View Full Version : Help!!!

John Merizalde
March 15th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Ok, I am finding many, many sites where the GL2 is only about 1000-1500 dollars, and I wanted to know if these sites were legit (tcs, usaphotonation, infiniti, royal camera), because it just sounds too good to be true. I am in the production of a film and would really like this camera, but only have about 1000 to spend, so I was wondering if any of you knew any sites that sold it that cheap and weren't scamming anybody. Also, do any of you know of any sites where I can purchase the Canon GL1, new, and under 1000?

David Ennis
March 15th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Sorry, but offerings at $1000-1500 for the GL2 are 100% scams. You can check out an online merchant that you wonder about at relsellerratings.com.

Legit prices are no lower than the $1900 + range, and even at that level you will get pressure to buy accessories, and your refusal may be greeted with varying degress of rudeness leaving you feeling a bit uneasy.

John Merizalde
March 16th, 2005, 05:26 AM
http://www2.infinitiphoto.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=3498
http://www.bestchoicedigital.com/store/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=101&page_id=23&Item_ID=2538
http://store.tcscamera.com/cangl2digcam.html
http://royalcamera.com/cangl2digcam.html
http://www.usaphotonation.com/products.asp?product_id=10010&dept_id=2532&engine=Google

These are fake? Some of these are real camera companies.
Also, do you know where I can buy the GL1?

Jimmy McKenzie
March 16th, 2005, 06:23 AM
I don't think that they are fake, they just have a non-traditional methodology of re-packaging the sale. Post the price for an imaginary SKU that includes only the camera. Make that price unapproachable by even the most immense big box electronic store and let the phone calls begin. That's when you find out that in their world a battery, charger and warranty are not part of the standard issue. For that you have a price that represents something a bit more realistic in terms of what the manufacturer had in mind for the SKU being shipped.

Keep your guard up. If you are looking here for justification to make a purchase from an unknown entity you simply won't get the endorsement.

These aren't scams ... they're just pretty html storefronts that play on the basic emotions of a price focussed consumer electronics shopper. Perhaps a tad unethical but not illegal. What ever you do, pay with your credit card and investigate the non-delivery clause of your credit card agreement.

Or you can just check out the various sponsors here at dvinfo.

Mathieu Ghekiere
March 16th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Hey John, I have to agree: it should be a scam at that price.

BUT, you can always ask on the Private Classifieds boards here if someone has one to sell for you, with a little luck you could find a GL1 (not 2) for around 1000 dollars, maybe.

You can always try. Good luck!

David Ennis
March 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Okay, I checked the dictionary and maybe "scam," which implies fraud, is too strong a word. However, they are all certainly deceitful. Deceitful translates to not trustworthy, and for me that's a deal breaker.

John Merizalde
March 16th, 2005, 03:54 PM
So, I guess the GL2 is out of the question. Do any of you know where I could purchase the GL1? I don't trust Ebay, so do any of you know a big name store, or is it possible to buy it from Canon directly? It doesn't even have to be online, just any store. I need to know soon. I just need a cheap 3ccd camera, less than 1000, and if any of you know where I can find one (Canon, Panasonic, or Sony) that is reliable, that would be a great help. I am building a mini35, and need one for it.

Darren Altman
March 16th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I bought a GL2 from a website for $1540.00 and that was after rebate. I had no problems at all. I posted the name of the site a few weeks ago but my post was deleted. If you email me I will let you know where i got it.

As for other sites that sell for $1000. bucks, do a google on digital camera scams in Brooklyn. You will find a few angry customers of sites like Best Choice Digital and other Brooklyn based companies. They hook you with the ultra low price. Then you find out that the camera comes with nothing other than the camera. You get no warranty no battery or even a charger.

The best thing to do is make sure where ever you buy from that you call company and confirm what exactly you get. Some may be selling you a international version if the GL2. Which is not covered in the US for warranty work.

Good luck to you.
Daltman584@aol.com

John Merizalde
March 16th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I see then. Well, then I ask of any of you: I need to know what is the best camera (any brand) that is 3ccd and under 1000 dollars. If any of you could please give me the name of the product or if any of you know where I could buy a NEW GL1, then please, let me know as soon as possible. Remember, any 3ccd camera 1000 and under, that is good quality. Thanks.

Jimmy McKenzie
March 16th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Hi John ... your price criteria coupled with the 3 ccd idea new in the box with any kind of pro feature set is not available. That, along with a weak US buck will keep you out of ownership for a while...

Best to start your search a little further north closer to 2 grand ... and then you'll need audio tools to go with it..

The GL1 is no longer available unless a retailer has a very dusty box that was missed during the last inventory count.

Darren Altman
March 16th, 2005, 05:56 PM
John,

I've done a lot of research on 3 CCD cameras. I could tell you where you can get a Panisonic for about $800. but as soon as I post it the board master will delete my post.
Email me and will talk.

Darren Altman
Daltman584@aol.com

John Merizalde
March 16th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Darren I emailed you. Does anybody else have an answer to my questions? Is anybody selling their GL1?

John Merizalde
March 16th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Also, I will be purchasing the camera in June. Do you think the price for the GL2 will have gone down by then?