View Full Version : One more thing...

Jay Stevens
September 22nd, 2004, 01:32 PM
Just got my GL2 and want to know 1. How to keep from auto turning off after 5 min. idle time. 2. What settings for manual aperture settings. I'm sure I will read in the manual soon enough but thought I'd get some expert user settings.

Thanks.

Zack Birlew
September 22nd, 2004, 05:44 PM
I've got a GL1 and I suffer from this as well. Everybody has mentioned this issue once or twice before, but the conclusion is that it is something that you have to get used to as a GL/XM/1/2 owner. It sucks BIG time for the Hard Drive Recorder users, but they found a workaround by putting a tape in there and recording over and over and unfortunately for you and me, that's something we can't do by default. So just try to get used to turning the camera off yourself and then turning it back on and possibly altering settings again.

Federico Dib
September 22nd, 2004, 08:22 PM
1. -
I don´t have the manual at hand, but I´m sure that you can disable that feature. At least on the Xm2 (Gl2 for sure also).

When the auto shut off is disabled, It will not turn off the camera, but will "disengage" the tape mechanism to protect the heads and tape.

2. - That will depend mainly on lightning conditions and the look you are after.
I´d suggest to experiment a little and get to know the zebra patterns.
Also keep in mind that what you see on the LCD or Viewfinder is probably not exactly how it will look on TV or PC monitor.

Jon Welker
September 22nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
Basically, you can use the Custom Key button and set it to go to VCR Stop, it's one of several options you can set it to. Here's how:

- In camera mode, select the Menu button.
- Scroll to Custom Key and select.
- Select Custom Key and scroll through until you hit VCR Stop

Then, when you have a long pause in between shooting, just his the Custom Key button on the left side of the GL2 and it puts you in standby mode and doesn't automatically shut off!

David Ennis
September 22nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
You can tell the GL2 not to shut down after 5 minutes of pause, but instead to go into a state called "stop." Here's how. Turn the main slider switch on top of the camera to "Camera." You don't get the menu options you need in "Playback." Press the menu button and select "VCR Set Up." Change the setting from "Shut Off" to "VCR Stop."

Or, you can also set the custom key to "VCR Stop," and then use that button to toggle between "pause" and "stop."

Jay Stevens
September 22nd, 2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys! Sounds like there are some people who know this camera. That makes this a great site.