View Full Version : GL-2 Questions

Pages : [1] 2

Heidi Willoughby
August 19th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Hi Steve, Jeff and Barry,

Wow, thank you for your replies and for the return tips (Steve).

So, before I bring this camera back in (and ask for another one), I want to make sure I understand why you are suggesting this:

It's based of the fact that I'm having such trouble white balancing on the blue -- regardless of the intensity of the blue or the location I wb. Right? Is there anything else I should tell the sales person?

I don't know if this adds fuel to the fire, but Barry, I tried your custom presets and they appear off to me -- quite blue/green. While we may have differences in color taste (and/or eye sight), I can't imagine it's that off...

Finally, I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to these questions:

1. Is there a way to get a running time timecode to display somewhere on the GL2? It shows up nicely on the side of the VX2000.

2. When in TV or AV mode, is there a way to see what the default setting is? For example, if you are in TV and adjust the shutter speed, can you read, somewhere in the viewfinder, what the f. stop is that has been set?

Thank you again!

I'll keep you posted on my saga...

-Heidi

Ken Tanaka
August 19th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Since discussion under the original thread has strayed far away from the original topic I've taken the opportunity to split Heidi's new round of questioning into a new thread.

John VVV
August 19th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Heidi, some thoughts.

"I don't know if this adds fuel to the fire, but Barry, I tried your custom presets and they appear off to me -- quite blue/green. While we may have differences in color taste (and/or eye sight), I can't imagine it's that off... "

My GL-2 seems to work fine with the presets

"Finally, I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to these questions:

1. Is there a way to get a running time timecode to display somewhere on the GL2? It shows up nicely on the side of the
VX2000."

Try page 38 for viewing timecode recording and page 90 for timecode playback display

"2. When in TV or AV mode, is there a way to see what the default setting is? For example, if you are in TV and adjust the shutter speed, can you read, somewhere in the viewfinder, what the f. stop is that has been set?"

I'm still working on it and my GL-2 in not with me, but on Page 91 there are instructions to view all shutter settings during playback. It's possible that this could work for the recording display

Regards, John.

Joshua Wachs
August 20th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Ken... (or anyone)

Where's the original thread? I'm just trying to catch up and don't see where the custom presets thread is located - hence your split has confused my simple brain.

Jeff Donald
August 20th, 2002, 07:12 AM
That's why it was split. It's buried on the 7 page thread at the top. Barry's comparison of the XL1, GL2 and the Sony.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=19758

We had strayed way off the comparison of the 3 cameras. Sorry for the confusion.

Jeff

Heidi Willoughby
August 20th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Hi,

Talked with Canon (again) today.

The answer to my question

"When in TV or AV mode, is there a way to see what the default setting is? For example, if you are in TV and adjust the shutter speed, can you read, somewhere in the viewfinder, what the f. stop is that has been set?"

is:

No. You can't tell (unless of course, you are in Manual).

So, if you are in TV you have no idea what aperture the camera is using (and visa versa for AV).

This is also true of Exposure Lock. You can use it, but you can't know what the shutter speed or aperture settings the camera is using.

-Heidi

Linc Kesler
August 21st, 2002, 12:05 AM
Hi Heidi,

I've been following the whole thread and I would also guess you have a defective unit: I've found the color on my unit to be quite good and adjustable using the custom presets.

Here's something I think I figured out today regarding what the camera is doing on auto settings. If you go into the Tv mode and set your shutter speed, then focus on your subject, then switch to manual, I think the manual settings displayed show what was set in automatic. I experimented with this quite a lot and I think it works, but others may be able to confirm or correct this. If you have set the AE shift, that setting will also be reflected: when you shift to manual, the setting you see as indicated on the top metering bar will be higher or lower by the amount of AE shift you have dialed in. Cool, eh?

The hitch is that if you manually shift a setting in manual mode, manual mode will no longer reflect the settings in the auto mode you have switched from. Instead, it will return to the previous manual setting you used. I think you have to power down to erase that manual setting and get it to track again.

I know this is a kludge (less convenient than actually just being able to see the info), but if I am right, it does give you a way to check and see what's going on. I could have used it today on the shoot I was on, because I wanted to avoid gain boosting, so I used manual, but I had to ride the aperture quite a bit as the clouds went by my light source window.

Here's what else I figured out, using the above technique that would have helped me today. On auto setting, I think that, as the light level drops, the camera will drop the shutter speed to 60 and open the aperture wide open (effectively
varies with zoom), before it boosts gain. To minimize gain boost at a lower shutter speed, such as 30 where I had it on manual today, the move would be to set 30 on Tv and let the camera control the f stop until it ran out of room.

Finally, I should note that I went with this camera and not the VX2000 because of the sound circuitry, which is crucial to the interviews I'm doing (external mics, manual setting). I'd heard about too many problems with the Sony to take the chance. I'm not sorry. The independent meters and adjustments are great, and the preamps are quiet (keep mostly below the green dots). I am really finding the picture quality (and color) good, and the controls very usable, once I've figured them out.

Good luck with your situation: I hope it's an anomaly, but no fun for you in any case. Why not try another GL2 at the store, and if it doesn't have the problem, ask for an exchange?

Linc Kesler

Heidi Willoughby
August 21st, 2002, 05:16 AM
Linc,

Interesting...

Thank you very much! I'll definitely give it a try in the next day/two and report back.

Thank you!!

-Heidi

Joshua Wachs
August 21st, 2002, 05:57 AM
Heidi -

I'm also in Boston w/ a GL2... maybe we could do a comparison to see if yours behaves differently?

Heidi Willoughby
August 21st, 2002, 07:00 PM
Hi Linc,

Ok, so I just tried your tips and here's what I found, and a few questions, of course :-)

"Here's something I think I figured out today regarding what the camera is doing on auto settings. If you go into the Tv mode and set your shutter speed, then focus on your subject, then switch to manual, I think the manual settings displayed show what was set in automatic. I experimented with this quite a lot and I think it works, but others may be able to confirm or correct this."

Yup, I found this too.

"If you have set the AE shift, that setting will also be reflected: when you shift to manual, the setting you see as indicated on the top metering bar will be higher or lower by the amount of AE shift you have dialed in. Cool, eh?"

Yup, I found this too. In some ways, I actually find this a bit confusing as it's more diffcult to know what a "correct" (shutter speed to aperture) exposure might be.

"The hitch is that if you manually shift a setting in manual mode, manual mode will no longer reflect the settings in the auto mode you have switched from. Instead, it will return to the previous manual setting you used. I think you have to power down to erase that manual setting and get it to track again."

This I find a bit bothersome. Here's the thing, generally I shoot in Auto (and tweak for a proper exposure given backlighting, etc.), but occassionally Iventure into TV or AV or Manual.

I know (and understand) much more about still photography then video technoology, so I like the idea of TV or AV because of my comfort with shutter speed/aperture in still photography. And, I want to get better at shooting video (design the look/feel of the shots more precisely).

The problem is, let's say I'm in "Auto," more or less the camera is going to help me keep a proper exposure. When I go into TV or AV or Manual for that matter, the camera "listens to me" more, rather then telling me what exposure to use.

If I start messing around with the shutter speed or aperture or both, I have no way of knowing if I'm going too far afield. Or, am still within "reasonable" territory (what I think I mean by "reasonable territory" is: a decently exposed picture).

I've been wondering, in fact, if there is a way to see what the Auto setting is, even after I mess around with Manual? (In other words, when I first go from Auto to Manual, the Manual setting tells me what the Auto setting is. If I then start to change the Manual setting (or, as you suggest, change anything previously in TV or AV) I won't be able to get the Auto setting to track again, until I power down. Is there a way to get back to the "default" Auto?

"I know this is a kludge (less convenient than actually just being able to see the info), but if I am right, it does give you a way to check and see what's going on. I could have used it today on the shoot I was on, because I wanted to avoid gain boosting, so I used manual, but I had to ride the aperture quite a bit as the clouds went by my light source window."

I'm under the impression that the only way to boost gain is in Manual.

By the way, have you noticed any difference in maintaining settings if you turn the camera off versus going from "Standby" to "Lock?"

"Here's what else I figured out, using the above technique that would have helped me today. On auto setting, I think that, as the light level drops, the camera will drop the shutter speed to 60 and open the aperture wide open (effectivelyvaries with zoom),"

That is what happens according to Canon.

"before it boosts gain. "

I was under the impression that gain was only used in Manual, no where else (not Exposure Lock, etc.)

"To minimize gain boost at a lower shutter speed, such as 30 where I had it on manual today, the move would be to set 30 on Tv and let the camera control the f stop until it ran out of room. "

Wouldn't this mess up the look and frame rate of the video?

Thank you for the tips and your opinion on the GL2 (vs. 2000).

Look forward to your response.

-Heidi

Heidi Willoughby
August 21st, 2002, 07:01 PM
If you've figured yours out... sure, that'd be great to compare. You can comtact me at heidi@media.mit.edu

-Heidi

Barry Goyette
August 21st, 2002, 07:29 PM
Heidi

the Gain is adjusted (boosted) in all automatic modes once the minimum shutter speed (av mode)- 1/60, or minimum aperture (tv mode) 1.6-2.4 , or both (auto, green box) are achieved.

the 1/30 sec speed is very similar to the normal frame mode in look, although their is more blurring of movement, and sometimes on the xl1s it appears to cause an overall loss of sharpness, although I haven't noticed this on the gl2.

Have you taken that camera back yet?

Barry

Heidi Willoughby
August 21st, 2002, 08:35 PM
Thanks, Barry.

That helps! One thing that's odd (or maybe not), when I spoke to one of the Sr. Techs at Canon, they swore to me that you only got Gain in manual.

I'm taking the camera back tomorrow. I wanted to try Linc's info. and re-try your Custom Preset suggestions first.

I'll keep everyone posted.

-Heidi

Barry Goyette
August 21st, 2002, 08:53 PM
My guess is that the tech at canon was referring to your inability to "access" the gain in the auto modes, which would be correct...trust me, walk into a darkened room with the camera on auto, and you'll see that gain kick up enough to see the grain on the lcd...anyway, good luck tomorrow.

Barry

Casey Visco
August 22nd, 2002, 07:08 AM
barry is right, in fact there is usually a chart in the manual that tells you what options are present automatically or available to you in the various shooting modes. (at least there is one in the GL1 manual). and gain is omnipresent in all modes, even if you can only "gain" control of it in manual mode.

Barry Goyette
August 22nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
My guess is that the tech at canon was referring to your inability to "access" the gain in the auto modes, which would be correct...trust me, walk into a darkened room with the camera on auto, and you'll see that gain kick up enough to see the grain on the lcd...anyway, good luck tomorrow.

Barry

Heidi Willoughby
August 22nd, 2002, 06:17 PM
Ok, so I went back to the store with the GL2. Described the problems I was having....

The sales guy (head of the video dept.) said something like "Well, you are just being too picky. I don't believe there is a problem. You can either take this one [the one I bought] or get your money back. If the problems weren't so subjective that would be different." He also said something about it being impossible for the factory to make a calibration error, because it's done by computer. He didn't look at the camera.

So, I'm in a quandry. I'm inclined to just go buy another GL2 somewhere else, but I do use this store a lot (for still photo equipment and video) and it is the most "pro" place in town and the sales guys and customers are the most knowledgable. So I hate to "burn my bridges." (Even though, the sales guy IS acting like a jerk.)

Still. I don't want to end up with a messed up camera...

-Heidi

Keith Luken
August 22nd, 2002, 07:42 PM
I don't know why you are using a store that is not willing to accomidate you, especially if you use them a lot. Get your money back and call either Zotz Digital or www.BestPriceAudioVideo.com, both have it for $2300 and both only charge actual shipping, not inflated.

Heidi Willoughby
August 22nd, 2002, 08:01 PM
These aren't "gray market" cameras (cameras without a US warranty) are they?

-Heidi

Ken Tanaka
August 22nd, 2002, 08:12 PM
Heidi,
I agree with Keith that it sounds like you are patronizing a business operated by bone-heads...and you are probably paying a 10-20% premium to do so. Screw 'em. Get your money back and call one of our site's sponsors such as Zotz or ZGC. I just bought a GL-2 from ZGC myself. I've purchased my XL1s from them, too. Come to think of it, I purchased an XL1 from Zotz quite a while back (before they were sponsors here). Both of these operations are top-notch and really give a damn about providing top-notch products and service at good prices.

One additional note to consider. Canon's first production run record is less than perfect. It's entirely possible that the current GL-2 has some production bugs in it. In fact, I may have detected one in my GL-2. But these problems generally get cleared-up pretty quickly.

Casey Visco
August 22nd, 2002, 08:50 PM
Heidi, I was wondering what the shop was that you were having trouble with? I'd like to avoid that one if possible!

Heidi Willoughby
August 22nd, 2002, 08:58 PM
Casey,

I actually bet you know the place... it's Newtonville Camera. Have you done business there?

Keith and Ken, thanks for the really helpful feedback. Ken, I'm just wondering, is the bug you think you may have, similar to mine?

This is really making me think that I should return this GL2, wait a few months, and then buy another one online.

-Heidi

Ken Tanaka
August 22nd, 2002, 09:11 PM
Heidi,
No, my "bug" is a different species but the same taxonomic order. I'm reluctant to elaborate for fear of the 'Net effect: 'Fred' reads this post and tells 'Harry' and so on until it becomes reported as a major flaw of the GL-2 on some big board by some lazy kid who didn't check his facts. When all it was was one slightly defective unit.

Joshua Wachs
August 22nd, 2002, 10:21 PM
Zots and BestPrice are both Canon authorized dealers.

Hopefully we'll hook up tomorrow for a comparison.

Chris Hurd
August 22nd, 2002, 10:52 PM
<< These aren't "gray market" cameras (cameras without a US warranty) are they? >>

Absolutely NOT. Zotz Digital, ZGC, all of my site sponsors are genuine, died-in-the-wool authorized Canon USA dealers. In fact, Brian at Zotz usually goes out of his way to lecture on the pitfalls of buying from gray market dealers. Hope this helps,

John VVV
August 22nd, 2002, 10:55 PM
Ken, in the spirit of sharing useful information (what the forum is for), I for one would be interested in what "bug" you have found with the GL-2. The heck with what "Fred" thinks.

The thread about Heidi's camera has been going on for weeks across more than just this board so your information may confirm that there are some problems with the first run of cameras.

Posting the type of bug may also help the rest of us new GL-2 owners find the problem a bit quicker if it exists in our cams. If you are uncomfortable about sharing your findings on the forum you could always email the few of us the have new GL-2s.

The cat may already be out of the bag, a "mystery" glitch is worse than a known glitch any day of the week. If we are all looking for a undocumented problem, some of us will find what seem to be problems that aren't. I'm looking at my camera suspiciously now thinking about trying each and every feature, function, mode and operational nuance over and over again until I go into an obssesive frenzy.... help .

Regards, John.

Ken Tanaka
August 22nd, 2002, 11:26 PM
OK, in the "spirit of sharing" here 'tis. But, although the bug is very real, I want to emphasize that this is likely an isolated situation.

After capturing and reviewing the first hour of footage I shot with my GL-2 at an air show last weekend I noticed vignetting occurring on some of the shots. That is, varying amounts of the corners and edges of the frame would darken on some shots. Normally I would imagine that the lens hood was mismounted or something else was encroaching into the frame. Not so. To abbreviate the story of my investigation, I've not been able to determine a pattern that repeatedly invokes this phenomenon. Interestingly, however, when it does appear it tends to be most pronounced when the lens is zoomed out, not on wide shots. It also tends to be more common and pronounced when the ND filter is engaged, although it's not limited to the ND's engagement.

Frustratingly, neither the viewfinder nor the lcd show enough of the frame to tip you off to the problem while you're shooting. It's only after capturing or while using a professional monitor that you can see the bug.

So there it is. I'll likely be exchanging the camera tomorrow. If the replacement shows the same problem -then- we can make a bruhaha over it. Meanwhile, check your shots for this bug.

Jeff Donald
August 23rd, 2002, 01:35 AM
Optical problems like this are actually fairly common. After all these, can not be computer adjusted. Almost all zooms for camcorders are assembled as a complete unit, without the ability to make adjustments other than back focus (a factory adjustment). If the lens assembly is inserted improperly or is damaged in shipment the lenses can be misaligned. Aligning a lens assembly is a fairly simple procedure using focusing charts and scopes. The other possibility is with the filter wheel that moves the ND filter. It may be misaligned so that the frame appears in some shots. Again, a simple realignment problem.

I don't want to trivialize your problem, Ken, just point out the simple way these type of problems occur and their simple remedy. I would compare your problem to buying a new car with the front end not properly aligned (gee, I think people, not computers, align front ends). It's not common, but it does happen. Probably missed at the factory or happened during shipping. But its an easy fix.

Jeff

Linc Kesler
August 23rd, 2002, 09:02 AM
This post goes back to Heidi's question about viewing camera settings while in one of the auto modes. In a previous post I noted that it was possible to switch to manual and see what the auto setting was, but that if you changed a manual setting, that setting was retained when you switched back to manual the next time, so the tracking function was lost. Heidi asked if going from standby to lock reset the manual settings so they would track again. The answer is no, at least not for a while: manual settings are retained on lock. Switching to OFF will reset the manual settings so that they will track the auto ones, but that is a pain.

There is, however, another answer. If you switch to either Tv or Av mode and change the base setting there (either shutter speed or f stop), it resets the manual settings, even if your change is just for a second. So all you have to do is change one of these, and the manual mode will track the auto settings again. This is pretty handy, given that the kind of inquisitive person who would want to know is probably using Tv or Av for their auto needs anyway. I agree with Heidi that having instant access to the info would be nice, but having the ability to check what's happening is pretty functional, and after doing it a few times, you can pretty well guess what's going on in a given situation. Oh yeah, switching to auto does not reset the manual setting, since no user-initiated change can be made.

For what it's worth, Heidi, my background is also in still photography, and I like manual (my main cameras are a couple of old F1s and a Rolliflex, though sometimes I steal my daughter's OM4 -- now there's a camera that lets you know!). Of course, the trick is always to not let the desire for technical control stand in the way of a good shot.

Linc Kesler

John VVV
August 23rd, 2002, 01:32 PM
Ken, Thanks for posting the information... now I can get some sleep :-)

So far my camera seems to be rock solid and a joy to use. Thanks to all of the forum member's input the camera seems to be infinitely adjustable and able to get the look I need.

I've added a mini-rover to the GL-2 from another cam and that makes a great package to hang on to. Just the right weight to hand hold. The mini-rover also has large holes in the lower bracket, just perfect to poke my finger thru to hit the custom pre-set buttons.

Regards, John.

Casey Visco
August 23rd, 2002, 09:34 PM
heidi, thanks for the heads up, i've heard of the place, but i havent been in there yet.

Heidi Willoughby
August 25th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone,

OK, so after getting side-tracked by other things (life), I've decided to actually KEEP my current GL2. Here's my plan... Turns out, one of you nice people on this discussion thread lives near me and we are going to compare our cameras in the next week or two (after his vacation).

Plus, in a few months, I'm going to go to another store and test my GL2 against another GL2 (from a different "batch").

After both tests, if my GL2 is still different color-wise, it'll still be under warranty and I'll contact Canon.

The reason I decided on this is the following:

1. Ultimately, I generally like the GL2 better then VX2000 AND, because you all have been so INCREDIBLY helpful in helping me understand it and how it works, I almost feel "commited" to it. Not talked into it, but really "into" the GL2.

Plus, before this I did own a A1 Digital (Hi 8) and always loved it. And I own a Canon SLR and like it too. So I guess I'm a Canon-ite at heart.

2. For the past three weeks (or more?), I've been playing with this camera practically non-stop, shooting in a ton of different lighting and otherwise siutations, and tweaking it as I go.

Even if it is messed up a bit colorwise, I now know how to compensate a little better.

And, will be making sure it's OK by doing comparisons in the coming months.

On top of this... 3. Finally, I am really getting to KNOW THIS camera. There's no gaurantees that if I return this one and buy another one, it won't have some other oddity that it may take me a some time to find (ala John VVV), and make me crazy (crazier) in the process.

So, please don't think I'm a wimp. I probably should return the camera -- especially because of the jerk who sold it to me, and the fact that I can save a couple hundred bucks.

But, rest assured, from now on I will use this site's sponsors for other purchases.

Thank you all again for all your invaluable help. You've been patient and thoughtful -- and that makes a huge difference!

I'll continue to watch this site and throw in my two cents where appropriate (or, more likely, ask a few more questions).

Very, very best,

-Heidi

PS. Linc, now that I've decided on the GL2, I'm going to try your latest comments, and will be in touch online...

Ken Tanaka
August 25th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Heidi,
Well, certainly it's your camera and we must all respect your decision to rely on warranty service for future remedy, rather than a simple, quick return. But, at least to me, you're reasoning is bewildering.

Good luck!

Heidi Willoughby
August 25th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Why?

-Heidi

Steve McDonald
August 25th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Heidi, your education is about to expand. The hassles and long waits in getting a Canon camcorder repaired, can be astounding. I had one good experience with a Canon repair center and one other, where I had to send it in to authorized repair shops four times, over a 5-month period, before anyone even bothered to attempt to fix a glaringly obvious malfunction. I hope your luck runs towards my first outcome. I hope you buy an extended warranty. I would have been lost without mine when I had that bad series of failed repair attempts.

Ken Tanaka
August 25th, 2002, 10:33 PM
(Forgive my frankness. It's just the way I am. Absolutely no rudeness intended and I hope none is taken.)

Why?

Because you're piddling around "testing" a brand new camera that is either (a) defective or (b) non-defective but unpleasing to your eyes instead of shooting what you want to shoot with a camera that you enjoy using. Folks here have been -extraordinarily- helpful to you (as evidenced by the length of your threads). But I suspect that this has only made you more indecisive and unsure of yourself than you were when you embarked on your inquiries.

Heidi, you've nothing to lose, and everything to gain, in exchanging the camera for a new one -now-. At least if the second unit shows the same phenomenon you will know that you must either adapt to the camera's characteristics or return it for another brand and model. But continuing to examine your original unit is irrational and illogical. And why bother waiting two weeks to compare your GL-2 to someone elses?! In two weeks you could have a replacement and validate its qualities for yourself.

Relying on warranty service for remedy if you eventually decide that the camera is defective (in, what, a year?) is also muddy and overly-optimistic reasoning. AFTER ALL, You may not be able to conveniently do without the camera for 2-4 wks. while Canon effects repairs.

So, by deciding not to simply exchange the camera for another unit you're both severely limiting the amount of hard information you have concerning its true design characteristics and potentially causing yourself more inconvenience later when you send the camera for "repair" under warranty service.

Remember a long, long time ago when I said that -your- eyes are the judge? My camera's color seemed very neutral compared to my other cameras. Other people are reporting the same. So either your camera is defective or your eyes' photoreceptors are defective. The camera is the easier to fix.

That's why.

Chris Hurd
August 26th, 2002, 01:17 AM
For Steve McDonald, your frustration with Canon factory service is noted, but be advised that Sony's track record in this regard is just as poor, if not worse. It's something I hear about consistently from Sony owners.

Heidi, I must agree with Ken, now is the perfect time to echange your GL2 for another to determine if it's not operating properly.

Heidi Willoughby
August 26th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Hi,

I *know* my email sounded strange, and I might have responded the same way as you...

The thing is, I am wondering if there IS a problem with my camera.

Two other people have been looking at the pictures with me (an editor and graphic designer). And I did ultmately tweak my monitor (which was adjusted to be a bit cool). While I do think the GL2 picture is cool, they think it's OK after white balancing (but not out of the box...). Maybe this means "neutral."

My eyes are really good, but do also trust their opinion. When my editor friend (for network TV) says that she'd buy the Canon over the Sony if she were doing it again (she has the VX2000), it makes me think that either I'm being TOO picky or I'm just wrong.

If I'm this picky (which may be the case), then I'm worried about going from "out of the frying pan into the fire" with another GL2.

I will buy the extended warranty.

-Heidi

Ken Tanaka
August 26th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Heidi,

I can't help noting that you've further illustrated my point. "Two other people have...", "My editor friend..."

Your satisfaction is not a matter of committee concensus, girl. It's YOUR camera not theirs!

Craig Peer
August 26th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Steve, sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Canons repair service. I have had nothing but good and fast service. They even replaced a ccd on an Elura for the cleaning / inspection fee that was out of warranty due to dead pixels!

Heidi Willoughby
August 26th, 2002, 01:01 PM
But what's the chance that if I return this camera (and get another GL2) I won't have other/different problems? This is my fear...

Has anyone else ever gotten a "lemon?" I never have, but just checking ... Maybe it's common.

-Heidi

Peter Butler
August 26th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Heidi my XM2(GL2) looks cool against the VX2000 as well. I don't think it a defect it's just the way the camera is. I've also been doing loads of test and when comparing the colour to what my eyes see I can honestly say that the XM2 is pretty close, not spot on but very close. The only area I'd say it struggles with is with orange and yellow it doesn't quite get them right. But if you set it up against the VX2000 and literarily switch between the two the XM2 does look a lot cooler. As for the gain problems you've had I haven't had these problems so maybe your unit is broken.
Well I hope you settle the problems.

peter B

Jeff Donald
August 26th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Heidi,

If your camera has a mfg. defect why wouldn't you want it fixed? If I bought a new car and it only got 2 miles per gallon, I would want it fixed. Just because your camera needs a minor adjustment doesn't make it a lemon. Cameras that go in for the same adjustment 5 or 6 times are lemons. Send the camera into Canon and have them adjust it. That way you don't have to risk getting another GL2, but with different problems. Just get the one you know and love adjusted. I also urge you to do it soon. Learning to trick your camera to get something close to what you want is not an ideal learning situation. It's like learning to drive a car and it's got right hand drive. Then having to take your driving test in a car with left hand drive. Everything is backwards, the things you thought you knew are different.

Jeff

Heidi Willoughby
August 26th, 2002, 01:44 PM
That's a very good idea.

Should I just send/bring it in and say I want them to check the "color" adjustments?

-Heidi

Jeff Donald
August 26th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Yup, just send it in. They will want a photo copy of your sales receipt and warranty card. That proves it is not a grey market camera. I would also include a sample tape stopped at a section that best illustrates your color problem. You might also includea brief note about the problem and your expectations for the repair. Canon has a New Jersey repair facility and I would send it directly to them, attention the service manager.

Jeff

Ken Tanaka
August 26th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Jeff,
Why should she endure the absurd hassle to repair a -brand new camera-?! If you "...bought a car that got 2 miles per gallon" you wouldn't repair it, you'd take it back and demand a new one.

Heidi:
"But what's the chance that if I return this camera (and get another GL2) I won't have other/different problems? This is my fear..."

If the source of your dissatisfaction is intrinsic to the design, then you will discover the truth. "Fearing" getting a camera with another problem? Uh, doesn't that strike you as just a bit silly? Simple solution: take/send it back.

Good luck, again, Heidi. I've said all I can constructively say on the subject. I hope you find a satisfactory video camera solution before you lose enthusiasm for whatever you were originally going to shoot.

Heidi Willoughby
August 26th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Peter:

Thank you very much.

I'm also wondering, how do things look in the viewfinder to you compared to the actual shot? My viewfinder appears warmer than the "real thing" and the actual shot on tape.

BTW, I agree about the yellow and orange, that's where I'm having trouble too! "Out of the box" (no white balance) the picture appears to almost have a blue/grey cast to me.

Jeff:

Thank you for your quick answer. I feel like your idea may be a good solution, since this way, a real person will look at the camera, I won't just be buying another random on off the shelf.

Your idea of including a tape is a good one, too.

Any idea of what kind of wait time to expect?

Hopefully yours,

-H

Jeff Donald
August 26th, 2002, 04:41 PM
I would think 2 to 3 weeks depending on how you ship it and weekends and all. In your letter give them day and evening phone numbers and you might even want to provide them with a link to the GL2 threads here. It might provide them with a little incentive. As always, keep us posted.

Jeff

Steve McDonald
August 26th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Actually, the one time I sent a camcorder to a Canon-operated repair center, they did good work and even replaced an entire lens without any charge or argument about how it got damaged. But, when I sent another unit off to two different Canon-authorized, but independent repair shops, the service was non-existent, the first 3 of 4 times I had to ship it out of town to them.

The camera section was completely dead, but one shop had it twice and sent it back unfixed, pronouncing that it worked perfectly. The second shop did the same the first time and only after I had an intense phone conversation with the repairman, did I get him to notice that although the VTR worked fine, the camera was dead. He then replaced about 80 capacitors and other parts and it worked again. This took 5 months and I spent $150. on shipping and insurance. The shops collected money from the extended warranty company, for each of the 4 times. Imagine how angry and frustrated anyone would be, if they had to pay for all this themselves, as well as losing the use of their main camera that long.

The extended warranty I now have on an ailing Sony camcorder is accepted by a local repair shop and I will be able to breathe down their necks, if they don't get it fixed just right.

I'd recommend that any purchase of an extended warranty be preceded by a survey of local repair shops. Make sure that they will honor it and take responsibility for either fixing equipment themselves or shipping it to a manufacturer's service center at no expense to you.

Peter Butler
August 27th, 2002, 03:52 AM
Yeah Heidi I've noticed that as well, the viewfinder is a lot richer in colour, reds are very rich. You get a lot truer picture from the flip out screen. Actually can you adjust the viewfinder, I think you can adjust the brightness but what about colour? I'd check the instuctions but I'm at work at the moment.

Peter B