View Full Version : Need a few items...

Joshua Wachs
October 1st, 2002, 04:00 PM
I am looking to get a couple of items for my GL2...

1. A microphone that's a bit better than one that sits on the top currently... Is there an inexpensive upgrade? What about for one that's is attached and another recommendation for one that's not?

2. A lens hood for the wide angle attachment? Anyone have a dealer and part # where I can pick that up?

Thanks!

Frank Granovski
October 1st, 2002, 04:32 PM
You might try one of the sponsers on this board. What type of adaptor do you have? Does it have filter threads so you can get a screw-on hood? The ME66/K6 is a very good mic. You might also want to get the Beachtek.

Barry Goyette
October 1st, 2002, 05:25 PM
I think you can buy the canon hood seperately through zgc.com ($37 if I remember)....my older WD-58 had a few marks on it, so I sprung for new one with the hood... the hood is beefy, but nice, and it keeps stuff away from the otherwise completely-exposed-massive-front element.

I have the k6, me-66 senheiser, and I like it a lot, I think the canon DM-50 is also a good choice for about half the money.

Barry

Chris Hurd
October 2nd, 2002, 12:57 AM
Also look into the Sennheiser MKE-300, an affordable (prosumer) short stereo shotgun.

Any of our Canon dealer sponsors can obtain the WD-58 lens hood for you. See www.dvinfo.net/sponsors

Joshua Wachs
October 2nd, 2002, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will be contacting you sponsors shortly.

Question about the Sennheiser mics...

Will they mount directly like the DM-50 or do I need to get a attachment such as http://www.rycote.com/website/products/monomodular.html ?

thanks!

Joshua Wachs
October 2nd, 2002, 07:22 AM
Any comments on the MKE-300 vs. the DM-50?

Frank Granovski
October 2nd, 2002, 02:14 PM
The DM-50 is better. With the MKE300, I've been told by my dealer that it has a poor history. Many came back to the dealer (I use) because they stopped working. Now this dealer will not carry the MKE300. I've read that Sennheiser has since improved this model, but I don't know how much it has been improved.

Joshua Wachs
October 2nd, 2002, 02:20 PM
OK, I am going to try to figure out what I need to get the ME66/K6 going. I ordered the MKE-300 (before I read your mail) but the more I read from you and others, it seems like if I have the cash, spend the extra bucks and get the ME66/K6 setup. I just need to figure out how to get it on the camera, etc. etc.

Anyone have a noobie setup guide?

Marco Leavitt
October 2nd, 2002, 03:21 PM
I have an ME66 that I mount on top of my GL-1 with a Sennheiser MZS CAM. It works great. The shockmount is metal and pretty sturdy, although I would have to say that I don't like the mounting assembly -- it's plastic. Still, at least it won't scratch the hot shoe and there's a screw hole on the bottom so you can mount it on top of a tripod if you want. The mike is pretty sensitive and picks up a substantial amount of camera noise, but if you turn on the attenuator it pretty much disappears. This mount holds the mike at exactly the right position so that it can't be seen at the widest setting with a WD-58 adapter. Plus, it looks really mean on top of my camera! By the way, I have a studio 1 Pro XLR adapter which is surprisingly easy to handhold.

Joshua Wachs
October 3rd, 2002, 02:02 PM
"The mike is pretty sensitive and picks up a substantial amount of camera noise, but if you turn on the attenuator it pretty much disappears"

where does one find this setting?

Marco Leavitt
October 3rd, 2002, 02:54 PM
Note: I have a GL1 and you have a GL2, which has much better audio controls. I turn on the attenuator through the menu button. It may be different for you, if your camera even has one. It may be that with the ability to set the audio levels manually, the attenuator function is superflous on your camcorder. I'm sure someone in here can help you. If you get the ME66, let us know how it works out for you. I want a GL2 sooooo bad.

Joshua Wachs
October 3rd, 2002, 04:22 PM
I got the ME66 and it's making the humm you spoke of... since I'm a bit of newbie, I need a bit of hand holding. :-) I'll read thru the manual a bit and try to figure this out but if anyone has the areas I should look thru in the gl2 manual, that would be awesome!

ThankS!