View Full Version : 3rd camera shooting

Miguel Lombana
July 27th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Gang,

Got a wedding coming up where they have requested something that I can't currently do (well) with my equipment. I typically shoot a wedding with 2 GL2 units, this couple has asked for an additional angle which I can deliver, however my current backup cam is a single chip sony trv330.

Is there an in-expensive canon product that I can get which will be on par with the GL's? It would be nice if it was a cheap single chip however 3 chips that are at or below 1k US would be fine.

Suggestions?

Patrick King
July 28th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Miguel,

It'll be just above the 1K mark after the special price and rebate, but you'll want to read the specs on the Optura Xi http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=294238&is=REG] Optura @ B&H

Noticed in your equipment list that you have the JVC dual deck with DV and S-VHS. How do you like that piece of equipment? Can you bring DV from that deck to the computer for editing? Will it accept a Print-to-Tape command from a NLE and record back to DV?

K. Forman
July 28th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to find someone with a GL1 or GL2, to come in and help you cover your shots? I know I'm not the only one in Fla...

Frederic Segard
July 28th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Rent it. If you're being paid for the wedding, and they request a 3rd camera, charge the 3rd camera option as an extra to cover the rental fee... plus a little extra for the added trouble at editing.

Miguel Lombana
July 28th, 2004, 12:50 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Patrick King : Miguel,

Noticed in your equipment list that you have the JVC dual deck with DV and S-VHS. How do you like that piece of equipment? Can you bring DV from that deck to the computer for editing? Will it accept a Print-to-Tape command from a NLE and record back to DV? -->>>

The deck is super, you can run firewire out from the Mini-DV or the VHS, I can print to tape as if it was my Cam and I believe although I've never tried, you may be able to print to both the VHS and MINI at the same time however don't quote me on that ... since I use the Canopus card I get realtime all the time and the big advantage there is that I can playback in Premier Pro and output in 1 pass and not wait to render, really saves time and the JVC really helps with the extra wear and tear on my Canons...

Miguel Lombana
July 28th, 2004, 12:51 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to find someone with a GL1 or GL2, to come in and help you cover your shots? I know I'm not the only one in Fla... -->>>

I really hate to have to depend on anyone else to be there, it's such a burden sometimes and having to ask someone for the help when I know that they'd rather be at the beach or doing something else or making money shooting their own gigs is just a pain, however I can consider someone that I know who may be able to make it that date.

Thanks

K. Forman
July 28th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Miguel- What I was trying to say, is it is cheaper to hire a camera op for an afternoon, rather than to buy another cam you don't really need. It is also easier than trying to handle more than one cam by yourself.

I had just recieved my XL1s and GL1, and was asked to shoot my stepson's wedding. So I put the XL1s on a tripod, to get some background, and had the GL1 getting other shots. I turned around just in time, to see a small child grab my tripod in both hands, and start shaking the hell out of my brand new $4,000 camera! Don't try to handle 3 cams by yourself.

Miguel Lombana
July 28th, 2004, 02:11 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : Miguel- What I was trying to say, is it is cheaper to hire a camera op for an afternoon, rather than to buy another cam you don't really need. It is also easier than trying to handle more than one cam by yourself.

I had just recieved my XL1s and GL1, and was asked to shoot my stepson's wedding. So I put the XL1s on a tripod, to get some background, and had the GL1 getting other shots. I turned around just in time, to see a small child grab my tripod in both hands, and start shaking the hell out of my brand new $4,000 camera! Don't try to handle 3 cams by yourself. -->>>

Ahhh I see your point.

K. Forman
July 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM
That isn't something that is likely to happen to anyone, other than me. However, it is likely that you'll end up missing shots. Pay someone that is proffessional, and get on with what you need to do, while keeping some piece of mind ;)