View Full Version : Gamma Curves - PDW-F800

Steve Shaw
September 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I've just discovered that the new Sony PDW-F800 XDcam is the first of the XDcam range to allow for CineAlta User Gamma Curves - which enables the Light Illusion pre-set Gamma Curves to be used.

I've been asked for curves for XDcam cameras a lot, so this is rather good news, although it would be nice if the full XDcam range could use curves. Got to start somewhere I guess...

The LI Gamma Curves have become something of a standard in f800/f23/f35/HDC-1000/1500 cameras, so hopefully they will be of use for the PDW-F800.

For information on the Light Illusion curves please see:
Light Illusion - CVP Gamma Curves (http://www.lightillusion.com/sonycurves.htm)

I obviously have a vested interest in these curves, but 'can I load your curves into my XDcam' is probably the most common question I get asked, so hopefully this info will be of interest to some of you..

If anyone has questions I'm always happy to answer as best as I can.

Steve

Steve Shaw
Light Illusion
steve@lightillusion.com
+44 7765 400 908
Light Illusion - Digital Film, Digital Intermediate, Digital Cinematography (http://www.lightillusion.com)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Art & Science of Digital Imaging
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Greg Boston
September 13th, 2009, 12:43 AM
This is true about user gamma curves. However, it should be noted that you can't create them in the camera. They have to be created using software on a PC, transferred to a Memory Stick, then loaded to camera by inserting said Memory Stick.

-gb-

Steve Shaw
September 25th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Hi Greg,

Yep, that's true - but the benefits of a good gamma curve are well worth the installation process, and the results really do move the camera into a different league with respect to the image captured.

Some curves are ideal for direct image use, while others require post-production to get the most from them.

NFL Films have recently moved over to digital capture from film (hybrid at the moment), and the results they are getting with the gamma curves have been very impressive.

Steve

Greg Boston
September 25th, 2009, 08:53 AM
NFL Films have recently moved over to digital capture from film (hybrid at the moment), and the results they are getting with the gamma curves have been very impressive.

Thought I would never live long enough to see that! They have always kind of stuck out on the sidelines, being the only film cameras in a sea of video cameras.

And like you said, the process of moving the curves to the camera is fairly painless for the benefit you get out of it.

-gb-

P.S. This is one of about 5 unique features that the 800 has that the 700 doesn't (and it can't be added via option).

Tim Bradley
September 26th, 2009, 10:50 PM
This is one of about 5 unique features that the 800 has that the 700 doesn't (and it can't be added via option).

Hi Greg, can you tell me what the other four or so unique features the 800 will have that the 700 never can have?

Thanks !!

Cheers, Tim

Alister Chapman
September 27th, 2009, 02:28 AM
The F800's unique features are focus assist, image invert (for 35mm adapters), Viewfinder markers on the HDSDi output, over crank and user gamma curves.

It also has SD and 24P as standard which are available as options on the 700.

Doug Jensen
September 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM
The F800 also has an optical CC filter wheel in addition to the ND filter wheel.
On the 700, CC is electronic.

Alister Chapman
September 28th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Doh! New there was another but couldn't remember what it was. Thanks Doug.

Steve Shaw
October 14th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Marc Windon - DoP, Australia (www.marcwindon.com) has been one of the first PWD-f800 users to work with the LI Gamma Curves. You might be interested in his initial response:

"Have only been running tests at this stage, but have a 3 day shoot this week. The dynamic range is incredible!"

Steve

Greg Boston
October 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Another thing about the 800 vs. the 700 is that the detail level is set by factory default to be a bit softer on the 800. The 700 can be set up to match or vice versa, but they are not set up to produce identical detail levels out of the box.

-gb-

Thierry Humeau
October 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Interesting, I was not aware of this but I definitely noticed this on the F800 when comparing to the 700. I used to tune the 700 detail down to -15 or -20 but I am keeping the F800 at 0. On the 700, Sony recommended to tune the detail down to -20 to match a stock F900.

Thierry.

Paul Cronin
March 26th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Steve I just sent you an email on custom Gamma Curves for the F800.

Uli Mors
March 29th, 2010, 03:51 AM
When you compare some pic parameters like detail, the menu can produce an internal offset (via "STORE PRESET" in the file menus)

If you want 100% compare numbers, set the cam to "absolute values" for a while or get an orientation on the bar in the upper line - it shows the absolute position (very rough...) of the selected parameter - even if its offset.

The idea of the Preset is to pre-set some settings and offer "0" balanced (offset) values to the camera user. therefore its difficult to compare different 700s or 800s to each other without knowing the ABSOLUTE , not relative values...

A try? Set detail on -20 in your 700, then STORE PRESET, now the value is "0" , but the setting is there.

uli