View Full Version : Fcp Help

Richard Guaty
March 22nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
1) I can't seem to extend basic transitions such as a cross disolve to be longer than the default length? (even when there is enough source clips in both directions)

2) In Livetype, I can't get an affect to play throughout the entire title. It stops somewhere in the middle of the title but still is displayed. For example, If I apply a liquid affect to the matte of a tilte, it will be animated for a few seconds and then freeze, leaving the liquid affect standing still in the title matte...?

Advice....?

Thanks, Rich

Shane Ross
March 22nd, 2005, 02:01 PM
I don't use livetype so I will stick to question 1:

To extend a dissolve length, double click on it. It will appear in the VIEWER, and then you can change the duration to what you want.

How are you trying to do it?

Richard Guaty
March 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
Trying the same way but hasn't been able to work. I'll try again tonight and let you know.

Thanks alot!

Rich

Richard Guaty
March 22nd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Another quark I just remembered I had with FCP is adjusting the clip speed. Sometimes it lets me make a clip faster or slower but sometimes an error pops up, not allowing me to speed up a clip.

Would anyone know why? Shouldn't you be able to speed up all and any clips?

Shane Ross
March 22nd, 2005, 03:00 PM
Open the clip in the viewer and type Apple-N, right?

Are all these clips captured from DV tape? What error are you getting?

Richard Guaty
March 22nd, 2005, 03:05 PM
I have been using command J and adjusting that way. My media is from DV so I dont know why I'm having trouble. I'll try what you suggested when I get home tonight.

Thanks

Shane Ross
March 22nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
OH...wait. I am wrong. Apple-N is freeze frame. Apple-J is speed control.

brain fart.

Dave Perry
March 22nd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Actually Shane, Apple N is New Sequence. Shift N is freze frame:)

Richard, I've had the speed adjustment error before as well. Sometimes I just pull the clip I want to adjust, to the end of the sequence, adjust the speed (Apple J) then drag it back to where I need it.

As for extending transitions, what you describe is the classic example of running out of clip handles but you say you have enough. The way I adjust trans duration it to just drag one end of it out in the timeline. Sometimes turning off snapping helps make adjustments easier if it's only a small adjustment. Press N to toggle snapping on and off.