View Full Version : Speed adjustment in FCE

John Snoddy
March 24th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I had a reel of old Super 8 sound film transfered to DV. Only problem is it was transfered at 24 FPS, but was shot at 18 FPS!

I know you can adjust speed in FCE, but not sure how or how effective it will be. I need both audio & video tracks slowed down.

I'm hoping this is an easy one. I'm very new to FCE and that 900 page PDF user manual is pretty intimidating!

Boyd Ostroff
March 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Assuming it's the same as FCP (which I believe it is): Drop the clips into a sequence and select them, then Modify > Speed and enter a percentage. 18/24 = 0.75, therefore you should enter 75%. Give it a try and see how it works for you...

John Snoddy
March 31st, 2005, 11:47 AM
Worked great. While I agree that the math says 25% reduction, that didn't work out too well. 10% to 12% got voices to sound normal.

Turned out I had a sound roll mixed in with silent footage on one reel. Entire reel processed at 18 FPS. Sound was fine, but off by about 18 seconds. Just slid the sountrack around until I got things matched up (great shot of my son playing with a toy hammer filmed 22 years ago was my "slate"). Looks like I'm getting the hang of this!