View Full Version : FCP QUESTION....creating high-quality still frames

Richard Guaty
March 24th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I'm trying to create a decent-quality jpeg or still image using FCP but I've only been able to make a heavily pixelated copy.....? Surely there must be an adjustment for the settings?

ANYONE?,

Thanks,
Rich

Boyd Ostroff
March 24th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Well remember that video is not very high resolution when it comes to stills - 720x480 is all you've got to work with. Unless you have an XL2 or DVX100 and can shoot progressive the your camera introduces some blurring as well, effectively reducing the vertical resolution by maybe 25%. An with interlaced video you also get "jaggies" on anything that moves.

To export a still in FCP HD choose File > Export > Using Quicktime Conversion, then choose Still Image from the drop down Format menu. Use the Options button to choose the file format you want. If using JPEG, be sure to click the options button in that dialog and choose highest quality.

The technique in FCP 3 is pretty much the same, but is accessed via File > Export > Quicktime instead.

Also see this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2977

Zach Mull
March 25th, 2005, 01:25 AM
I get the best results when I export the image as a PNG, use the De-interlace filter in Photoshop and then covert to JPEG. But even then the image is not high enough quality that I use it for anything except small preview stills on websites or thumbnails on DVD boxes. In any case, if you have Photoshop then that's the flow I recommend.