as (a) convenient composition and focus aids, and (b) displays of annunciators such as the exposure meter, zoom meter, and zebra zones.

The only truly reliable indicator of your image's exposure and color is a calibrated production monitor. If you devote enough thoughtful practice time to the camera, however, you will be able to manage the camera with greater confidence in the end result. That is, your psychological reliance on the accuracy of camera's displays for exposure and color will diminish.

Have fun with your new GL2!

Alex Chan
July 21st, 2004, 11:17 PM
Thanks Ken, actually what I really mean about "trust" is not whether the image relfect the true subject or not, instead, I want to know after I transfer the image to computer or watch it on TV, is it going to be similar to what I seen from the LCD or VF during my shooting?

Ken Tanaka
July 21st, 2004, 11:22 PM
Yup, that's basically the question I answered.

Miquel de Pablo
July 22nd, 2004, 11:04 AM
Alex Chan wrote:

---
I want to know after I transfer the image to computer or watch it on TV, is it going to be similar to what I seen from the LCD or VF during my shooting?
---

To add to Kenīs great answer, you should remember that what you see on the computer and what you see on TV may also be very different. I get a much better picture from a production monitor than from the TVs Iīve used, too.

The LCD is also a pain when focusing.