View Full Version : Card Stills to miniDV tape in Camera? Value?

Graham Bernard
August 5th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Ok .. . I can shoot in fine mode for the SD Card. This gets filled pretty quickly. I can then "download" in-camera these images to the tape in the camera. OK, questions . . .

Q1 - Do I keep the same "fine" quality when I load these "stills" to the minDV tape?

Q2 - Do I keep the same "fine" quality when I load these "stills" from the tape to my NLE?

Q3 - If the answer to any of these is NO .. then should I bother with the transfer in-camera across to the miniDV tape but rather EITHER use a "still" from the SD Card [ HIGH QUALITY ] OR accept the "lower" quality of tape for a source of stills?

This whole idea came about when I was experimenting with the stills card and thinking that I could transfer the stills to the tape - in-camera - and then make further space on the SD Card by then deleting them.

. .and yes, I could buy a bigger card .. well, I might not! ;-)

TIA

Grazie

Rob Lohman
August 5th, 2004, 04:57 AM
1) no

2) no

3) use the card for stills. If you don't like the size of the card get a bigger one. They are dirt cheap these days.

Go buy a bigger one grazie! <g>

Val Rodriguez
August 6th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Grazie,
All things been equal, I don't thing you would see a difference in quality between a still recorded from card to tape and a frame grab.
The reason is that you can't get around the recording limitations of the video head. The reason you can get high resolution stills recorded to your SD card is that the images are processed directly from the ccd to the SD card bypassing the video recording head.

Steve Olds
August 7th, 2004, 10:07 AM
The GL2 takes nice photos. Buy a larger card if you can.
Steve

Graham Bernard
August 7th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Steve, that's exactly why I'm posting this here . .. The XM2 does create stunning stills .. .

Yes of course the bgger card IS an option . . I just wanted to confirm that however "fine" I get the picture on the card, putting it, or saving it to tape, would in effect "remove" the detail/quality.. nothing more .. . nothing less .. .

Grazie

James Chesterton
August 7th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Hey Grazie!, Adrian here, as you can see, I still haven't updated my user profile, it's a time thing.

Been away for a while, working hard and acting in the film 'Bare', the play we toured way back when. Me and one of the other actors have now taken on the task of editing the thing, what a nightmare. It isn't until you get to the editing that you realise you haven't got half the shots you need and a lot of the audio is crap. For example distorted audio, and we used a lot of radio mikes which gave some terrible sounds when ruffling on clothing etc, it all seemed like a good idea at the time.

Need to sort out some of these audio problems if you can shed any light, soon as I have something worth showing, I'll send some to you if you like.

Hope you are well mate!

Graham Bernard
August 7th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Hiyah! . .

Steve Olds
August 8th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Graham
I have not tried to take a photo from the card and edit it on to tape either.

Steve

Graham Bernard
August 8th, 2004, 08:44 AM
No, not edit on tape .. but just to "shift" it over to the tape .. you can easily do this. It was my way of not needing to spend on a card upgrade. I can then "download" the tape and grab out the pics I want back at base. My thoughts 1 hour tape gotta be able to hold a few hundred stills?

Steve Olds
August 8th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Oh I see now, ( stupid me)that would be great , sorry for misreading.

Steve

Chris Hurd
August 9th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Still images going to tape are converted to VGA quality (640x480). Buy a larger SD card!

Graham Bernard
August 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM
AhaH! Not only an answer but a REASON too!

Thank you Chris.

Steve Olds
August 9th, 2004, 08:56 AM
In that case that would suck. SD cards are falling in price so I will buy another.
Steve