View Full Version : general microphone knowledge

Hans Kuipers
October 6th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Can anyone tell me what phantom powering is and the relation to XLR adapters. In other words if you want phantom powering do you need XLR connection, what is the advance of XLR connection (besides it is a more sturdy connection) and what does phantom powering give me for advantages.

Is the DM-50 a significant improvement compared to the built-in mic of the GL2 or can I get (for a little more money) a better microphone.

Jeff Donald
October 6th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Hi Odessadream,

Much of this has previously been covered in the community. Your asking some great questions and I hope your learning from the resources here. One of the really great resources is the search button in the upper right corner. You'll find the by utilizing the search function your answers can be found almost instantley in many cases.

XLR connectors are used with balanced audio. Balanced audio will eliminate or reduce hum over long cable runs, or in noisy RF enviornments. XLRs provide a locked connection and is sometimes used with unbalanced audio for the locking benefits.

Generally speaking better microphones require either phantom power or internal battery power. Phantom powered mics usually use XLRs and take advantage of the additional benefits of balanced audio.

Jeff

Frank Granovski
October 7th, 2002, 12:44 AM
The DM-50 will improve your sound, you will notice it, with a good Senn/Beachtek, even more so.