View Full Version : gl2 not detected

Adam Buckley
March 28th, 2005, 08:19 PM
i've attempted to import images/video from my gl2 with both usb and firewire on two different computers. both computers say they can't detect the camera. is there some setting that i changed by switching back and forth between usb and firewire? or is there another problem w/in the camera that could cause it to be undetectable?

Ken Tanaka
March 28th, 2005, 08:35 PM
What platform? (Mac / Windows)
What O/S?
What capture software?
Has it ever worked in the past?
If so, what changed since then?

Ming Dong
March 28th, 2005, 08:38 PM
When capturing video, make sure the TAPE/CARD switch is set to TAPE. When copying images (from your memory card), set it to CARD. The switch is located directly above the Start/Stop button.

Also, depending on the OS your running (on the computer), you may also need to install a "driver" to recognize your GL2. Windows XP does not need a driver.

Adam Buckley
March 28th, 2005, 09:27 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : What platform? (Mac / Windows)
What O/S?
What capture software?
Has it ever worked in the past?
If so, what changed since then? -->>>

both my laptop and my desktop are windows xp. i used premiere on the laptop for video and canon zoom browser on the desktop for images.

both have worked in the past, and i can't figure out what has changed since it worked. the only thing i can think of is moving back and forth between computers and usb/firewire. since the camera isn't being detected on either computer, or w/ either software, i'm led to believe that it's a problem w/ the camera.

i've unplugged/replugged the cables multiple times and made sure that the tape/card switch was in the correct position.

is there any chance the switching make and forth caused the problems? are there any settings on the gl2 i can check?

Sasha Stojkovich
March 31st, 2005, 10:37 AM
Hi,

i have realized recently, that my camera is not recognized anymore by my notebook and FW1934 pccard, when the notebook is connected to power. You heard that right. WHen the notebook is running on battery only, everything is working OK.

Sasha

Graham Bernard
March 31st, 2005, 10:53 AM
Sasha - Your notebook wouldn't be a Dell .. would it? . .hmmm...

Grazie

Graham Bernard
March 31st, 2005, 10:54 AM
. . and you mean 1394 card . . yes?

Sasha Stojkovich
April 3rd, 2005, 05:41 AM
the notebook is not a Dell and yes, it it a FW1394 pcmcia card with NEC chipset.

Sasha

Adam Buckley
May 15th, 2005, 11:44 PM
well, now that i've got some time, i've decided to try and remedy this problem.

i was concerned that there was a blown port on my camera or something, but my desktop now recognizes the gl2 through usb. however, my laptop still does not seem to recognize it through firewire...there is no 'canon dv' listed anywhere on the device manager ('canon dv' is listed on the device manager for my desktop). and i still get the 'dv device is unavailable for device control' message when i try and to capture w/ the laptop.

i know this much...
-the 'dv in' light on the gl2 is consistently blinking when it's plugged into the laptop.
-when i plug/unplug the firewire notebook adapter the computer makes the 'da dun' noise, so it apparently knows the adapter is there.
-i have tried two different cables and there has been no difference.
-the laptop used to be able to recognize the camera...don't know what i could have done to change things.

any ideas?

Adam Buckley
May 15th, 2005, 11:50 PM
one more thing...

the laptop does NOT recognize the camera through the usb either.

so...
my laptop does NOT recognize the camera through usb OR firewire
my desktop DOES recognize the camera through usb (no firewire port on the desktop)

there HAS to be some kind of explanation for this!

Graham Bernard
May 16th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Try removing CARD and then replace it? - Only an idea. . . Grazie

Adam Buckley
May 16th, 2005, 12:04 AM
i'm not sure i know what you mean...how would i do that?

the only thing i can think of that i may have done between the time that it worked and now was i got connected to the network at my university. could that have done anything?

Graham Bernard
May 16th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Sorry, is the card in your Laptop a PCMCIA card? - G

Adam Buckley
May 16th, 2005, 12:28 AM
i think so...there's a 'PCMCIA adapter' listed in the device manager. is that what you mean?

Graham Bernard
May 16th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Oh!

My experience is that I plugged my f/w into a PCMCIA card. I could "eject" this card and then "re-seat" it - this assured me that it was seated correctly. But I'm thinking now that you don't use a PCMCIA card for f/w capture - yes? You use a small f/w female plug somewhere on the body of the laptop? - Grazie

Adam Buckley
May 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM
yeah, i just plug the fw adapter into the open slot on the side of the laptop. the cable then plugs into one of three ports on the card.

Graham Bernard
May 16th, 2005, 01:10 AM
OKay ..

"the cable then plugs into one of three ports on the card." . . well, try and remove the PCMCIA card, reseat it CAREFULLY, then choose one or other of the 3 plugs you say you have. It might be that in all the travelling and various pluggings and unpluggins that one or other of the seattings has become .. er . .unseatted!

On my Dell laptop, I can "push" in a eject tab that mechanically pushes OUT the PCMCIA. Now I can do this "hotswappable" OR use the Dell proprietory HARDWARE removal/replace s/w that sits on my Quick Start bar - you have this?

I'm now thinking that somewhere along the road you have unlpugged without using the re,move option. Now this MIGHT have screwed around with the HO Swap options - I've had this - and the card is presently NOT recognised.

PLUS, I now understand you have been connecting to a UNIveristy network? Have you been using the same PCMCIA slot with or without using a further NETWORK PCMCIA card?

Lots more here to easily checkout.

I'm trying . .. HAH!

Grazie

Adam Buckley
May 16th, 2005, 01:54 AM
OKay ..

"the cable then plugs into one of three ports on the card." . . well, try and remove the PCMCIA card, reseat it CAREFULLY, then choose one or other of the 3 plugs you say you have. It might be that in all the travelling and various pluggings and unpluggins that one or other of the seattings has become .. er . .unseatted!

On my Dell laptop, I can "push" in a eject tab that mechanically pushes OUT the PCMCIA. Now I can do this "hotswappable" OR use the Dell proprietory HARDWARE removal/replace s/w that sits on my Quick Start bar - you have this?

I'm now thinking that somewhere along the road you have unlpugged without using the re,move option. Now this MIGHT have screwed around with the HO Swap options - I've had this - and the card is presently NOT recognised.

PLUS, I now understand you have been connecting to a UNIveristy network? Have you been using the same PCMCIA slot with or without using a further NETWORK PCMCIA card?

Lots more here to easily checkout.

I'm trying . .. HAH!

Grazie

i very much appreciate all your help.

when i said that the cable plugs into the card, i meant that it plugs into the adapter. this 'firewire notebook adapter' is what pops out when i push the eject tab. is this what you mean when you're talking about ejecting and reseating a 'card'? i've tried ejecting and resetting the adapter several times, and i've tried all three ports.

i connect to the university network thru a wireless card that is, as i understand it, inside the laptop...that is, i don't have to put a wireless card into that slot as i've seen others do. under 'network adapters' in my device manager the following are listed...
1394 net adapter
broadcom 570x gigabit integrated controller
dell wireless wlan 1450 dual band wlan mini-pci card

any of that helpful? thanks again for your help...

Adam Buckley
May 16th, 2005, 01:59 AM
and when i plug/unplug the firewire notebook adapter, the laptop makes the noise that tells you that it is acknowledging the adapter. it does not make any noise when the cable attached to the gl2 is plugged into the adapter.

Graham Bernard
May 16th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Well, got me beat! Other than the PCMCIA card is fried or damaged. - G

Sasha Stojkovich
May 16th, 2005, 05:33 AM
I had and still have a problem that my camera is not either recognized or sometimes is, but the transfer is not working with my notebook.
THis happens only if the notebook is on power.

The workaround is that everything is working when the notebook is not connected to power and is running from battery.

Why don't you try that?

Sasha

Graham Bernard
May 16th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Oh yes Sasha! - I had this with my Dell Inspiron. BUT the other way around.

.. meaning .. . Dell have this Power Management option. Their "Only Mains" for the mains power still made a call out to the software to CHECK that it was in fact running from the mains. This in turn would create a stumbling of the f/w .. enough to make a break in the flow of DV. soo.... afer reading some others experiences and the effect of the "ALWAYS ON" setting for Dells power management, I set this to ALWAYS ON for the Mains Setting , . . and from that point no problem! NOW you, Sasha, forcing battery only is in a sense - I think - is doing the same - BUT for battery!

Hate IT!

Grazie

Bill Hardy
May 24th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Try downloading drivers for the PCMCIA card if possible. Just a thought. Also if the card came with an installer CD you may want to reinstall software.

Adam Buckley
May 24th, 2005, 12:58 PM
i tried to reinstall the firewire notebook adapter, and i got this message...

DV driver detection is finished. There isn't any installed DV driver detected on your system.

sorry for the stupid question, but how do i download drivers for the PCMCIA card? thanks...

Bill Hardy
May 24th, 2005, 01:16 PM
If there are downloadable drivers for such a card you should go to the card manufacturer's website and download from there.

Bill Hardy
May 24th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Also if you have a VAIO your i-LINK is enabled in Vaio Control Center/Power Options Properties/Vaio Power Management/Other Devices/i-Link Port.

Other laptops may have a similar Control or power management center. You should investigate this possibility.

Oops, guess you would not need a PC card if you had i-Link though. Actually I would need more specs on your system and card.

Adam Buckley
May 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM
i have a dell 600m running on xp.

i have connected the gl2 into the belkin firewire notebook adapter, which slides into the slot on the side of the laptop.

what else do you need to know?

Bill Hardy
May 25th, 2005, 07:05 AM
From what I am getting from this link you need an install CD:

http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5U512&lang=1&mode=

Unfortunately I could not find a link for the cards downloadable drivers, although you can download a user manual if needed.

Do you have the install CD, and if not, where did you get the card?

Bill Hardy
May 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Also even if you used an install CD you must be sure the laptop is looking for the drive the CD is located on. Make sure it is not just looking on the "C" drive, otherwise it will say it did not find the DV driver.

Adam Buckley
May 25th, 2005, 12:20 PM
i do have the installation CD. when i try to install it, it gives me a message that the driver cannot be detected. i got the message that i mentioned above, and now i've gotten this one while trying to install...

DV driver detection is finished. There isn't any installed DV driver detected on your system.

Adam Buckley
May 25th, 2005, 12:29 PM
when i put the installation CD in, i get the following menu under the title of "Firewire Notebook Adapter Installation"...

install photoexpress - my custom edition

install videostudio 5.0

install cool 360

firenet demo

there doesn't appear to be an option to install a driver, unless i'm missing something...

Bill Hardy
May 25th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I am guessing perhaps the driver will not show up. When you insert the card Windows should say something like "New Hardware Found" and proceed with prompts to install the driver. You do not let it install automatically; you select manual, insert the CD and wait a while for it to recognize the CD, and then direct it to the CD path and see if anything shows up.
Again, just a guess. Indeed there may not even be any drivers for such a card but it won't hurt to try it if you haven't already.

Dwain Morse
May 26th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Most laptops using WinXP have a hardware profile that is located in the control panel under System settings. Click on Start, then control panel and then the System icon. If you click on the tab labeled profiles there may be more than one listed. For instance there might be one for a docking station when the laptop is inserted and power supplied by the AC adapter. There might also be a second profile for when the laptop is on battery power.

In my experience, most manufacturers power off the PCMCIA slots and other non-critical adapters to conserve battery power and extend the laptops battery time.

If you look around the various profiles you might find that Windows XP is recognizing your PCMCIA Firewire card but the profile may be turning it off. In otherwords it gives you that wonderful sound that says it acknowledged your card being inserted but is powering it off right after that to conserve power.

Tinkering around in this area should give you the option to disable or enable the firewire card when on battery power.

Hope this helps.

CJ Louis
June 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Mine is a Dell and does this same thing. What could be wrong? The firewire card works fine with battery.

Sasha - Your notebook wouldn't be a Dell .. would it? . .hmmm...

Grazie

Patrick Strobel
July 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
I have an emac using imovie and a mac g4 with fcp 3 and niether computer recognizes either of my gl2's they both see my gl1 just fine any suggestions. The gl4 is os 10.1.4 I think and my Emac is three weeks old so has the latest version of Tiger. I am waiting for my new fcp 5 will that help the problem?

Graham Bernard
July 3rd, 2005, 03:07 PM
Hellooooo CJ!

Here is the very sorry tale of woah stretching back some 3 years. This is the last 6 months of it, well, up to 2004 anyways.

I stumbled on much of the solutions with a couple of fellows over on the Vegas Forum. Then I had a Dell Inspiron 8k - did my ediotng on that - it turned out to be the Dell Power Management!

So, from 16-10-04
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=323853

. . and then from 31-07-03
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=202493

Read the whole thing .. if it helps, great . .if not, then you can cancel it from the equation.

Grazie