View Full Version : Problems with tape eject on GL2

Jeff Bradt
March 12th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Well I have a GL2 that I've had for only a month. On a few occasions the tape eject hasn't worked and I've had to retry it to get it to work. Is this the way it starts? I'm very worried about taking this on the job. - Jeff

Rob Lohman
March 13th, 2005, 05:25 AM
If you've only had it for a view months I assume you still have
warranty. If so I would have it checked out and fixed under
warranty, you don't want these sort of things and you could
very well have a bad tape mechanism.

Mark Williams
March 13th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Common problem, at least with the one I had. Close the cover door and try again. If it doesn't open the 2nd time then send it in for service.

Regards,

Mark

David Ennis
March 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Opening the cassette hatch sends a signal to the microprocessor which issues the command to activate the cassette mechanism. If the microprocessor is busy, it may ignore the signal.

One reproduceable example is to place the power slide switch in camcorder mode, then switch from lock to standby and quickly open the cassette hatch before the LCD lights up. The cassette mechanism doesn't wake up unless you close and reopen the hatch.

There are probably other, more subtle microprocessor states that can cause the signal to be ignored. Closing and reopening the hatch has always worked for me, so I havent' worried about it.

Jeff Bradt
March 13th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Thank you very much for the good info. I won't panic yet.

LeEarl Rugland
March 18th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Jeff,

One of the guys I shoot with had the same thing happening with his GL2 when he was in New Zeland. When he got back home he had me pull the videos off and edit them. As I was pulling the footage off the tapes, the tape quit ejecting all together. BAD NEWS was he had to send it to Canon and they had to replace the drive moter and the heads. Cost him right around $800!! Not to scare you aff at all.

LeEarl