View Full Version : Final CUt output to video monitor?

Sergio Perez
March 8th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Dear FCPRO Experts:

I'm a newbie in the program. Seeing trough the manual I still can't figure out how I can have a realtime output to video monitor view trough my final cut pro hd- I have a powerbook 1.67ghz (the new ones). I tried setting the output to firewire, but it only seems to work on "print to video"- while editing there's no footage in the monitor (no realtime output). It can't stream the info to the camera. I know this is a problem on my side, since even the old premiere 6.5 could do this. Please help! The powerbook monitor is just not enough, and I've got a couple of important (big $$) projects coming up...

Sérgio

Rhett Allen
March 8th, 2005, 04:00 PM
There are two different settings. View External Video, both on playback and print to video. If you don't have anything connected, there's nothing to send it to. You need to either connect something to it or make sure you have it all set up correctly. You can send the video to your Firewire port, your S-Video out port or your DVI out port, THEN you have to tell FCP that you are doing it.
It sounds like you are just missing the set-up. Go back and review your preferences and Audio/Video settings.

Sergio Perez
March 9th, 2005, 07:41 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Rhett Allen : There are two different settings. View External Video, both on playback and print to video. If you don't have anything connected, there's nothing to send it to. You need to either connect something to it or make sure you have it all set up correctly. You can send the video to your Firewire port, your S-Video out port or your DVI out port, THEN you have to tell FCP that you are doing it.
It sounds like you are just missing the set-up. Go back and review your preferences and Audio/Video settings. -->>>

Thanks Rhett. The problem was I didn't go to "view", external video, show all frames". I never tought I should need to do something extra beyond configuring video and audio settings. I also read and tried to use the "mac + f2" comand to output to external monitor, and It can also work, with my editor screen from the editing environment transported to the video monitor- However, is there any other way for me to output to s-video to edit? Or do I have to "cheat"and use the before mentioned command?

Rhett Allen
March 10th, 2005, 04:15 PM
When I do it all I have done is made the setup (in "Audio/Video Settings") "video playback" set to "Digital Cinema Desktop Preview - RAW" and it works fine. I connect a S-Video cable from the laptop to my studio monitor. You do have to make sure the TV (etc.) is plugged in and that the OS see's it by clicking on the monitor icon in the top right corner and selecting "detect displays". Then it will give the resolution of 720x480 to the external NTSC monitor. Now whenever I open FCP, it gives me the same settings.

If you have several setting you use frequently (s-video, firewire,etc.), you can create custom easy setup settings so you don't have a song and dance each time.

Sergio Perez
March 10th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Very helpfull Rhett! Thanks- everything works fine now!

Rhett Allen
March 10th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Anytime! Glad to hear it's working, have fun!