View Full Version : GL 1 & hot pixels

Don Donatello
July 30th, 2004, 01:18 PM
just got back from some interviews in Utah. viewing the tapes i see a HOT pixel after the camera has been running 1 1/2 hrs.

i bought this camera in early 2000 and have already had the CCD's replaced TWICE because of hot pixels !!!! so this will make 3 times ... i've come to the conclusion this is a CANON issue not a freak accident that happens once in a great while!!!

i do have to say that the GE service contract ( extended warranty) has to be the best $170 i've spent on equipment as they have never questioned the repair $$ .. they just give me choice of places to take the camera .. i drop it off - the place says they can't fix it so they have to send it to canon -GE gives them the OK and canon replaces the CCD's ... i called GE this AM and no problem !!!! take it to joe's video ..i called Joe's ( took it there the other 2 times ) and he called me back 15 min later and says he has the authorization to ship it to canon for repair so i'll drop it off there on monday...

it is only because i have the service contract the repair bill doesn't phase me a bit... i have to admit that the project i've been shooting since 2000 does have too many shots with hot pixels ( Vegas has a very easy way to hide them) .. BUT if i didn't have this GE contract i'd be a very unhappy canon customer !!.
canon only warrantys the new CCD's for 90 days ....

is anybody else having repeated hot pixels on their GL1 ??