View Full Version : Best Audio and Light combination

Sharonda Perkins
September 8th, 2004, 01:32 PM
I am interested in purchasing a video light and some wireless mics to go with my GL-2. Because of one advanced acccessory shoe, I am not sure what to do? If I get the VL-10 Light, it connects to the shoe but is powered by its own battery. Please help.

John DeLuca
September 8th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Sharonda,

The VL10 is a good, and affordable light( I have one). Its only weakness is you have to keep it somewhat close to your subjects, due to lack of range. The wireless mics are powered by 9 volts usually, and can be mounted just about anywhere on the camera or tripod, so I wouldnt worry about the shoe being taken up(you can also get a duel shoe bracket).

John

John DeLuca
September 8th, 2004, 05:58 PM
To give you a better idea, in the pic, it has the shoe taken up by a fill light, but the wireless mics are mounted by velcro to the audio adaptors. Even though the wires look like a mess in the front of the camera, they dont show up in the frame of the GL2 no matter how you pan or tilt. Hope this helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/Alpha1jd/JohnsFrezzisetup.jpg

Todd Siechen
September 13th, 2004, 04:05 PM
John what is that thing that your camera is mounted to thats mounted to the fluid head with all the cables coming out of it? Im assuming its some kind of battery system?

Also what head and tripod are you using - the things looks like it goes pretty high. Does the center column go up independently of the spread?

Thanx

John DeLuca
September 13th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Todd,

Heres a list of equipment in the pic...

GL2, Bogen 503 fluid head, beachtek dxa-6, beachtek SVU-2 meter, two senn ew 500 wireless receivers, bogen 522c lanc controler, bogen 3068 Universal Video tripod, bescor battery belt, sony mdr-v900 headphones, 35-watt frezzi microfill light with barn doors and filters, hoodman sun shade.....just orderd two panasonic seven inch 16:9/4:3 switchable monitors to boot, will have on photobucket soon.

***John what is that thing that your camera is mounted to thats mounted to the fluid head with all the cables coming out of it? Im assuming its some kind of battery system?****

The only thing attached to the head is the beachtek audio adaptors and wireless receivers(and the gl2 of corse). The battery belt is strapped to the tripod below(also weighs it down some for a more solid shot) and powers the fill light and a seven inch 16:9/4:3 switchable monitor at the same time(had to have cables made...bnc to s-video, AB powertap to fourpin XLR), the GL2 has its own battery.

****Also what head and tripod are you using - the things looks like it goes pretty high. Does the center column go up independently of the spread?***

Bogen 503 fluid head, and the Bogen 3068 universal video tripod.........Yes you can crank it up quite a bit from the spread, that is one of the reasons I got it, to get over peoples heads at weddings(another reason to buy the monitors) which it does a great job of doing. Also has optional ground spikes to use for outdoor weddings.

John