View Full Version : When to use Tv mode?

Kyle Field
January 15th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Obviouse newbie question, but what is the advantage of using Tv mode over manual or auto?

Greg Boston
January 15th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Kyle,

Tv and Av can be thought of as 'semi-auto' modes. You pick one constant to hold steady while the camera varies the otther to maintain optimal exposure. I use Tv when I am taping sports and need to maintain shutter speed. However, if I swing the camera to follow the action, the lighting can change drastically. Tv will let the camera run the iris for you while you select a desired shutter speed. On the other hand, you might want to maintain a wide aperture to minimize depth of field for artistic reasons. You could then let the camera choose shutter speed to provide optimal exposure while you select desired iris opening (Av mode). Many still cameras have these same two modes.

Good luck and enjoy your camera!

=gb=

Ted Kazear
April 23rd, 2005, 06:40 PM
Just to add (old post, very helpful). When searching in the future this can be a one stop search thread, can you explain just as plainly as you did about tv and av modes can you describe, manual mode.

after selecting manual mode

push EXP button to scroll through three items, looking in my camera I see in the top left corner.

S1/60
F1.8
18db

Dose this refer to (in order) the shutter speed, iris, and gain.

Graham Bernard
April 24th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Yes - indeed.