View Full Version : Best DV Firewire Cardbus/PCMCIA card for my GL2 to laptop?

klepdogg
September 5th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Hey folks,

I just picked up a GL2 (love it) and a new fancy smanshy super fast laptop. I'm looking for the best PCMCIA/Cardbus DV firewire card out there to transfer GL2 video to my lapdogg and toy around w/ it w/ Premiere. I heard Pyro makes a decent one, but I'm up for more suggestions.

thanks

chris

Keith Luken
September 5th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Can't answer that question, but you better have one hell of a hard drive, DV is like 13GB per hour of video.

Michael Wisniewski
September 5th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Hi,

If that's really a fancy new laptop, you should see if you can get one with the 1394 port built-in! That's standard on most of them nowadays.

I'm using the 1394 PC Card made by Maxtor on my 6 year old laptop - Works great.

The other one I considered at CompUSA was the Adaptec card. The Adaptec is a nicer design, but fills up all your PCMCIA ports with the firewire ports that are built-in. So you can't use any other PC cards if you use the Adaptec. But it keeps your laptop compact and less "wirey".

I have a modem PC card so I chose the Maxtor because it doesn't take up all the slots, instead it has a dongle with 2 ports attached by a wire. The downside is if I ever lose that wire/dongle, I'm screwed.

George Gerez
September 6th, 2002, 08:12 PM
I picked up a dual firewire PCMCIA from Ebay.. for $20 came with two cables and the card.. installed it under Windows XP and works flawless.. So now I have my Dell 8000 with one built in firewire port. and my new PCMCIA with 2 more ports for a total of three.. One goes to me cam.. the other one to the External hard drive.. and capture with no gliches..

the PCMCIA card is made by IBM..

klepdogg
September 6th, 2002, 10:34 PM
sounds like almost anything will do. thanks for the feedback guys