View Full Version : white balance for multipule shots in a scene with my GL2

Dennis Parker
August 17th, 2004, 03:39 AM
I have been experimenting with my gl2 for the best possible shots for a short I'm shooting this weekend. I will be using all manual settings. I am aware (thanks to the great archives here at dvinfo!!!!) that setting your own white balance will give you a better picture and control over the final image than the automatic wb settings.

Here's my question; Should I/do I need to reset my white balance everytime I change my camera position when shooting the same scene?

I will have a lock down master shot of two people talking about 4 feet apart. I also want a hand held shot from person A's pov and then a hand held shot from person B's pov for the exact same scene.

Should I reset my white balance everytime I change camera position or keep the original white balance from the master shot? I was concerned that if I do or don't reset white balance, my colors would be way off when editing all three shots together. Or is the color difference a common problem when editing it all together?!? I have final cut express and I'm learning about the color correction filter. I will be conducting my own tests over the next few days...but any advice greatly appreciated!!

Robin Davies-Rollinson
August 17th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Dennis,
If you're not changing your lighting - or if you know that the light source is stable - then you shouldn't need to re-balance at all in the same location.

Robin.

Dennis Parker
August 17th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Thanks Robin!!

I'll be relying on the rooms natural light and a couple of Chinese lanterns that I'll keep in the same position for each shot. Thanks again!

Ken Tanaka
August 17th, 2004, 10:23 AM
As Robin notes, no, you should not have to adjust white balance for the same set/scene. In fact, you would be causing yourself endless grief if you attempted to do so. As you will likely be inter-cutting shots from different camera positions in that room you would end up having to color correct each snippet to get them to blend when editing. Ugh!

Dennis Parker
August 17th, 2004, 11:09 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : As Robin notes, no, you should not have to adjust white balance for the same set/scene. In fact, you would be causing yourself endless grief if you attempted to do so. As you will likely be inter-cutting shots from different camera positions in that room you would end up having to color correct each snippet to get them to blend when editing. Ugh! -->>>

Thanks for the advice Ken!

I'll set the white balance once for the master shot and keep that setting for when I move the gl2 for the secondary shots around the same set.

Now I have to decide whether to use frame mode or not.....(Believe me I know this topic has been discussed on way more than a few occasions) ;)