View Full Version : PCMCIA FW1394 XM-2 problems

Sasha Stojkovich
March 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Hello,

for last 3 weeks, I am another happy owner of XM2 (PAL GL-2). Recently, I finally finished the 60min tape and I wanted to transfer it to my notebook. I got a firewire PCMCIA card. The card was recognized, then the camera got recognized and I was able to control the camera via capture (transfer) apps, like ULEAD DVD Movie Factory 3, Adobe Premiere Pro, WinDV & Windows Movie Maker. But whenever I started the capture, the capture was not working and I had no preview on my notebook screen.
These are some of the error messages that I got:
WinDV
Nothing captured. Please check if there is any input signal. Perhaps no device control is selected.
Capture Failed.
The created file is corrupt and unusable.
It will be automatically deleted.
[13011:5:3]

WMM:
The video was not captured correctly. Verify that your video camera and capture device are configured properly.

I started to read different forums, but was not able to solve the problem. I took it to my another 4-5 years notebook, and it was working there!?

I realized it might be some compatibility issue. I asked my friends and I got 2 more Firewire cards. One with the same chipset as mine (NEC) and one with VIA. THe NEC was didn't work, even the camera was not recognized, but that might be due to the bad card (the ports looked bent), but to my big surprise, the VIA chipset based card was working and I had a preview. I managed to capture with WinDV and ULEAD, but not with Premiere PRO.

I don't know if this is a compatibility issue of NEC chipset with my XP PRO SP2 notebook, or that the card migth need additional power via its power connector (that I didn't use).

I was hopeing that I am not the only one that has experienced similiar issue.

thanks for sharing,
Sasha

PS: I also got finally the smallest bag possible to fit the basics KATA 101!