View Full Version : Bag for Fully loaded GL2

Jeff Toogood
July 29th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Anybody have any recommendations for a bag that will hold my GL2 fully loaded with MA-300, ME66, wide angle lens all attached and ready to go?

I would prefer that it not be flopping around in the bag though.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

K. Forman
July 29th, 2004, 10:57 AM
http://www.zag.co.il/products_inner3.asp?Super_id=1&Sub_Super_id=2&product_line_id=41&Sub_Sub_Super_id=8&this=491

Jeff Toogood
July 29th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Umm... I was looking for a bag, not a toolbox.???

Graham Bernard
July 29th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Not my KATA 102 . . I have too collapse the stuff .. I think the point was made by Keith. Y=I think you're gonna find it a bit hard. Having said that KATA have come out with a rather neat looking "taller" option of the KATA 102 .. you'll have too searech .. sorry ..

Grazie

K. Forman
July 29th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Actually, this little box is the best thing I have picked up. I have room for almost EVERYTHING, except lights and tripod. It's got hard sides to protect from bangs, and is water resistant, in case of rain. All for about $35.

Jeff Toogood
July 29th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Hmm... Maybe I am asking too much of a case, but recently I was in a hurry to get some video and by the time I got the battery on, the MA-300, fiddled with the ME66 to fit in the MA-300 and plugged the mic in.......

You guessed it, the action was over.

Jeff Toogood
July 29th, 2004, 11:49 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : Actually, this little box is the best thing I have picked up. I have room for almost EVERYTHING, except lights and tripod. It's got hard sides to protect from bangs, and is water resistant, in case of rain. All for about $35. -->>>

Do you put the camera in there? Do you put some kind of foam or other padding in it?

Graham Bernard
July 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Okay, this is what I do.

I go to a place to shoot. All my kit is in the KATA and my tripod Slung diag over my shoulders. Light/laptop bag, on one shoulder. KATA Bag on other shoulder .. it works .. I'm a chunky guy ..

Ok. Once where I need to be I rearrange my kit so that stuff gets redistribed. MA300 gets cosy with the sennis both 66 and Wireles Rec. This is one unit. The cammie is the other unit. Now, 'cops I redistrubeted stuff I've now got the KATA half open and the the two units now slotted together ready to pull out the bag. Flap0 goes back Cammie out. Finishe Flap back rest cammie back in bag .. and so on and so on . ..

So, procedure is in 3 Stages:

1 - Humping! - Transportation to Venue with gear in the three bags: Tripod in its own long "John"; PagLight system and Senni Wireless kit in an Old Laptop Shoulder bag; XM2 in its KATA 102.

2 - Dumping! - Redistribute stuff in any of the three bags that makes sense INCLUDING tripod bag and arrange ready for shots

3 - Pumping! - Cammie ready to pull and shoot and replace

Any good?

Grazie

K. Forman
July 29th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Jeff- My GL1 sits in the top box, underneath a liftout tray. I have a folded hand towel, the cam lays on it, then I tuck it in with another folded towel. I had considered putting foam inside, but changed my mind. It's well padded as it is, and I would have to flip my vehicle, to cause enough action to harm the cam. And you can use the towel to wipe things down.

With all of the stuff you have on yours, it would likely fit better in the bottom box, but you'll have to measure your setup and decide for yourself.

Alan McCormick
July 29th, 2004, 01:09 PM
I have found with weddings etc you need to be go, go go so I now use a sports bag with a foam interior that covers all sides and will cover the top like a lid. It has 2 end sections, one for spare batteries and filters etc. the other for tapes.

Now I have my XM2 fully assembled with wide angle/mic/senni radio rx, batt etc so all I have to do is pull out, turn on and shoot. My Pag C6 light is in there loose with remote ZR1000.

Next I will be looking out for a sturdier sided bag of the same size etc to give me more piece of mind.

Just my set-up, may help someone as an option.

For corporate shoots I am tending to go with the same set-up, it is just nice to assemble at home before walking out.

Michael Wisniewski
July 29th, 2004, 01:45 PM
I like using the Portabrace Hip packs (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=portabrace+hip). I'm still searching for the ultimate "quick draw" bag and this is the closest I've gotten. It frees up both hands when it's in the pack, and also frees up your shoulders for a smaller sling/tripod bag.

For microphone quick draw action, Portabrace also makes holsters (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=portabrace+holster&image.x=1&image.y=11), which you can attach to the hip pack or hang on your talent's belt.

Another thing I like to do is use a large lens pouch if I'm carrying my camcorder dissassembled in a backpack. LowePro makes some good ones (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=lowepro+lens+case) large enough for a GL-2.

Michael Wisniewski
July 29th, 2004, 02:04 PM
The new Kata 401 Panda looks interesting. Looks like it doubles as a back pack and a shoulder bag. Plus it has straps for your waist. Haven't gotten my grubby hands on it yet to see what's it's really good for.

*there's also 402 Panda but it's much larger.