View Full Version : FCP 4:1:1 Color Smoothing output question

Jay Silver
March 12th, 2005, 09:36 PM
When I render out a bit of footage with FCP (v. 4) and its built-in 4:1:1 Color Footage, I get a green line down the right edge of the result.

Sample (http://www.globo-chem.net/~jay/GREEN.jpg)

Can anyone tell me what this is? Does anyone have a coping method? I'm reluctant to simply enlarge and crop the footage.

-j

Rob Lohman
March 13th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Are you saying this is coming from FCP or the camera? You could
make a simple mask that puts a small black bar on the right side.

If your footage is solely for TV then the line will be in the area that
the TV does not show.

Graeme Nattress
March 13th, 2005, 08:00 AM
It's a bug in the Apple code. I also had it for a while in my G Nicer, which is a vastly superior chroma reconstruction filter that comes with Film Effects. I've now killed the bug, but I'm not exactly sure where it comes from in FCP, but anything green is usually a RGB / Y'CbCr problem. What rendering mode is your timeline set to?

Graeme

Jay Silver
March 13th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Thank you both for the replies. I'm sorry, Graeme, but I'm still too new to FCP to know exactly where to find out what rendering mode my timeline is set to. Can you tell me where to look?

-j

Graeme Nattress
March 13th, 2005, 10:26 AM
If you control click on your sequence, it will tell you.

Graeme

Jay Silver
March 13th, 2005, 12:35 PM
RGB only.

I tried the G Nicer demo but I didn't see any signifigant difference, although I agree the samples on your page are impressive. I think the built-in one'll do for my project, I'll just have to crop the footage.

Thanks for the help.

-j

Graeme Nattress
March 13th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I need to put out a new demo as the version in Film Effects 2.1 is a lot better, and I'll be able to put out some better demo images too. But, for most uses, the Apple Filter is fine. But as an R&D person, fine is never good enough :-)

It could be the RGB rendering that's the issue. Change it to YUV.

Graeme