View Full Version : Studio 1 XLR-BP Pro or XLR-BP? Mic Question as well.

November 23rd, 2004, 01:06 AM
Hello all,

I'm stuck between the Pro and Basic versions. The basic seems to have what I need for weddings. I want to run a shotgun mic and a wireless lav to my GL2 for weddings. I plan on clipping the Pro or Basic to the tripod with the necessary wires running to and from the camera as necessary, and that's about it. What are the pro's and con's for both? Would the Pro model be overkill for what I need it for? I did a search for similar topics but could only find info for the Pro, so any experienced Basic users please speak up! The only differences I can see according to the Studio 1 page are the following:

--Mic/Line Level Selection - Each input has a mic/line level switch giving you the choice of mic level input or line level input from an audio mixing board. (Don't think I'll ever need this for what I'm using it for-- correct me if I'm wrong).

--Ground Lift Switch - helps eliminate ground loop hum in the audio._ A ground lift switch allows you to break the ground connection between two devices, thus eliminating common ground loop problems._ This is critical when connecting to various audio equipment._ Note: The ground lift switch is not a ground selection switch, which simply changes the ground path to the camera, thus keeping the ground loop problem present._ (What does this mean? Do I have to worry about this?)

Any feedback and brainstorming on this matter would be appreciated:)

Likewise, do any of you think this mic would work well as a camera mounted microphone to simply pick up ambient noise (organs, any readers on a PA, etc?). I heavily rely on the wireless mic for the important audio from the bride and groom:)

http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--66208/index.html

Don Palomaki
November 23rd, 2004, 05:25 AM
The mic you referenced is probably not a good choice for wedding work. Output is relatively low and it is designed for use near loud instruments, not to pick up people speaking at some distance fromthe mic. However, for ambient it would probably be OK, even if the level is a bit low.

Consider something like the AT897 for non-camera use. Sadly, there are no good, cheap shotgun mics. Some people like the Sennheriser MKE300, which is a bit lower cost, but not as good.

As to the XLR adapters, only you know what you real requirements are, but in my experience if the price difference is minor, go for the more capable unit. You neve know when it will come in handy, and the ability to use both line and mic level sources is often handy.