View Full Version : Does anyone shoot funeral videos for a living?

Young Lee
February 24th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I'm just wondering because I think funeral is just as important as wedding.

Keith Loh
February 24th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Paging Frank Granovski...

Frank Granovski
February 25th, 2005, 02:42 AM
I shoot a lot of funerals. I posted a little something about technique quite some time ago somewhere on dvinfo. They're a lot easier to shoot than weddings---funerals are slow, unlike weddings, and simple. I have one coming up early next week. People are always dying. :-((

Stephen M. Crawford
February 25th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Frank, how do you advertise it? And don't you find it difficult touting for business from the recently bereaved?

Frank Granovski
February 25th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I don't advertise. I go through a Vancouver funeral home. They phone me. They saw me taping my dad's funeral several years back and spoke to me at that time if I would do it for them. So it's steady part-time work. Of course, the funeral home gets a cut....And don't you find it difficult touting for business....If you look in Vancouver's Yellow Pages (or Super Pages now), video people have this sevice listed. Also, videographers advertise this service in the ethnic newspapers. So it isn't difficult or strange for someone to advertise this service. Back in Winnipeg, it's popular as well---I'm sure in most parts of Canada. My wife's cousin also shoots funerals, among other things---both stills and video.

Young Lee
February 26th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Thanks Frank, maybe I should start my own funeral videography business. :) (making a "Six Feet Under" style video would be great.)

Frank Granovski
February 26th, 2005, 02:38 AM
It makes money but not as much as weddings. Funerals are usually short, though, and consisting of either just the service, or the service and burial, and sometimes a dinner after all is finished.

Linda Walker
February 26th, 2005, 08:58 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : It makes money but not as much as weddings. Funerals are usually short, though, and consisting of either just the service, or the service and burial, and sometimes a dinner after all is finished. -->>>

Can I ask what percentage the funeral home gets? I've seen where videographers will produce a photo montage and show that at the wake, but I've never heard of a videographer actually video taping the funeral itself.

You wouldn't happen to have a demo that you could share??

Thanks.

Kevin Kimmell
February 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Kind of on topic...

I filmed one funeral and it wasn't really for hire but explaining the circumstances might help understand why some people would want it filmed...

A close friend of mine passed away of a rare vascular disease. She was 25 years old and had a 2 year old daughter. This little girl will grow up not knowing and probably not remembering her mother.

Several people chose to speak about my friend at the service service to recount how she had touched them and changed their lives. My friends all agreed that these were the types of things that her daughter would want to know about when she was old enough.

Before this situation hit me personally I couldn't have imagined a reason for filming a funeral but now I imagine there are all sorts of reasons that people might have for wanting it.

-Kevin

Linda Walker
February 26th, 2005, 09:41 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Kimmell : Kind of on topic...

I filmed one funeral and it wasn't really for hire but explaining the circumstances might help understand why some people would want it filmed...

A close friend of mine passed away of a rare vascular disease. She was 25 years old and had a 2 year old daughter. This little girl will grow up not knowing and probably not remembering her mother.

Several people chose to speak about my friend at the service service to recount how she had touched them and changed their lives. My friends all agreed that these were the types of things that her daughter would want to know about when she was old enough.

Before this situation hit me personally I couldn't have imagined a reason for filming a funeral but now I imagine there are all sorts of reasons that people might have for wanting it.

-Kevin -->>>

Thank you for sharing Kevin. Yes, I can now see where someone would want to have a funeral video taped.

Mark Williams
February 26th, 2005, 10:42 AM
There was a funeral post here a while back called "Fallen Marine" or something like that. It was very creatively filmed. After giving this some thought you have a lot of creative options here such as using old photos, cutting in vacation tapes ect. I could be much more than just filming the ceremony.

Regards,

Mark

Linda Walker
February 26th, 2005, 03:42 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Williams : There was a funeral post here a while back called "Fallen Marine" or something like that. It was very creatively filmed. After giving this some thought you have a lot of creative options here such as using old photos, cutting in vacation tapes ect. I could be much more than just filming the ceremony.

Regards,

Mark -->>>

Never thought about putting in vacation footage. You're right, "it could be much more".

Thanks for sharing.

Darko Flajpan
February 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I've done funnerals two times for some relatives. they wanted video to send it to relatives in Australia which were unable to come at funneral. I started with photos, taped the ceremony and ended with grave in flowers - 20 minutes of final material. Anyway, not too much pleasant video to work on. IMHO i think funneral video should be simple as possible, vithout any HFX or such transitions, just few dissolves, and that's it.

Young Lee
February 27th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Darko, did you charge them? :)

I'm a college student and thinking of starting my own wedding videography business after I graduate. And since I'm planning on attending mortuary college starting Fall 2005 and becoming an licensed funeral director/embalmer, I'm also interested in making high-quality funeral videos.

After seeing several wedding videos posted on this board, I think I can do it too, even w/ my MX5000. ;)

Young Lee
February 27th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Please don't get offended by my last comment. :) Of course, I'm going to buy better camcorders when I save up enough money.

Darko Flajpan
February 27th, 2005, 04:33 PM
No, i didn't charge them, it was just new expirience...
My advice is, again, to keep it decent. That means variety of nice still shots, don't dramatize with camera movements. Use tripod if possible. Dont do too much closeups, since people dont like to see themselves crying... I think MX5000 is very good camera to start. Good luck!

Frank Granovski
February 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Can I ask what percentage the funeral home gets? I've seen where videographers will produce a photo montage and show that at the wake, but I've never heard of a videographer actually video taping the funeral itself. You wouldn't happen to have a demo that you could share??The home gets 1/2 or less, depending on what is arranged (just the service, service and burial, etc). Funeral videos are common in Canada and in many other parts of the world. I don't know what's common in the USA---and I assume it's different in different parts. How can I share a funeral video? You'd have to drop by, but then you might end up crying or getting morbid'd-out. I keep all the miniDV tapes with footage just in case "they" what another VHS tape copy; NTSC or PAL.

Low light is always a problem. I can get by with my 2 old JVC DVL9500Us. A VX2100 would be much better---or an XL1s. I don't think that an MX5000 would cut it. It requires too much light. I would look for an older model miniDV cam such as a Optura 100MC or a PV-DV852 (MX8, MX1000 in Japan).

Young Lee
February 27th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the input.

Frank, how much do you usually charge for each funeral video?

I wouldn't worry too much about low-light problems because I now have a noise reduction software, and most funeral homes happen to be well lit. But I'm going to purchase a new cam in two years from now. (the FX1 or the DVCPRO-HD cam from Panasonic)

Bob Costa
February 27th, 2005, 09:36 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : How can I share a funeral video? You'd have to drop by, but then you might end up crying or getting morbid'd-out. -->>>

Can you post one on the web? Living down here in Florida (avg age 57 in my town), weddings are not much of a business, but we have plenty of funerals. I would love to see one to get ideas on how it is done.

If you don't have web capabilities, I would post it for you (WMV?) for a couple of weeks if you like. I have some spare bandwidth right now.

Frank Granovski
February 28th, 2005, 03:47 AM
John, I can't post one on the web.Frank, how much do you usually charge for each funeral video?My cut is usually $220. That's for the 1/2 hour service (or thereabouts) and the burial (about 15 to 25 minutes).

I start shooting before the sevice starts. I try to get in about 5 to 10 minutes---of the casket, body, flowers, etc etc. There's no need to dub audio because there's always elevator type music being piped in.

Of course you can charge more. For me it's just steady part-time work which help pay the bills.

Bob Costa
February 28th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Frank, So you just do a straight dub to VHS and you are done? No editing, no DVD, no titles, no music added?

Frank Granovski
February 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
That's right. I don't even add titles or anything, but I do make top and spine labels for the VHS tape and put it in a clear cover case. I buy these cases about 50 at a time and they cost me about $0.87 each. Plus all the VHS decks I get for free. I just found 2 more very good ones last week. People keep putting them in the lanes with little signs on them saying, "Works." People keep going cold turkey once they've bought a DVD player, or so it seems. My 2 AIWAS were just under $900 each, though. That includes taxes and extra warranty.

Alan Naumann
August 20th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Hi - saw your question, and thought I better answer since funeral videos is over half of what I do in video. Please visit my web site www.memoryvision.tv for more information about what I do, and a sample of my work. Please email me with any questions to: anaumann@mn.rr.com. Thanks for your interst. Alan

Craig Terott
August 22nd, 2005, 07:36 AM
Very nice site Alan.

I have to admit that the subject matter is a bit morbid but when I see Alan's site I can really see the value in it for some people.

Quote:t "my cut is $220"

...ummm ...I wouldn't ever want to take advantage of someone who just cashed in a $200k life insurance policy but that being said, I would find it difficult to get out of bed for $220. I'm thinking that not only do you have the funeral day itself but also editing and you must have some sort of consultation with the customer? It doesn't quite add up does it?

Is someone else out there doing better financially providing this kind of service?

Craig Terott
August 23rd, 2005, 12:39 PM
hmmm... I guess the lack of responses to my query, sorta answers my question.

Craig Terott
August 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM
The silence is deafening.

Sam Gates
August 24th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I had never heard of doing funerals until I saw this thread. Monday I saw a local funeral director so I asked him what they do. He said a local wedding videographer does theirs for $300.00. This takes about an hour and a half and he does not edit or and titles.

Sam

Craig Terott
August 25th, 2005, 06:47 AM
No editing? What else don't they do? Souds amaturish.

I'm thinking there's a market for a higher-end production that's more polished and professional. That same funeral home possibly could be offered by you, a $1200 version? It's all how they pitch it. They say to the folks, we've got this one guy that charges $300 and we've also got this other company that does a more masterful job and charges $1200. I would think there are plenty of people that would opt for the more expensive production... probably the same one's who chose the $6,000 casket.

Bob Costa
August 25th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Let us know how it goes.

Jay Gladwell
August 25th, 2005, 10:16 AM
... probably the same one's who chose the $6,000 casket.
No reflection on anyone else, but I've left strict order to plant me in a plain ol' pine box. Talk about throwing money down a rat hole! In the event my orders are not carried out, I will come back and haunt the person responsible!

I shot a memorial service about two years ago. Very strange. The mom kept changing things and wanting things added (including an animated photo montage). The final bill was over $2,500. That was totally her call.

Jay

Craig Terott
August 25th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I think it helps the grieving process. Some many perceive there efforts as a last opportunity to do something extra for their loved one. But it's really for them. I can see the customer's over involvement on my radar screen Jay. Yep, I can see that happening.

This is a little off topic but I gotta mention it. Many funeral homes will try real hard to sell believe it or not. I remember seeing a hiden camera investigation on some ambush investigative program and it was unreal. They were telling people they were out of the inexpensive caskets. Some would apply some pretty hostile guilt-trip tactics when they explain the types of caskets... like "we've got these 4 here and the least expensive one is this one but it's nothing more than a coffee can. But it's up to you if that's the one you want." NO KIDDING! So get ready to do some haunting Jay.

Dan Shallenberger
September 1st, 2005, 02:22 PM
From what I'm reading here, it seems all these funeral videos have is photos. What if you added some home movie footage of the deceased in addition to photos? I think that would add a more interesting touch, and you wouldn't have to film a thing, as the client would just give you some tapes.

Also, what about recording audio only of a few, for lack of a better word, statements or comments from friends and family? Maybe just a nice memory that matches with a couple photos or something. It would add such a personal touch from those that might not be able to give a eulogy. Just play the audio over the music at different parts of the film.

I know this all adds to the time and cost, but would people be willing to pay more for something a little more personal? I would certainly rather have a beautiful, personal keepsake for my family that can be watched over and over again, than an over-priced box to bury me in!

What do you think?

Dan

Bob Costa
September 1st, 2005, 06:41 PM
Dan, I think you should try it and let us know. SOmeone has to be first.

Young Lee
September 2nd, 2005, 02:13 AM
Hi - saw your question, and thought I better answer since funeral videos is over half of what I do in video. Please visit my web site www.memoryvision.tv for more information about what I do, and a sample of my work. Please email me with any questions to: anaumann@mn.rr.com. Thanks for your interst. Alan

Wow, this thread is alive once again~! Thanks Alan. Right now it's 1:13AM so I'll email you later. :) Gotta go to bed now.

Bob Costa
September 7th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Here is the next latest in funeral video business:

http://www.vidstone.com

Craig Terott
September 7th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Now I've seen it all.

Matt Sawyers
September 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Okay, know that's just getting a bit weird...haha...okay, no thats just weird. But hey maybe they are making good money who knows...

Craig Terott
September 8th, 2005, 06:06 AM
I can see it now... customer wants you to change something after it's already in the stone.

ha ha ha

Young Lee
September 10th, 2005, 07:29 PM

http://www.vidstone.com

Thanks for the link~

Shaun Foulds
March 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I filmed my first funeral about 3 months ago and am now averaging two a month. Funeral filming is a lot simpler than wedding videos and so I'm welcoming the work. However, some funeral videos are more difficult than others. I did a Caribbean style funeral the other week which was a lot more complex and took a lot longer to edit than the average funeral video.

I tend to get booked mostly by family members who can't make it due to high costs of travel. I got booked last month from relatives in Australia, Canada and New Zealand. As always, it's a real privilege to film something like this.

Here's part of a funeral video I shot a couple of weeks ago.

Funeral Filming and Funeral Videos by Beautiful Life Event Films (http://www.beautifullifeuk.com/blog/articles/funeral-filming-service/)

Noel Lising
March 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM
In the lean months I do shoot funerals, it is pretty straight forward, stress free and you don't have to worry about doing money shots. Believe it or not we get photography packages as well. It is very simple as well, pose each family beside the coffin ( don't forget that its a funeral, meaning don't say BIG SMILES everyone).

Music is easy as well, Josh Grobin and the theme song from Ghost those are the only 2 songs you need.

I thought about doing funeral shoots exclusively but never had the chance to market myself (part of me still want to shoot the celebration of life, rather than the end of it).

Chris Harding
March 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Hi Noel

I actually considered it because as you say, it's less stressful than a wedding and nothing is rushed!! My buddy over East says he does around 6 a year!!

In Australia most weddings are done in a funeral home with a civil celebrant so shooting those would be fairly easy. They usually have the coffin on display at the premises so there is no hearse as such but the celebrant gives a little talk followed by family coming up with something to say. It would almost be like doing wedding speeches here!!! Hardly creative but there would be an income as most funerals are during the week anyway!!

Do you pay the funeral director a big cut or does the family contact and hire you???? I do my Realty Inspection reports for $200 for maybe 2 hours work so funerals might be a neat extra source of income..where we are we also have an ageing population and lot's of funeral homes.

I have only been to a couple of services here and the only thing they do is put up a slideshow using old photos with the deceased favorite songs.

Hmmmm might be worth looking into????

Chris

George Kilroy
March 16th, 2011, 03:11 AM

VIDSTONE.COM | WELCOME | VIDSTONE - Home Page (http://www.vidstone.com)

If you put one of those into a gravestone here, it would be out and on Ebay the next day; cemented in or not it would be gone.

I been asked to do four. Two of those were for Caribbean families who seemed to be quiet relaxed about it and the result was very satisfactory for the family and for me. One was for an Indian family who live next door to me. They wanted it filmed but only wanted to look at it. They said that they wanted to see the funeral but could not keep the video or even stills of the funeral for cultural reasons. The other was for a English family, it was very stressful. The immediate family were okay but the extended family and friends looked embarrassed, self-conscious and threw many daggered looks at me as if to say don't film me you insensitive vulture. Before you think that I was being in their face I wasn't everything was shot at discrete distance but everyone was so conscious of it being filmed. I've never offer to do another, I just don't feel it's for me.

Noel Lising
March 16th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Hi Chris, sorry for the late reply. I charge $ 500 for a 4 hour shoot ( Funeral Home/Church/Cemetery/Reception), the edit is pretty straight forward like I don't take tons of footage and I basically shoot edit already.

My plan was to contact funeral homes which I never get to do, the people who calls me got my number from a local newspaper I advertise in. Other Studios who shuns away from funerals throws me some business as well. I know one Event DV 25er back then exclusively shoot funerals, so I know there's money to be made.

Kren Barnes
March 16th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Got offered to do this numerous times, but just cannot get myself to do it.. i understand the reason and need for the service but luckily i have the option of saying no thanks. I guess if its a job to pay the mortgage and such then that is certainly an "untapped" market...

Kren
www.verticalvideoworks.ca