View Full Version : zoom problem - solved (DIY)

Pages : [1] 2

Cosmin Rotaru
August 16th, 2004, 04:24 AM
A while ago I was hit by this problem (as David Woodland described it best):
"every now and then when I zoom in using the zoom grip, not the handle, it will either keep zooming and zooming when i let go of it.. or it will zoom in super slow"
If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can read this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14341

As my guranty expired and I don't have Canon service center near by, I figure I could try solving the problem my self. And I did.

So, if you have a good, steady hand (and an out of guaranty canon xm2/gl2), you can follow a few simple steps and repair your sticky zoom. :)

First: remove the plastic cover from the tape compartment. This is held by two screws:
one in front of the cover http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/1 FrontScrew.jpg and one at the back http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/2 BackScrew.jpg

BEFORE removing the cover, notice the two pins that holds the plastic cover in the lower part. You need to remember where these goes, so you can put the cover back when you're finish!
http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/3 UnderPin.jpg
http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/4 InsidePin.jpg

Now that you unscrewed the two screws at the top of the plastic cover, you just lift this cover up and expose the guts of the tape compartment door!

http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/5 PullUp.jpg

Now, for the most difficult part, you need to remove the zoom lever. You'll notice that it has two ears on which it pivots. Use two very small screwdrivers to drag the ears over the litle pins on which they ride. First I tried to drag one ear at a time - no luck that way. I had to work both ears at the same time. I aged like 10 years doing this! The ears are very small and fragile. So take care! (I was about to give up at this stage...)

http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/6 ZoomEar.jpg

Ok, you managed to remove the zoom lever? You found it where it jumped? :) (don't worry, it has no spring or anything else underneath that could be lost. This was hard!

Now, what you have to do is to clean the contacts (with "contact spray") of the zoom lever
http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/7 ZoomContacts.jpg
and the actual potentiometer that makes the zoom
http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/8 Pot.jpg
You can actualy see the dirt or watever is on the pic above. Don't rub the contacts to hard. Use contact spray. Don't use sandpaper or any other abrasive! Just contact spray that states it's good to clear contacts and potentiometers.

You finished cleaning the pot? Now put the lever back (it goes easy - it does "click") and plastic cover. You're done! :)

I have to tell you that this problem will return. As I saw how this zoom is design, I imagine all users will have this problem sooner or later. You see, a good potentiometer is sealed from outsied dust/water and watever. This is not! This is very much exposed to humidity and it will develop oxides over time. I also can't imagine how many times this pot can be cleaned before you don't have what to clean anymore...

Well.... good luck! :)

Graham Bernard
August 16th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Cosmin, well, I don't know if I will get around to it .. or I'll get Canon to do it for me . . BUT:

1 - THANK you very much for all your efforts - you excellent MAN!

2 - The presentation was simplicity itself to understand.

3 - Your explanations - as far as I know - would seem to be very straight forward.

.. the only thing I'm a little "weak" about are the the 2 pins and easing the lever over them?

Anyways, I now have amunition to take to Canon and say "Get on with it!"

Thanks again . .. I'm printing it off as I type this .. .

Grazie

Cosmin Rotaru
August 16th, 2004, 05:41 AM
No problem!
I hope this would help some users, as this is something many experienced or WILL experience. It is so obvious by the play the lever has, that is very easy to contaminate the interior of the zoom...

"the only thing I'm a little "weak" about are the the 2 pins"

Take a look at this pic again:
http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/7 ZoomContacts.jpg You can better see the ears and the scratches I made on the zoom lever while trying to remove it...
I want to emphasize again that you should really pay attention at this stage! If you're not sure you can do it, ask someone else you can trust with the job!

Graham Bernard
August 16th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Oh, I think I see . .you are actually needing to "prize" apart . . VERY slightly the "legs" of the rocker so that it slips/un-clips away from the sationary "pivots" .. which are part of the main body .. yes .. this is VERY tiny indeed! Can't be more than 10mm between your fingers? The thickness of the Rocker? I can quite clearly see the scratches and can imagine what you must have been thinking! . . . Tell, how on Earth diod you think that it would be this . . er .. easy? Perhaps not easy .. . but rather straight forward?

Grazie

Robin Davies-Rollinson
August 16th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Cosmin,

Thanks for taking the trouble to post those pictures.
If my camera should develop this trouble, I'll be following your excellent instructions to the letter!

Robin.

Cosmin Rotaru
August 16th, 2004, 07:48 AM
You can also see that English is not my native language! :) So thanks for the comment, Graham! ("prize" appart that is:) ).

Robin, I hope you'll never see this problem on your camcorder. I remember an waiter tipped a champagne glass on the table were I left my XM2 (don't ask me why my camcorder was there) and a few drops (luckly just that) went on the zoom lever... I'm not sure that the drop went inside. Anyway, greasy - salty - vapors from your fingers will sure get in there! The damn thing is not protected at all from outside elements! :(

Hans Nyberg
August 17th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Well I disassembled the zoom switch (twice). Using Cosmin's pics and directions, it was actually pretty easy. But I came to a different conclusion to what the the problem is.

Cleaning the contacts didn't make any difference, but it looked to me like the contacts inside the rocker didn't have enough tension on them to make a good connection with the potentiometer. To test my theory I inserted a "shim" on the outside (right side if you're looking at the back of the camera) of the rocker switch. This pushes the switch toward the potentiometer.

Now, for the first time in months, the zoom works perfectly. Not exactly a permanent fix but if Canon has an improved zoom lever maybe they could supply it to the people who would like to make their own repair.

Hans

Alan Craven
August 18th, 2004, 12:43 AM
This sounds like an internal solution which has the same effect as the external solution I posted last October, here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14341&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Unfortunately it did not last, and I ended up having to pay for a complete new cassette door assembly. I was told that the problem was due to the ribbon cable failing at the point where it emerged from the switch.

Graham Bernard
August 18th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Hans, I was thinking this. Sometime back one of our friends here did a similar thing with a small cable tie - think I've got it correct . .. hold on I'll attempt to find the link .. brb . .. .

. . . here yah go! http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14341&highlight=cable+tie+zoom

But, in the end, it just stops again.

This, IMHO, is a sad state of affairs. I've been applying some small engineering/electronic/electrical knowledge I do have. I've come up with the following.

It is requesting that "tension" or pressure remain positive in a plane that is at right angles to the "movement" - the need to "sweep" the radius of the pot - without the same downward pressure that is being applied by the fingers on the Rocker Arm. Not good. There isn't any positive downward application of the transference of the the fingers pushing the zoom rocker down to make this positive contact. The positive sweeping contact is solely reliant on the residual, factory set "Springiness" of the very tiny pot brushes. IMHO, again, the sweeper is needing to do 2 things. Firstly: to keep contact - remain ON and on the plates. Secondly to have enough positive pressure to obviate any "dry" contact that might have been created by dirt or grease form the exterior. Again, any "relaxing" in the tension created by the factory set of the springiness will, over time, exacerbate a problem. As the sweeper brushes and receives the current and in turn might encounter a small resistance they could will momentarily have a tiny increase in temperature. This in turn , IMHO, could affect the default "spring" in the sweepers. As we know heat can reduce the spring in metals. Could this be a factor?

So, friends we might be observing several effects:

1 - A gradual reduction in Zoom Rocker control - This I've got.

2 - An improvement by inserting a "shim" in the place described - this fits too with what I've outlined.

3 - Cleaning and reset makes for improvement - Cosmin

4 - Presently there is no protection to detritus making its way into the area under consideration.

I'd like to know from Canon is:

1 - IF this Zoom setup is different from that which was present in the GL1/XM1?

2 - Is it different from the XL1/XL1s or come to that the new XL2 [ Chris can you take it apart ??!?!? ]

3 - IF Canon has changed the design, has it been done to "improve" an issue previously encountered? And what was that problem?

4 - Have "others" any knowledge of how other Zoom/Rocker combinations are executed on say Sonys or Panasonics?

So, where do we go from here? A real solution would be neat! And maybe some recognition that there maybe JUST maybe an issue does exsist . . . . Would I still buy another XM2 - Yah Betcha!

Best regards,

Grazie

Graham Bernard
August 18th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Alan? How effective has it been so far? - I'm presuming it has fixed the issue? What do you think of my outline?

Grazie

Alan Craven
August 18th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Graham,

As I said in my post above, my jury rig with the cable tie merely delayed the inevitable. It did (just) survive my New Zealand trip, but by the end it was an absolute pain.

It is possible that I was told the truth, and the fault in my case was a cable fault, but having read Cosmin's post, I am very doubtful. I suspect I was ripped off, but then, servicing these days does basically mean replacing faulty modules with new.

My camera is an XM1, so it seems that the design fault - for this is clearly what it is - exists in both XM1 and XM2 models.

Your analysis seems reasonable. For my sins, I used to teach electronic engineering, so I have some knowledge in this area. The most common piece of equipment with a sprung blade wiping a track is the humble volume control. These regularly fail due to any permutation of track wear/dirt/weakening of spring contact. Once the contact becomes impaired, as you note, resistance increases, heat is generated and the problem is exacerbated.

The old aerosol switch cleaner could often save the day here! If I ever have the problem again, I shall try Cosmin's technique, but use some high tech gold based contact goo used in Hi Fi. I have converted his post and photographs to a Word document for future reference!

I have had exactly the same problem in the past with a Nikon 35mm SLR where the track contact failed on the aperture control ring in the camera body lens mount. There were two major differences between the Nikon and the Canon though: cost - Nikon far less than Canon; availability of part - Nikon immediate, Canon,only after several weeks!

David Woodland
August 27th, 2004, 11:48 PM
My zoom won't even work now. The handle zoom and grip zoom are both messed up. Every now and then it will zoom somehow though. This makes it impossible to shoot with the camera so I guess I need to send it somewhere... I still have a 3 yr warranty left. Also, will they be able to fix this problem for good?

Cosmin Rotaru
September 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM
The problem returned, even worse...
The cleaning stuff made it work for some time but now it just works now and then. Sometime I can press zoom in/out with no response from the camcorder. I also got another reaction: zoom in and the camera would not stop zooming in. I tried pushing zoom out breafly as to stop it from zooming in, and then i couldn't stop it from zooming out... I did this "effect" many times, like a crazy dude that just discovered the zoom... The enitre shoot was compromise. :(

Robin Davies-Rollinson
September 27th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Exactly the same thing has just happened with my XM2. At least, I can use the control on the handle as well as the LANC remote. However, it will have to be returned to Canon ...

Robin

Graham Bernard
September 27th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Cosmin & Robin, I took my XM2 to Canon in Herts - here in the UK - and a chap said he had not heard of the problem.

Robin, what are you intending to do? I think this is an awful failure on what is a remarkable camcorder. I think Canon INC should be mnade aware of this. My Father - 86 bless! - has an ancient Panasonic PAL annie . . kinda Pannie Annie PALlie - and the zoom works just as well now as it did in 1986 . .. 18 years? I/we have had our XM2's for what . . 1 to 2 years and this is what is happening?

I am not very happy at all. I'm now in the position of needing to buy another camcorder, just so I can 1/- Be assured I've got back up and 2/- Have an opportunity to get my zoom failing XM2 into the Canon Garage . ..

Graham Bernard

Robin Davies-Rollinson
September 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Graham,
I've got a contact in Canon so I'm hoping to get something sorted out there...
But you're absolutely right, it shouldn't be happening - and since it is, then Canon should be listening. Is this just a problem with the XM2, since the zoom rocker is on the casette compartment door? I think it's something to do with the ribbon cable getting stressed with the opening and closing.

Robin

Cosmin Rotaru
September 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Well, my canon is out of waranty period (I had just an year of that...). I'm thinking to go at the canon sevice and just buy the dam' thing... What else?! I also had a SVHS panasonic for about 8 years before selling it to buy this XM2. After 8 years it had NO problems at all. I just sold it because it was "outdated". (and analog capturing and editing MJPEG was a nightmare for me...)

Graham Bernard
September 27th, 2004, 11:53 AM
"I've got a contact in Canon so I'm hoping to get something sorted out there... " please contact me. I'm really quite upset about such a failure. The ribbon thing - if that - should be an easy and recognised repair - 30 mins tops for a repair! But I tell you what will happen .. they wont have the part and you will wait the statutory 28 days . . maybe 21 days if you are lucky. However, this is not my point. My point is that Canon must recognise that there maybe a design problem which at present is not being recognised.

Robin, maybe with your "contacts" maybe you, I, we could get somewhere. You have just discovered this, it wont be long before you will get really annoyed by it.

Cosmin . . I weep for you . . not good . . not good at all . . as for others? Wait for the "other" shoe to drop . . you may be lucky . . I really hope you are . . . However when it happens it is sickening . . .

Graham Bernard

Hans Nyberg
September 27th, 2004, 12:19 PM
My “shim repair” is still working. Among other things, I shoot video for the local fire department so my camera gets used almost every day – with lots of zooming. However. I’m not optimistic enough to think it will last.

A Canon rep called me a couple of days ago and offered free shipping to their repair facility in NJ. I explained that since I use my camera every day I can’t afford to send it in until it fails completely.

I directed her to this forum, and she assured me she would take a look at it. She also said she would bring it to the attention of the appropriate people at Canon.

Hans

Graham Bernard
September 27th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Hans thank you.

I really like my XM2, but when filming and then re-framing with the zoom, for that "special" shot, to have it ruined by the zoom continuing to zoom in is not good . . and then to have to wait for the zoom to take hold to zoom out when the action/moment has passed is not very professional. Like I say my Dad's ancient Panasonic analogue zoom controller just keeps on . . . well Rockin' . . .

Oh, the grip zoom somtimes overides this behaviour .. . sometimes it will not . ..

Please Mr Canon come back with some good news for us! ! ! Please!

Hans, while your contact is reading maybe she may wish to view the follwing to:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14341&highlight=zoom

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25723&highlight=zoom

Graham Bernard

Terry Lyons
September 27th, 2004, 06:04 PM
You guys are awesome. It's so cool to see guys continents apart helping each other with not just software but real mechanical problems! Even if it doesnt get fixed the first time you guys dont stop, thats awesom, thats powerfull, you guys Rock! Bravo!

Cosmin Rotaru
October 4th, 2004, 09:00 AM
I've just reopend the zoom and recleaned it..

Also, I looked at the small contact plates. They seemed not to touch the resistor (graphite?) part very well. I tried bending the contact plate for better contact and, for my surprise, it did bend very easy... I thought that part would be more "springy" and I wouldn't be able to bend it. It looks like cheap stuff....

Anyway, now the zoom works again.
But I'm expecting a replacement from canon. (I'm not going to open up my camcorder before/after every use..)

Federico Dib
October 4th, 2004, 10:50 AM
I just noticed this piece of info I´ve overlooked before..

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : I'm really quite upset about such a failure. The ribbon thing - if that - should be an easy and recognised repair - 30 mins tops for a repair! But I tell you what will happen .. they wont have the part and you will wait the statutory 28 days . . maybe 21 days if you are lucky. However, this is not my point. My point is that Canon must recognise that there maybe a design problem which at present is not being recognised.
Graham Bernard -->>>

WHen I sent my XM2 to repair this zoom issue, I left the Cam in the shop at 6 P.M (they close at 8).. and I got a call from Canon Service telling me my cam was ready, next day at 11 in the morning (they open at 10).

I was surprised that a "big city" like this, with hundreds of Cams, video and photo for repair (actually this is the only official shop in the whole province), will do that so fast, and they told me XM2 is considered Pro equipment and so it has priority.

Anyway, my point is, whatever the problem is, it sure can be fixed in 30 minutes, and whatever piece they need to replace (they told me they replaced the whole door) is easy available for them. And I´m pretty sure they are aware of what exactly the issue is, otherwise they will have not fixed it in 30 minutes.

So I guess the only reason to not accept a Design Failure is that there might not be enough XM2 - Gl2 users for them to care.

Well, I love Canon Products, and do not regret buying my XM2, but this issue will sure make me think twice whenever I have to purchase a product from them again.

Alan Craven
October 4th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I posted on this some time ago. when my XM1 had this problem I was told about the break in the ribbon cable where it emerges from the switch. They said that the switch/cable was a sealed unit and the entire system had to be replaced. In my case this involved a complete new outer skin to the cassette compartment door. It seems the rocker switch is not a separate component. It took several weeks to obtain the part (in the UK), but once it arrived the camera was ready next day. The bill was mainly for the part - the labour was less than I pay for a service.

I can accept that a break in a cable could cause an intermittent fault of this kind, which worsens with time. Cosmin's poor contact between wiper and track, either due to dirt, wear of the track or weakening of the spring contact makes sense too as an altyernative cause.

Whatever, my camera has not displayd the fault since it was repaired 8 months ago - touch wood!

Cosmin Rotaru
October 5th, 2004, 06:23 AM
I was informed by canon officials that I will recieve the replacement part at no expense! :)

Hans Nyberg
October 5th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Cosmin,

What part are they sending you ... the entire door, the rocker switch?

I'd like to see if I can make the same arrangement with Canon USA.

Cosmin Rotaru
October 5th, 2004, 08:38 AM
I don't knoe yet... I'll let you know when I get it!

Graham Bernard
October 5th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Cosmin - Please contact me . .I guess you know why!

Grazie

Cosmin Rotaru
October 22nd, 2004, 05:11 AM
Hi all,

I've received the the rocker switch yesterday (it is NOT the entire door). I already replaced the old one last night! I must tell you this is not a simple task. I actually had to remove the bottom part of the camera (the plate with the tripod mount), which is METAL by the way, and then I removed the lateral wall of the camera, all so I could access the connection for the zoom ribbon cable.
I took a couple of "hard core" pics while working on it. It's on film, though. So I have to get them processed and then I'll post them for "hard-core" fans! :)

I cannot see any difference between the new part and the old one. Except this new one is working, of course! :)

Graham Bernard
October 22nd, 2004, 06:07 AM
Well done Cosmin! - I just wouldn't attempt this . . .

You have my admiration . . oooo Hard Core yes please . . Naked XM2 in Romania . .

Grazie

Cosmin Rotaru
October 22nd, 2004, 06:14 AM
:))

Cosmin Rotaru
November 17th, 2004, 12:36 PM
As promised, two "hard core" pictures of my XM2:

In order to change the zoom rocker, I had to remove the lateral of the camera. For that, I had to first remove the bottom of the camera:
http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/canon_open_2_small.jpg

In the 2nd pic you can see the lateral part of the camera removed:
http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/canon_open_1_small.jpg

In the bottom halve of the pic you can see the old and the new zoom rocker. This is the part I got from canon. So, NO, there's no need to change the whole door assembly! (I don't know if I could even do that!)

BTW: the camera still works! :)

Charles King
November 17th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Boy Cosmin, you are definately a brave person. ;)

Graham Bernard
November 17th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Now, why does this remind me of THE TERMINATOR! . .. "I'll be BACK!"

. .. Grazie

Cosmin Rotaru
November 18th, 2004, 10:13 AM
wanna see my brand new TV from inside? :)

Graham Bernard
November 18th, 2004, 01:04 PM
WILL SOMEBODY STOP HIM ! - NOW !

. . The Evil Is Out there Mulder . . .

Joseph Henry
November 24th, 2004, 12:59 PM
I have had my GL2 for nearly 2 years and am just beginning to experience this zoom problem. I contacted the only Canon dealer in my city, and they have not had much experience fixing this problem. From what I've read in all the posts, I'm still not sure what to ask them to do. Should I suggest that they replace the door assembly? Or the ribbon, or both?

I have an extra warranty on my credit card purchases but this will expire for the camera in 2 months. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Cosmin Rotaru
November 25th, 2004, 05:17 AM
http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/canon_open_1_small.jpg
In the bottom halve of the pic you can see the old and the new zoom rocker. This is the part you should get changed. There's no need to change the whole door assembly.
The zoom rocker comes with the ribbon attached.

Lee Wm. Gaudry
January 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Cosmin Rotaru posted a wonderful set of instructions and photographs to help access the zoom rocker switch on the GL2. However, I am attempting the same thing on a GL1, which has a completely different on the inside door assembly.
Help?

Cosmin Rotaru
January 12th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Sorry, I have no ideea on the GL1. Does the GL1 exhibit the same problem?

Come over here and I'll help you disassemble your camcorder! :)

Lee Wm. Gaudry
January 12th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I believe it is the same problem you fixed, The Rocker feels as if something is stuck in it. It sticks when zooming in. It is very annoying. The zoom still seems to work fine, even variably, but it mechanically sticks. When it first happened, it was stuck quite hard and had to be forced to even move. I'm hoping that continued use will smooth it out.
As for bringing the camcorder over, Romania I am told is beautiful (one of my best friends hails from there). But it is rather far. (from Calgary, Canada).

Cosmin Rotaru
January 13th, 2005, 04:05 AM
A! Canada! It must be cold there, right now! :) Maybe the zoom rocker is frozen! :lol

Now, my problem was a bit different. It was nothing mechanical. The zoom rocker did not behave wrong MECHANICALY, like you describe. Maybe something got into there? I gues you've seen the pics I'
ve posted, about disassembling the zoom rocker? It shouldn't be very diferent from the GL1... hopefully! Maybe you'll manage to open the zoom rocker and clean it up.

David Woodland
January 13th, 2005, 10:21 AM
So yeah.. I am pretty sure that my zoom problem has gone away. Atleast for the time being. It seems to happen a lot more when it is humid out or hot. During the summer I had so many problems with it but now it seems to be working fine.

I may still send it in sometime while my warranty is still valid though. Just to make sure that nothing is wrong internally.

Well thats all for now, take it easy board.

Peter Butler
February 11th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I've just discovered this problem on my XM2. I've had the camera just over 2 years which by the sound of things is when it usually goes wrong.
The thing is I've hardly used the camera but I did use it extensivley in 2003 when I visited the USA. It was a road trip and I travelled some really harsh places with a lot of heat, dust and sweat and I reckon that's where it's gone wrong.

luckily I took out a 3 year warrenty so I think I'm going to let Canon sort this but this site is brilliant so i ccan show it to them before handing it over. Thanks a lot to the guys who have put a lot of thought into finding out why this was happening.

pete B

Michael Donne
April 4th, 2005, 01:27 PM
(this might appear twice as i submitted but got a 'cannot find page'.)

More thanks to Cosmin here as i would not have 'gone in' without his instructions.

I was getting a zoom outward that wouldnt stop.

I did the dismantle and clean....easy...but didnt work.

I opened up again and applied upward pressure with my finger to the copper strips on which the rocker switch sits.

Only did it on the faulty side and so gently there was no visible change to their resting position...i could feel by pressing down on them there was added resistance though.

Put back together and it works....for now anyway.

Cosmin Rotaru
April 4th, 2005, 02:01 PM
My pleasure!

If you need to see some more XM2 guts, just ask! :)

Alan Craven
January 26th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Regular readers may recall that I had my XM1 repaired just under two years ago - a complete new tape compartment door assembly was fitted. The zoom control failed again two weeks ago whilst I was in New Zealand. This time as soon as the camera is switched on it zooms automatically to max focal length. As before pressure on the zoom switch towards the centre line of the camera body effects a temporary solution.

I shall try Cosmin's solution before abandoning the camera. There seems to be little point in buying an XM2 as replacement as that suffers from the same design faults.

I suppose that I shall have to switch to Sony despite its shorter f lens - I will achieve some compensation by replacing my Sony 1.7X convertor with a Century 2X convertor.

Alan Craven
January 31st, 2006, 01:27 PM
Oh dear!

The design of the cassette compartment door on the XM1 is totally different to the XM2, so Cosmin's excellent instructions were of little avail. I had to virtually dismantle the camera to get at the rocker switch, only to find that it was a sealed unit. The magic contact cleaner spray had no effect, so I have bought an XM2.

Now I just hope that Canon do not bring out the XM3 too soon!

The switch and its ribbon cable are a separate unit held into the door by two machine screws and a bit of tape, so the complete door unit I was charged for 2 years ago was a complete rip-off, as was the labour charge. If I were to dismantle and re-assemble again it would take less than an hour.

The quality of the switch itself is a disgrace.

Kenneth Tong
July 24th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I used the following method to solve the zoom problem and it works! My big thanks to all of you!

"A little experimentation shows that this problem, in my camera at least, is due to the Zoom control rocker switch on the cassette compartment door. If this is pushed sideways, towards the main body of the camera, the spontaneous zooming, and continued zooming after the control is released, stop."

As I have to open & close the casette compartment door very frequently to change tape. The door lock is so close to the zoom botton and I might have pulled it sideways (outward direction) to hard during opening, which caused the zoom problem. I also suspect that too much heat may cause the problem. I hope the the above solution will last long.

I have used my XM1 for over 3 years, or trips and children performance. I love it especially low light performance.

Salvador Arellano
August 9th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Wow!! So, I just spent an hour last night replacing the zoom rocker on the GL2. First of all, thank you Cosmin for the posts they helped alot. The other thing is that I'm not a DIY type person - just a little short on the $250 to send the camera in. So, for those of you who feel the same dont despair, the procedure is not that difficult - just have patience and pay attention to what you're doing.

Now for the info you want:

1. Paper cups - you'll need these to place all the screws you'll be removing from the chassis. Label each one to where they go on the camera - it makes it easier when you're reassembling.

2. Be careful not to strip the screws. I had a hell of a time removing the two screws from the rear of the chassis. Also, on the bottom plate there are 3 screws around the tripod connector that do not need to be removed.

3. I'm sorry but I didn't have a digital camera so I had to attach to this post a part of Cosmin's picture to illustrate what I'm talking about (I hope you don't mind!). After removing the door cover I had a hard time inserting the end of the cable from the new zoom rocker. What I ended up having to do is remove the actual metal door mechanism from the side panel cover (connected with five screws). I found that it was easier to connect the cable when the mechanism was completely closed (after it was removed from the side cover.) This exposed the connector slot more so that I could insert the end of the cable.

4. The next thing you want to do after the new zoom cable is inserted in the connector slot is remove the adhesive backing on the cable strip (that’s connected to the rocker)and adhere it the the metal door mechanism. Screw on the rocker AFTER you've done this. Do not attempt to screw the zoom rocker onto the metal door mechanism - it'll make
connecting the new cable strip to the slot more difficult.

5. Last thing, pay attention to how the brown cable strip (going from the side door cover part to the camera) is connected to the main body of the camera. I had to refer to Cosmin’s picture to put it back in the correct way. That's pretty much it. There's really nothing to this $250 dollar job except that $13.95 zoom rocker. Hope this helps.

Part#: DG1-7395-000
U.S.A Phone# direct to parts dept: 1-732-521-7230