View Full Version : Focus Issue

Ryan Calloway
February 20th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Hello All,

Seeking help or info about a focusing issue with the GL2. I am video taping church services and I have noticed that my GL2 has a problem keeping items on the outside edge of a shot in focus. On a few select shots when I'm on a medium to close-up shot the focus waivers a little as well.

I do not have a wide angle lens. Should I get one to resolve this problem? I have also considered using manual focus, but trying to avoid that if possible but if that what it takes then thats what I will do. Any help or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken Tanaka
February 20th, 2005, 10:35 PM
As long as you use auto-focus on any camera you will have very little control over the camera's moment-to-moment focus decisions. Additionally, the frame's edges are not the primary targets for auto-focus.

To get good footage with solid focus you will have to take the time to become comfortable with using manual focus. I think that many, maybe most, GL2 shooters will actually tend to use the best of both auto and manual modes. That is, they will set the lens to manual focus but will occasionally momentarily toggle to auto-focus to adjust for scene changes. As the GL2 is not the easiest camera to manually focus this may be the best alternative.

Ryan Calloway
February 20th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks Ken,

I will give this a try. I am training our church youth on how to operate cameras and was hoping to delay the manual focus part. But I guess they will get the training sooner than I had planned. I will also try your recommendation of switching between manual and auto focus.

Thanks a million!!

Graham Bernard
February 21st, 2005, 12:51 AM
Very well put Ken! . . . I'd like to add to what you said, "That is, they will set the lens to manual focus but will occasionally momentarily toggle to auto-focus to adjust for scene changes. " . . . in that I Toggle to Auto and once SET then LOCK ON with Manaul by pushing the Manual Focus button. I mentally use this procedure a bit like Locking-on WB. I have a sense now that the "buttons" are for locking on: WB; Focus & ND. Works for me. However, tele with wide-angle can give me "dark" exposure and focussing with the Auto Lock on is a bit tricky! Be warned.

Grazie