View Full Version : GL2 self-inflicted pauses while recording

Pages : [1] 2

Philip Hinkle
August 15th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I have a GL2 that has decided to go from record mode to pause mode when it feels like it. Sometime if it is already in pause mode it will just black out for a second, power itself backup and continue one with no problem (till the next time). When it is recording it will stop, the card mode indicator will quickly flash, it will go black and come back on. Push the record and off you go. What a pain. At last nights wedding it decided to exit record mode and go to pause just at the bride let go of the bouquet during the pause. I was back recording after the girl caught it and her name was announced. Luckily my wife is filming backup in case these events happen.

I tried removing the media card and it still does it. If you are in playback/vtr mode it works fine.

Any ideas on what this could be? Anyone else experienced this before?

I will be taking this to the repair facility tomorrow and was hoping I may have some ideas to give the repairman so he can duplicated it or have a direction to start troubleshooting.

I tried searching for this problem here but had no luck. This forum was very valuable when I had the Remove Cassette error though (on a different camera)

Thanks,
Philip

September 5th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Philip,

Thank God! I thought I was alone!!! I've been searching and looking for anything related to my problems and I just read your post!

Anyway, what you described is EXACTLY what has been happening to me, WITH TWO GL2's! I have a fleet of 4. The first one I bought two years ago has been doing it since day one... some day's worse than others. The second two I purchased I have never had a problem with. The fourth, which I bought last month, has the same problem as the first.

I've sent one back THREE times! Once to Canon and the other two times to MACK camera. All three times I got back a camera with the same problems. Today in fact, I was filming a wedding with one of the problem cameras that was supposed to be 'fixed' by Canon, and sure enough, during the procession it did it three times in a row... power down while recording and fire right back up again. Screen goes black, power 'ding' goes of, and it comes back on.

It's very frustrating to say the least. Have you had any luck since your problems with finding out what causes it?

Any info you can offer would be appreciated.

September 6th, 2004, 10:25 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Philip Hinkle :I have it back in my technicians shop for repairs. He thinks it is
either the on/off switch or the record button. I may have him replace
both switches just to see if it solves my problem. I will try and let
you know as we go forward. I don't need the cam for a few weeks now and
I am hoping he can duplicate the problem. It doesn't happen in VCR mode
only camera mode.

I have 2 GL2s and the other had the eject tape problem that is common
and has been fixed. I have had lots of trouble with the GL2 and would
like to throw them out the window. I got a used VX2000 for use as a
backup and for low light at wedding receptions and I love it. I won't
be purchasing another canon anytime soon. I hate them now but don't
have the money to replace them.

Philip Hinkle

Frogman Productions
Wedding Video That Will Make Your Heart LEAP!
-->>>

Hi Philip,

The first time I sent it in they told me it was a bad battery connection, that the leads were dirty and cleaned them. I've been doing the same with all of my cameras since day one so they basically blew me off it seemed. The second time I sent the camera in they said it had 'loose connections' that were tightened and it would operate fine at that point. Nope. The third time they "Replaced gear idler gear assembly and drive gear assembly. Performed Tape Path Adjustment. Cleaned Tape path and head. General checked and cleaned. All good working order." Still, no luck.

You may want to pass this onto your tech. I'm in the process of getting new cameras under their warranty. If canon can't do it this week, I'll be forced to get two new Sony's by weeks end for a busy weekend of events for me.

Matt

ps- keep me posted on your situation.

September 7th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Here's footage from the grassy knoll:

http://www.buerhausdesign.com/problem.html

Philip Hinkle
September 7th, 2004, 08:17 PM
This is similar to my problem yet different. When mine shuts down you can hear the internal motors closing down just like turning it off and then it comes right back on just like when turning it on and displays the city, time and date screen that shows on startup.

It appears your display just goes blank. The GL1s had lots of problems with the display connections going bad and many were repaired for this problem. Our local cable access station had this happen to their GL1s after they said too many people turned the screens around and closed the to use as a monitor. Anyway that is what it appears your problem is. In your clip I don't hear the motors powering off or anything. I just see your screen go blank. Does it do this if the screen is closed and you are looking through the eyepiece? If not I would bet on the screen connection being the problem. When this happens do you still get data recorded to tape? This looks duplicatable on your cam so the techs should be able to fix it. I wish my tech could duplicate my problem as easily as you are. He could then fix it.

Philip

September 7th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Actually, it powers down completely. The screen comes back on as the internal motors rev back up. If you look closely at the clip, you'll notice it's in 'REC' before, and 'PAUSE' after (red/green). It's doing the exact same thing as described in your description of the problem above. The sound isn't so great in that clip.

I only wish it was a display issue, I could live with that.

September 23rd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Heard anything from you tech Philip? My two are on their way back from Canon, again, and I'll be using both this weekend so I'll know what's up. They did something with the tape deck on one, did nothing on the other. They couldn't duplicate the problem... of course. I guess they think I'm nuts. A nice lady at Canon customer support who's been walking me through the repair process said that one they didn't even touch. So, I wonder what I'll miss this weekend:) Hopefully it doesn't cut out on me during anything important. I completely missed one bride coming down the aisle a couple weeks ago thanks to this problem... she's real happy to say the least. In two years this is the FIRST complaint I've ever had about my work, and it's thanks to a technical issue with my 'professional' cameras that basically shut down whenever they want! I feel like, with these two cameras, I have two naughty kids that will act up around me and my crew but behave fine around the people that count (Canon repair).

I'm told by Canon, once again, to keep an eye on the battery packs I use. I have 4 BP-945's and use them all on any one of the 4 GL2's on the same day frequently, mixing up the order in which I use them with the different cameras to rule out that theory. The SAME TWO CAMERAS continue to have the problem, under the same shooting conditions with the same battery's with the same DV tapes used on the other two GL2's that work perfectly (that I love by the way).

How many times does it take to send something back in for a problem before Canon replaces the camera? It's not my problem that they can't diagnose what's causing this issue, and why I got stuck with two of these lemons, I don't know. What is my problem is when these cameras don't operate as advertised and have an affect on my business like it did a couple weeks ago with missing a bride come down the aisle.

Not only does it seem like Canon doesn't care about my technical problems with these cameras, they don't seem to care about these brides and grooms in my video's. Missing something like a brides's processional can't be recaptured. It's lost forever.

That's not cool.

Philip Hinkle
September 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
My camera should be done soon. Funny thing about when I took it back to the tech a few weeks ago. When he went to power it up it wouldn't come on. Turns out a completely unrelated problem occured and a micro-fuse burned out. He has that fixed and can't duplicate my problem as usual. I am going to get it back soon and try it at a wedding in non-critical times. He feels it may be the lock/standby switch but isn't sure. Based on the nature of the operation of twisting it up and down continually it could end up where we don't turn it all the way. Anyhow....I am going to get the cam back soon and try it on a wedding next week and if it happens again he is pre-ordereing the lock/stanby switch to have on hand in the event I need it since I have a 3 camera wedding the week after that. I am getting frustrated and have vowed not to buy another canon camcorder. Sony's all the way now. I don't care if they cost a few hundred more. Unfortunately I can't sell these canons because I just don't know if they will continue working for the buyer.

Keep me posted.3
Philip

September 23rd, 2004, 03:48 PM
Well mine are back and I decided to test one out of the box. Within one hour I was able to duplicate the problem three times (all happened within a few minutes of each other). Once with one of my BP-945 batteries, twice with another BP-945.

One camera I don't think was even looked at. I tightened up the hand grip on the thing so a child couldn't even get their hand in there, and it came back the same way. You would think the service people would have had to loosen it up to 'test' it out properly.

Now I'm stuck with two cameras again that still have the same problem, and I'm going to be forced to use them this weekend and take my chances, again.

I don't think Canon really cares at all. I contacted my lawyers and they told me to file a complaint with the BBB on the grounds that one of these cameras have been in for service for the same problem four times and Canon has still not replaced the camera. Just becuase they can't duplicate the problem, doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. I have it caught on film for goodness sakes. I guess Canon thinks I'm crazy or doing this for a laugh?

I just want camera's that won't fail me. That's all. $2300.00 for a professional camera that I can't trust on a professional shoot is not a good investment. And Canon ignoring the problem isn't good business.

Philip Hinkle
September 23rd, 2004, 04:00 PM
I got mine back but won't have an opportunity to use it for awhile. When I do it will be in non-critical situations.

If I was you I would take the 2 suspect cameras and put them to work in non-critical places. If you know it is going to cut out on you don't use it for the processional and you won't have to worry about it.

Let me know if you have any luck with Canon or the BBB or a lawsuit. If mine is still doing it after my next shoot I will let you know.

Why don't you take it to a tech and show them the problem. I have a place locally here in Wisconsin that does the work for me. If they can't duplicate a problem they will allow me to come in the shop and show them first hand what is happening. Forget Canon and see if you can find an independent shop to do the repairs. I am lucky....I have one here. If you wanted to send it to my repair facility they would probably duplicate the problem if it is as easy as wobbling the camera as you showed in your clip. If this is what it takes they will try it. With any luck they should duplicate it and be on to something. Let me know if you are interested in this?

Eric Chan
September 23rd, 2004, 06:41 PM
Philip and Matt

Just want to let you 2 know that you are not alone on this one... I have had the same problem that my camera shut down itself and turn back on again. It happened to me 3 times in a minute once. To minimize footage lost, when it happens, I keep pressing the rec button so that when it starts back up, it is recording again. Unfortunately, I wan't able to reproduce it and before I try to do something to it, I run into another issue - the famous "remove cassette" problem that is.

September 23rd, 2004, 06:52 PM
Sorry to hear about your woe's Eric. Although this situation sucks, it's nice to know there's others out there with the same problem. It's obvioulsy not just isolated to a couple of users. When it first started happening to me, I thought it was normal for the camera. Six months went by like that. I wonder how many more are out there with this problem. Let's keep on top of it. Eventually we're going to figure out what's wrong.

Philip, I'm seeking all out replacement at this point. I can't afford to send these cameras away anymore. I need them for shoots all month long. I'll keep you both posted on the BBB stuff and what goes down with that.

Philip Hinkle
September 23rd, 2004, 07:01 PM
Matt....

Keep me posted if you are able to get a replacement so I can perhaps attempt the same thing. Mine is not as reproducible but a pain never the less.....I just need another job to give it a shake down and see what is up. If I got a replacement from Canon I would turn around and sell it with out using it and get a Sony. I have a 4 year old Sony D8 that has never been service and never had a problem.

Eric......

At least the solution to the dreaded "Eject Tape" message has been figured out. Canon will fix that one easy if you send it in.

I sure wish Canon could read this thread and some of the others here.

John DeLuca
September 23rd, 2004, 09:41 PM
I didnt read all the other posts, but I had the same problem only when I used the smaller(stock) battery.

John

September 23rd, 2004, 09:47 PM
Lucky for you John... really. I wish that was my problem. I've experienced it with the battery that came with the camera, and any one of four BP-945 Canon branded batteries.

I really, really wish Canon would read this thread. They're basically treating me like a moron.

Philip Hinkle
September 24th, 2004, 05:31 AM
I was just reading John's reply and wondering if it might be the battery in my situation then I realized that if it was the other GL2 would be doing the same thing but it works fine.....I won't say the other camera works flawlessly because it is a Canon and if I say anything good about it it will probably hear me and break again.. :-)

October 6th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Got my TWO cameras with this issue back from the Canon FSC, again, and again they said they couldn't find anything wrong with them... cleaned this, cleaned that, put a shipping label back on them and sent them back to me. One wasn't even touched I don't think. I tightened up the hand strap so a normal sized hand couldn't fit in it. It came back the same way. Canon said they extensively tested the camera. How so? Do little people work at Canon who can handle the camera to test it? Wouldn't you think they would have to loosen the hand strap to get a hand in there to 'extensively test' the camera?

I guess they think I'm crazy... that we're all crazy. That video I posted of the problem must be bogus in their mind... done with mirrors or something.

To top things off, I've used both cameras on several shoots since getting them back, and BOTH continue to experience the problem. It's like playing russian roulette with these things, it's a matter of time before they go out on me during something important, and hurt my business again.

Canon refuses to do anything about it. They're asking me to send one of them in AGAIN. Again they're asking me to send in a detailed letter of the problem (done that 4 times now to the tune of two pages long each time).

I guess because they can't get them to do it, there's no problem.

Well it's a problem when it hurts my business. It's a problem when the camera doesn't work as advertised.

It's NOT my problem that they can't get it to do it when they have it.

I'm thinking about filing a lawsuit. I mean, I have video of the problem! I can get more video of the problem! I could get them to do it in a court room!

What is it going to take? I'm not a bitter man and I do not by nature get angry over things easily, but to be treated like a moron by Canon who refuses to do anything about this problem is completely uncalled for and completely unprofessional.

October 13th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Philip,

Have you had any luck with your technician/camera?

Pascal Grondin
November 22nd, 2004, 01:12 PM
I have the same problem.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=245677#post245677

It happened again last night while filming a show.

I called Canon last week, it will cost at LEAST 240$ to fix it. But now I'm not sure they will be able to fix it.

Philip Hinkle
November 22nd, 2004, 02:23 PM
I think mine is fixed. I had it in the shop recently and when they went to work on it it wouldn't power up. They replaced the microfuse internally and it has been fine since. I actually am trusting it again for main use.

Perhaps the solder joints of the original fuse were faulty and would cut in and out. I don't know but for now (knock on wood) mine is good to go.

Philip

Steven Graham
November 25th, 2004, 05:41 PM
I think it might be the same problem, the following is copied from the other thread:

Hello Pascal,

I had a problem that sounds similar with my XM2. It started with the camera very occasionally shutting down and after a few weeks it was happening all the time. Sometimes it seemed to be related to movement of the camera other times not. It turned out to be a intermittent electrical contact problem in the Main Power switch on the top of the camera.

I solved this problem in my camera by:
1. Turning camera off completely.
2. Removing battery from camera.
3. Exercising the Main Power switch by repeatedly sliding the switch back and forth between CAMERA, OFF and PLAY a few dozen times. (Possibly exercise the Standby Lever between STANDBY and LOCK as well.)
4. Ensuring Main Power switch off.
5. Reattaching battery.
6. Turning camera back on.

I have not had any subsequent power problems since.

Regards,
Steven.

November 28th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Well guys, persistance pays off. After sending in both of my cameras numerous times over the course of the last 3-4 months to Canon, sometimes one at a time... other times both at a time (depending on when I needed them), they finally replaced them with 'new' cameras. If they're actually new or not, I don't know. They work, and that's all I'm worried about. I used both replacements on two shoots so far with extensive use with no problems. It is so nice to have some confidence now knowing I don't have to worry about one or both of them cutting out on me.

I feel bad in a way because a real nice lady at the FSC in Jersey apparently worked really hard on trying to get them to duplicate the issue several times wasting hours of her days to no avail. With one of the cameras, I had no problems getting it to do it several times an hour with my batteries or Canons (the same battery packs she was using for her own testing--which subsequently were the same model I had anyway- BP945's). However, Jane (as we'll call her) at the FSC just could not get them to do it. It's like having two bad kids that act up with the parents but act like little angels around anybody else. It was a frustrating process. I feared they didn't believe me at all, but at the same time I couldn't keep dealing with the problems I was having.

Well, Jane finally told me she got clearance for me to keep on of the loaner cameras they had sent me in exchange for one of the 'bad kids', and that she was going to send me another replacement for the other bad camera.

My confidence with Canons customer service has been restored. I've had great experiences with Canon before this when it came to service and what not, and although a slow process, this problem (knock on wood) for me has finally been resolved.

Just in time for the slow season...lol.

Alex Maldonado
January 15th, 2005, 10:41 PM
well i have had my GL2 for about 8 months when it suddenly started doing this to me, sometimes it does fine other tiems it goes nut with the on off thing, i was about to try and send it off, but thought i'd look for others like me before i did. this thread didn't give me much "hope" i will be trying Steven Graham's method in the morning, but if no luck, then i'll call cannon on monday. my initial warenty is about to go out, so i am eager to resolve this.

i was also looking to purchase another GL2, but since i do alot of "timed" multi camera shoots, i can't really afford to have diffrent automatic cuts in the middle of my shoots :)

anyone out there still dealing with this issue? or know of other recomendations?

January 15th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Turns out the replacement cameras were brand new... no problems since... if that helps. Have whoever you talked to at Canon to refer to this thread. It might help.

Alex Maldonado
January 27th, 2005, 09:26 PM
what is the average turn around time from cannon. i need to get this in and back between projects

Greg Boston
January 27th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Gentlemen,

On a related note, I had an intermittent scraping noise coming from the rear wheel of my truck after it had been in the dealer for service. Same thing happened in that it would never mess up for them. The solution was to carry my pana 953 until it started acting up. I hung the cam out the window pointed backwards and drove around the block. I burned it to CD and then handed it and the keys to my truck to them and said I don't want it back until it's fixed. Amazingly, it was fixed in a couple hours and has been okay since.

The moral of the story, have a backup cam pointing at the GL-2 so that you have an external view of the problem on tape along with the target camera's own tape. Then it's hard for them to call you crazy, even if they can't figure out what the cause is. Personally, as an electronics tech for the past 25 yrs., I am suspecting cold solder joints in a large batch of the GL-2's. The circuit boards are wave soldered (they pass over a bath of molten lead) and if the temp is not right, or there is contamination from a lack of proper degreasing before soldering, you can get cold solder joints. They are a pain to track down because just a change in environment can make or break the joint seemingly at random.

Anyway, maybe Canon service will see this thread and realize there are many folks having the same issue. That's the power of the internet. No more telling us that we are the only one having a particular issue.

Good luck,

=gb=

January 27th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Did that... and after two attempts of sending it back, since they couldn't 'reproduce' the problem, they would not replace the camera. It was mind baffling at the time. Here it is, on tape (www.buerhausdesign.com/problem.html), for them to see, and since they couldn't reproduce it, the camera was fine.

Fortunately, after working with a real nice Canon representative, they finally replaced both cameras I had that had the problem. Most of the time it's just a matter of persistance.

Greg Boston
January 27th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Saw your video Matt. Good work. I didn't realize you had done that as I read through the whole thread.

=gb=

January 27th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Yea, this is all old news to me anyway. It's frustrating to see other folks having the same issues, so I stay subscribed to this thread to help out best I can. It's funny really... after getting back two brand new cameras, one of the other four I have in my fleet had an audio problem! If just kept cutting in and out after downloading it. I noticed it while actually using the camera and not having any soundbars on the LCD... using no other audio device other than the built in mic on the camera (which is great BTW for picking things up). So I know it wasn't an import problem, cause it happened on the shoot! Now I have it mixed up with the other camera and can't remember which one it was...lol. So I have to do some trial and error with both and see if I can get it to happen again. Very disheartening. These cameras are wonderful otherwise, but now I'm constantly worried about either one shutting down on me, or losing sound. Not good for the grey hairs...lol! I hope the next generation 'prosumer' Canon camera, which will probably be HD and released sometime this year, does not have these issues. I'd jump ship to Sony or Panasonic if it weren't for the impending release of the new Canon lineup. I pray, pray many of these 'weird' issues, to say the least, are resolved.

Alex Maldonado
January 28th, 2005, 07:23 AM
anyone have a good contact number for cannon on this issue.

or do i jus dial 1-800-brokegl2.

seriously, what is the best way to reach them?

Alex Maldonado
March 1st, 2005, 09:53 AM
ok, so i sent it in to canon with this note:

Description Of Problem:
While recording the unit sometimes turns itself off, then back on into pause mode for no reason.

This happens when on tripod, on battery, on power cable, on different battery, and on multiple tape brands. I have wiped the spot where the power connects to the camera to make sure it's "clean" and have not had any luck.

This issue can not be reproduced on demand, but I have read of others who experience the same problem. you can read about it here if needed:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=267690#post267690

Thank You

about 5 business days later i got it back!

the service details were as follows:
repaired lock/standby switch. performed tape path adjustment. cleaned tape path and head. while operating between the lock and standby switch, please be sure to turn the switch fully until you hear a small clicking sound. cleaned and checked all functions.

so i used it off and on a few times, with no issues, then i went to record a 1 hour dance recital and it literally shut off 20+ times within that one hour. at first it went 15 minutes wihtout a problem, then it power cycled, then it went 10, then lesss, and less till it was turning itself off and on up to 4 times in one dance number! (luckily i had 2 other cameras running because i didn't trust it. :)

so today i called canon again, and they said, we'll send you a shipping label and get your camera repaired. :) i asked for a loaner while mine was out, and they said they dont' do that, i asked for mine to be replased, not repaired, they said they only do that if they can't fix the issue. i said. it seams like you dind't fix the issue, they said we'll see.

so i'm waiting for my label and pricing sony camcorders for now. any sugestions on what to do with canon?

Philip Hinkle
March 1st, 2005, 12:55 PM
I now have 2 Sonys and have relegated my Canons to backup and secondary duty. I was lucky in that mine died at the repair facility and wouldn't power up. Turned out a micro-fuse was bad. They replaced it and I haven't had a problem since and have used it heavily for a number of weddings. Seems my microfuse may have had a bad connection but who knows. All I know is that mine is working great now.

Good luck

Steve Olds
March 2nd, 2005, 10:16 AM
I bought my GL2 with a Visa credit card just in case I have a problem like this, I can call Visa and try to get them to replace it under warranty. Visa adds one year to the warranty if you use the Visa card. And I have had to use it one time to get something covered/replaced under warranty. The question does canon ever read these sites? Is a real good question. I have an old Sony and to knock on wood is just like a Timex watch "takes a lickin and keeps tickin". I now baby my Canon GL2 more than I ever did that Old Sony or my two kids.

I read the Sony site and never see so many problems like Canon or so it seems. Maybe Canon should read the Forums.
Good Luck Steve

Alex Maldonado
March 9th, 2005, 06:20 AM
well, i have sent it back in, and we'll see what happens. i'll be sure and keep you folks posted.

Alex Maldonado
March 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM
just a quick update, after tracking my camera down at canon, here is what i have been told.

it was tested for 3 days and never acted up :) great. then they sent it somewhere else to be tested and they are replacing the main circuit board on it.

they said they will be shipping it back to me in the next few days.

hope this worked.

March 21st, 2005, 05:10 PM
They never got mine to act up either. But sure enough, as soon as I would get my hands back on it, within minutes it would do it. I think they may 'fib' a little about their testing practices. I don't see how in any way possible they could not duplicate the problem if they would test for more than 5 minutes. I could be wrong, but that's just the way it seems (as it would happen to me so easily). At any rate, I hope this solves the problem for you Alex. If it doesn't, demand new units.

Alex Maldonado
March 28th, 2005, 07:55 AM
ok, well i got it back, took it out, put a tape in and set it on my desk and left it recording with another camera filming it. :) and for 2 hours it didn't act up. i didn't know whether to be excited or dissapointed. :)

so i took it out into the "field" this weekend, and filmed my sons's birthday party and our church service, and sure enough. BAM the stupid thing would shut off, only this time it was slightly diffrent. whever it does it, it does not shut ALL the way off, it only switches to a black screen, then back to my ready to record, a quicker power cycle than before.

so i'm going to try and capture this on tape this mornign then call canon. i don't know what they will think, but really, why would i WANT to send my camera in evey 3 weeks to them? what do i have to gain? i wish they would just replace the unit.

as always. i'll keep you guys posted.

LeEarl Rugland
May 18th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Well here we go!! I have the same problem and I am very upset too. Just got done taping a High School band concert and it happend 4 times!!!! I had it happen to me while testing some night shots the other night, but I thought my battery was MAYBE loose. So I pluged it in and still happened. So, what can a guy do. We spend $2000 on a camera to get high quality shots and we can not even trust it? Sounds like with all the problems they should just replace the camera instead of sending it back and forth 5 times.......

Very upset and worried I will not get it fixed like most here!!! I hope and pray I can get it fixed! Small business guys like myself can not afford to go and buy a new camera because you can not trust your 6 month old professional GL2.

LeEarl Rugland

LeEarl Rugland
May 18th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Just got off the phone with Canon and I am sending the camera back for repair tomorrow. The service guy I talke to said he had never heard of the problme before, SO I am going to print off this thread and send it in with my camera. I hope it helps with the repair of my GL2. I REALLY need this camera in 100% condition or I will have to take out a loan and buy a XL2 to keep from getting this problem again.

Keep us posted on how everyone else has faired in their repair proccess!!!

LeEarl Rugland

Alex Maldonado
May 19th, 2005, 06:28 AM
ok, so the way my repair issues ended up going were... the second time i sent it back i was very "persistant" about the issue getting fixed. it seems to me that a company the size of canon should be able to keep a database of issues that their techs could call up, so i was a bit frustrated when i got the same "never heard of it" type answers. anyway i finally was able to get a nice lady on the phone who worked witht he camera for about a week or so, never got it to act up, but then ended up replacing the inside parts of my camera, but kept the body the same as to not void my warenty. so all in all i give canon tech support an 85. they would have scored much higher had someone been "aware" of the issue the first time i sent it in. keep trying and be persistant.

May 20th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Just got off the phone with Canon and I am sending the camera back for repair tomorrow. The service guy I talke to said he had never heard of the problme before, SO I am going to print off this thread and send it in with my camera. I hope it helps with the repair of my GL2. I REALLY need this camera in 100% condition or I will have to take out a loan and buy a XL2 to keep from getting this problem again.

Keep us posted on how everyone else has faired in their repair proccess!!!

LeEarl Rugland

You know, that really makes me upset. I had this happen to two cameras. After sending them in 6 times, they finally replaced them both. Other people have had the same problem. We all know they keep track of issues and are probably looking on a computer screen with it right in front of them, but they're told to say 'never heard of it'.

THAT'S BAD BUSINESS, and a joke considering the expense of these cameras.

May 20th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Likewise, these people don't really test these cameras that much. They probably play with them for 2 minutes. There's no way they look at them longer if they can't get it to happen. Each time I got mine back it would happen within 5 minutes on either camera.

They're full of BS as far as I'm concerned from that aspect of things, however, I couldn't be more pleased with the service I've gotten on other issues with one lady in particular at the NJ service center.

For some reason, they just won't admit there's a problem with this power issue.

David Morton
May 20th, 2005, 03:02 AM
I bought my GL2 with a Visa credit card just in case I have a problem like this, I can call Visa and try to get them to replace it under warranty. Visa adds one year to the warranty if you use the Visa card. And I have had to use it one time to get something covered/replaced under warranty. The question does canon ever read these sites? Is a real good question. I have an old Sony and to knock on wood is just like a Timex watch "takes a lickin and keeps tickin". I now baby my Canon GL2 more than I ever did that Old Sony or my two kids.

I read the Sony site and never see so many problems like Canon or so it seems. Maybe Canon should read the Forums.
Good Luck Steve
Steve,
From your quote above am I to understand that if the camcorder was purchased using a Visa card, that Visa will extend the warranty.
I am having the "Eject tape" problem with my GL2.
It started last November when the Camcorder was 13 months old.
I was recording a rugby match and the camera asked for the tape to be ejected 5 times during the match.
I thought it was temperature related and haven't used the camcorder since for any important recordings, but it is still faulty 6 months later.
I use my XL1i or my Panasonis AG-DVC15E for weddings etc..
Incidently, the Panasonic has never given me any problems in 3 years, and I used a mixture of tapes including Sony, before hearing of the Wet/Dry problem.
If I contact Visa will they help fix this issue under warranty.

Thanks, David

Ken Pike
May 26th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Sadly, I've encoutered this problem. Fifth tape. Bought the camera about three months ago so it is still under warranty. The problem is intermitent so I am anxious about Canon repair being able to detect it. I've read through this thread so who knows for sure.

I have been hugely impressed with this camera's capabilities. Unfotunately it left me wondering this afternoon at a kid's track meet. Not a paid job, but one I'd hoped to be able to impress my daughter with since she came first in the high jump. Got the approach and the celebration afterwards but not much in between. Same issues with tape on many events her close friends were involved with.

I have not been able to duplicate the problem at home...when it really doesn't matter.

Oh well... any consolation or suggestions would be appreciated!

Alex Maldonado
May 27th, 2005, 06:33 AM
persistance is the only thing i can offer. i would include a copy of this thread printed out, and if the initial person you speak to over the phone does not "know" about the issuse, i would get in touch with a supervisor BEFORE you send in the camera, and see what type of "solutions" they can offer you.

best of luck and keep us posted.

Steve Olds
May 27th, 2005, 12:22 PM
David,
I used my Visa warranty 2 times through Visa with no problems, works for me. I had a $300.00 scaner go bad and Visa sent a check to replace it even the tax! This would be a good time to go to Visa website and read up on how to go about it. Down side might be it took a month with sending of paper work back and forth to get my money, BUT I GOT THE MONEY!. Good luck and let us all know how it comes out.
Steve

Andreas Meiser
July 12th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Hi guys,

sadly, I've encountered the same problem last weekend during a wedding shot with my XM2. Fortunately, it still worked during the ceremony, but I screwed up all shots at the party. I sent the camcorder in, but the dealer had no idea of this problem. All I can do now is hope for the best...
Meanwhile, can anybody tell me the end of his story? Did Canon finally find a solution for the problem? As there are no more posts about it for a year, I hope so... just let me know!

Thanks
Andreas

Philip Hinkle
July 12th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I am lucky and have a repair facility locally. I got to know the tech in the process of figuring out the problem. Basically according to the tech the pinch rollers have to be replaced. It is part of the tape drive mechanism. The tech told me that the motors try to place a specific amount of tension on the tape as it is pulled over the heads. I guess the pinch rollers are a little set of gears that help keep the pressure constant. If the pressure varies just the tiniest bit it stops and wants to eject the tape because it thinks the tape has ended or something.

The tech replaced them and I have not had any problems since. It appears that since you are using XM2 that it is a PAL model meaning your are not located in the US. I could give you the phone number of my tech here and he could explain the problem but it would be a pretty expensive phone call. I could try and get an email from him if you think it would help.

Andreas Meiser
July 12th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Philip, thanks for your quick reply. Nice to hear that your cam has been repaired and what fixed the problem. You're right, I'm from Germany, so I'd rather not call your tech. It wouldn't even help much because I had to send my cam to the dealer who will send it to Canon Germany, so there is no direct contact to the repair staff (so far). That's the way it works here. I hope that the problem is known at Canon meanwhile... But thanks for your kind offer! Maybe I'll come back to it when they are unable to fix the cam...

Philip Hinkle
July 12th, 2006, 10:05 AM
If there is anyway to get word to them to check the tape drive mechanism and pinch rollers it may be worth the effort. My tech even gave me the parts he replaced....I may still have them laying around and could email you a pic to show them what they look like.....if I can find them.....I may have finally tossed them but I do know they were laying on my desk for a long time.

Good luck.